Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
!!!!

Forum newbie here, is there a story behind this?

IIRC Isbrown ordered a Model S when orders were first opened in 2009 and was the holder of Model S Signature reservation number 1 in Australia. He surrendered that when the P85D was announced.
He and I along with PeterW from New Zealand travelled to Palo Alto in 2012 for one of the early Get Amped events at the invitation of Jay McCormack who was the Tesla rep in Australia at the time.

IIRC Isbrown ordered a Model S when orders were first opened in 2009 and was the holder of Model S Signature reservation number 1 in Australia. He surrendered that when the P85D was announced.
He and I along with PeterW from New Zealand travelled to Palo Alto in 2012 for one of the early Get Amped events at the invitation of Jay McCormack who was the Tesla rep in Australia at the time.

Thanks guys. Picked up the P85D this morning. The guys in Richmond don't even have their demo cars yet. Somehow they got hold of mine a bit earlier for me. Very good of them. I think one other gets released next week.

Sensational car!
image.jpg
I'm very happy. Worth the 5 year and 11 month wait Dborn!

Thanks guys. Picked up the P85D this morning. The guys in Richmond don't even have their demo cars yet. Somehow they got hold of mine a bit earlier for me. Very good of them. I think one other gets released next week.

Sensational car! View attachment 89090I'm very happy. Worth the 5 year and 11 month wait Dborn!

BEAUTIFUL Car, I love the colour !!!! And I thought waiting for 10 months (September delivery), was a long, long time. I guess not !!

well done and enjoy....

Sensational car! I'm very happy. Worth the 5 year and 11 month wait Dborn!

Congratulations! Great to see that they were able to do something to recognise your patience and long-standing support of the company.

Sensational car! I'm very happy. Worth the 5 year and 11 month wait Dborn!

Congrats! Looks like they were about right when I asked about upgrading to a D and was told 'at least 6 months more to wait'. Enjoy it! I'm still glad I took my original config in December.

Sensational car! View attachment 89090I'm very happy. Worth the 5 year and 11 month wait Dborn!
Fantastic to see Ian, are you tempted by Ludicrous upgrade?
Now we just have to work on Tesla to get cars to New Zealand so PeterW can take delivery of his.

August 2015 edition of Top Gear Australia magazine is the "2015's Hottest Cars Special Edition"

Their cover (and main) feature is a showdown of cars across a wide range of categories for the title of "Performance Car of the year" including:
Mercedes-AMG GT S
Ferrari 458 Speciale
Nissan GT-R Nismo
Porsche Cayman GT4
Megan RS 275 Trophy-R
Mini Cooper JCW
Range Rover Sport SVR
Mclaren P1 GTR
Mazda MX-5
Lamborghini Huracn
Mercedes Benz C63 AMG
Hyundai i20 TG Rally Car
Corvette Z06
Chatham 420R
VW Golf R
Lotus Elise
Aerial Nomad
BMW i8
AND Telsa P85D

You will have to buy the magazine to read the detailed write up (so that I don't get sued for copyright!).

Let's just note that there were only two cars that were faster than the Tesla 0-100km/hr and it kept up with about a third of the field on overall lap times.

A very positive write up and as we have all become accustomed to holds it own and happens to be electric, rather than excuses needing to be made.

Report of price reductions for Model S in Australia (about 7:00am Sat 01/08/2015)

Hi,
I came across this piece titled "Tesla Model S Price Reductions in Australia"
Link: Tesla Model S price reductions in Australia - Practical Motoring
The article is very uninformative. While it does give some prices it does not give before and after pricing or any indication of the reductions in percentage or dollar terms.
Does anyone know what these reductions actually are ?

Edit: Is it possible there are no price reductions, just the introduction of the new single motor Model S70 as the new base model. I find the article very hard to interpret.

Last edited:
Hi,
I came across this piece titled "Tesla Model S Price Reductions in Australia"
Link: Tesla Model S price reductions in Australia - Practical Motoring
The article is very uninformative. While it does give prices it does not give before and after pricing or any indication of the reductions in percentage or dollar terms.
Does anyone know what these reductions actually are ?

l
Prices look the same to me. Last significant change was an increase late April.

Congrats Ian fantastic news!!

Thanks again one and all. Of course, today I ended up taking a couple of mates for a spin and they were blown away. And I don't mean just the acceleration from zero km/h. Sure, Insane Mode is a hell of an experience. But these guys couldn't believe the ride comfort, the quietness of the ride, the fact acceleration is so immediate, the geo locating of the ride height raising, etc. I've been lucky enough to get new generation seats in the back as well as the front and the seats are terrific. A big thank you to the guys in Richmond who have been great to deal with.

No, I don't think I'll be upgrading to ludicrous. No one knows what this will cost in Australia yet, but for a slightly faster acceleration I doubt it will be worth it. (the increase in range is immaterial imho). Believe me, insane mode is enough. I'm not really into electric cars to be the fastest guy off the lights, although it does bring a smile to the dial, especially when the vehicles around you are trying to work out what just happened. I want much more from a car than pure acceleration. And Tesla has delivered on many fronts. When my interest in electric vehicles was conceived so many years ago, it was because of the realization that electric cars didn't have to be a compromise- no hippy mobile for me thank you very much. And when I came across Tesla I realized that there was a company who was going to deliver a luxury car which was also a performance car. But which was also electric and would get us away from gasoline. Perfect! ........And well worth the wait.

Thanks again one and all. Of course, today I ended up taking a couple of mates for a spin and they were blown away. And I don't mean just the acceleration from zero km/h. Sure, Insane Mode is a hell of an experience. But these guys couldn't believe the ride comfort, the quietness of the ride, the fact acceleration is so immediate, the geo locating of the ride height raising, etc. I've been lucky enough to get new generation seats in the back as well as the front and the seats are terrific. A big thank you to the guys in Richmond who have been great to deal with.

No, I don't think I'll be upgrading to ludicrous. No one knows what this will cost in Australia yet, but for a slightly faster acceleration I doubt it will be worth it. (the increase in range is immaterial imho). Believe me, insane mode is enough. I'm not really into electric cars to be the fastest guy off the lights, although it does bring a smile to the dial, especially when the vehicles around you are trying to work out what just happened. I want much more from a car than pure acceleration. And Tesla has delivered on many fronts. When my interest in electric vehicles was conceived so many years ago, it was because of the realization that electric cars didn't have to be a compromise- no hippy mobile for me thank you very much. And when I came across Tesla I realized that there was a company who was going to deliver a luxury car which was also a performance car. But which was also electric and would get us away from gasoline. Perfect! ........And well worth the wait.

Good stuff Isbrown. When was the 'waiting' at its worst for you. From day 1, starting the build or the last week?
By the way, curious to know if you have LTE or 3G.
Happy times with your new ride. :smile:

Quite likely Telstra are providing only 3G-enabled SIMs, regardless of what hardware might now be in the cars.
Tesla are concerned that 4G does not work in much of australia, particularly rural areas, so they are sticking with 3G. Given we don't get an internet browser even when stationary, its unlikely 4G will be a gain for us. My DS in Richmond advised me that the hardware change isnt difficult should the policy ever change.