Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla are concerned that 4G does not work in much of australia, particularly rural areas, so they are sticking with 3G. Given we don't get an internet browser even when stationary, its unlikely 4G will be a gain for us. My DS in Richmond advised me that the hardware change isnt difficult should the policy ever change.

That's a weird reason for not enabling 4G. The radio should be able to automatically fall back to 3G when 4G is not available, just like mobile phones.

I think someone mentioned in another thread that the upgrade will cost about US$500 if you don't already have the right hardware.

Cynix is correct, the 4g hardware is backward compatible, so why would a company work with two different sets of hardware in their factory?? Seems highly inefficient in my opinion. Perhaps they already converted to the 4g set and for some esoteric reason they are not enabling 4g yet? (Think Telstra)

the fact is some U.S. Carriers have announced they are discontinuing support of THREE G soon, are Korea is testing 5G which is 10-20x faster. Where is Oz?

by the way the reason you need faster access times is both the hotspot application for your mobile AND the download speed for google maps

I read somewhere you can. I'll do some digging. Also the Taxi Company in Sydney using Tesla cars state you get free wifi in the car.

- - - Updated - - -

No this is not true - you can't use the car as a wifi hotspot.

How about this then? Quick google search: http://www.techradar.com/au/news/car-tech/telstra-brings-next-g-hotspot-to-the-tesla-model-s-1277604

Telstra is bringing its Next G network to the Tesla Model S, giving one of the most cutting edge vehicles on Australian roads even bigger tech cojones to boast about.
The agreement connects the Model S to Telstra's Next G network, giving occupants access to a web browser, music streaming services, and Google Maps via the car's digital dash and rather large infotainment screens.
The free connection – provided you have $100,000 to spend on a Model S in the first place – also boasts in-car Wi-Fi, which could save anyone embarking on a lengthy road trip over the summer from burning through a considerable amount of mobile data.

I read somewhere you can. I'll do some digging. Also the Taxi Company in Sydney using Tesla cars state you get free wifi in the car.

- - - Updated - - -

How about this then? Quick google search: Telstra brings Next G hotspot to the Tesla Model S | TechRadar

Telstra is bringing its Next G network to the Tesla Model S, giving one of the most cutting edge vehicles on Australian roads even bigger tech cojones to boast about.
The agreement connects the Model S to Telstra's Next G network, giving occupants access to a web browser, music streaming services, and Google Maps via the car's digital dash and rather large infotainment screens.
The free connection – provided you have $100,000 to spend on a Model S in the first place – also boasts in-car Wi-Fi, which could save anyone embarking on a lengthy road trip over the summer from burning through a considerable amount of mobile data.

Media aren't good at reporting facts, looked at all my settings again and can't see how this can be done. If anyone has made the hotspot, please let me know

I'm pretty sure WiFi hot spot is disabled on all Model S as Tesla is paying for the data for the first 4 years
Perhaps after we are paying for our own data Tesla may enable this feature.

So, after the first 4 years Tesla uses our plan for the communications with the car for the next 4 years or indefinitely. How much data do you think that would be?
I haven't a problem with that, just curious to know how that plays out, any info from Tesla about it?
This limit of 4 years data cost by Tesla, is that in documentation somewhere?

Ah I just read this on the ...

Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement
Vehicle Telematics Subscription.
Your Vehicle includes an activated subscription service that records and sends diagnostic and system data to Tesla to ensure that your Vehicle is operating properly, to guide future improvements and to allow us to locate your Vehicle under certain limited circumstances. There is no charge for this service. Access to location data is tightly controlled within Tesla and a history of such is not stored on our servers. We appreciate that customer privacy is of paramount importance (please refer to our privacy policy regarding vehicle telematics available at Privacy & Legal | Tesla Motors). Please feel free to contact us at +1 (877) 798-3752 if you would like to suspend your subscription to these services.

There must be a 4 year limit by Tesla somewhere, and there is a proviso in this to opt out.
I assume this is what is being alluded to or is this something else entirely.

Last edited:
Its disabled for AU mate. You don't have an internet browser right?

It's not disabled for Australia, it doesn't work anywhere. It would violate Tesla's service agreement in the US, and probably everywhere else. Those taxis must have an independent hotspot, it's not the car. There was speculation early on, and Tesla might even have said it 5 years ago, but it never happened and isn't going to.

It's not disabled for Australia, it doesn't work anywhere. It would violate Tesla's service agreement in the US, and probably everywhere else. Those taxis must have an independent hotspot, it's not the car. There was speculation early on, and Tesla might even have said it 5 years ago, but it never happened and isn't going to.

AU doesn't have an internet browser regardless, hotspot or what not.

So at least, pips in the US have confirmed that there is no hotspot at all.

I noticed that the other week, it is now a proper 'outside display' with the information booth under the escalators, a computer on that desk for people to browse the tesla website and quite a few staff on hand, all are contractors I believe other than Matthew and someone else doing test drives. Which I have seen one or two driving in and out of Chadstone and along a section of the Monash now, always happy faces when I'm close enough to see.

Are the rest of the pillars for that Myer lower level carpark red? I seem the remember only the Tesla bay pillars being red, I could be wrong though. Are they about to expand the number of destination chargers to that full row of carparks? I could certainly see that happening given two cars are test cars which leaves only 3 spaces for owners.

Sorry mate, this got buried and wasn't able to reply. Good thing tapatalk has a notification for it. To answer it, yes but only up to where the HPWCs are. Basically just a section of it. Premium parking spots.