Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The article is quoting a 100km/hr charge rate which has to be 32A 3 phase. But it also says they achieved 55km/h which could mean that the car used wasn't fitted with dual chargers or it was being fed at 40A single phase.

100km/hr would indeed be 32A 3 phase, though I'd be surprised (pleasantly) if all the chargers were able to supply that much, due to electricity supply limits in car parks, which of course were not built with EV charging in mind! 16A 3 Phase would still deliver around 50km/hr which is pretty damn good and a lot more sustainable for the car park, and allows them to fit more chargers in the long term.

However, I'm surprised that they're getting 55km/hr, because Tesla haven't released their three phase chargers yet (as far as I know). That means they'd be getting 55km/hr off a single phase charger, which tops out at 40A supply. I didn't think it would charge that fast, normally tops out around 45km/hr.

100km/hr would indeed be 32A 3 phase, though I'd be surprised (pleasantly) if all the chargers were able to supply that much, due to electricity supply limits in car parks, which of course were not built with EV charging in mind! 16A 3 Phase would still deliver around 50km/hr which is pretty damn good and a lot more sustainable for the car park, and allows them to fit more chargers in the long term.

However, I'm surprised that they're getting 55km/hr, because Tesla haven't released their three phase chargers yet (as far as I know). That means they'd be getting 55km/hr off a single phase charger, which tops out at 40A supply. I didn't think it would charge that fast, normally tops out around 45km/hr.
Probably EPA.

The partnership is a big win for Tesla who is in the middle of their national rollout of Superchargers which can potentially charge a Model S completely in around 40 minutes. By the end of 2016, Tesla has said they plan to have their Supercharger network capable of allowing owners to drive from Melbourne to Brisbane without fear of running out of range.

Hmm middle usually means half way...they really are making progress :smile:
At least we'll be able to charge in Brisbane some time before the end of 2016.