Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ouch the pricing is a bit sobering!

It would be great if we could fit some of the options at a service centre rather than lumping them in with the original car purchase price. That way we would save 30% on the luxury car tax on the option costs.

Hopefully Stone is considering what, if anything can be done here.

Actually I'd like to see a lot of the options installed but not activated. That way there could be an activation fee later - improving the car value and also being >30% cheaper. I'd also like to be able to order the + suspension upgrades without needing the P - i.e. an S85+. I prefer handling to acceleration that is rarely used, and that would knock >$10k off the price. At this rate through the P85+ is looking more unlikely for me as I fear it will be $200k.

I'll be visiting my home town of Sydney for a couple of weeks starting next Wednesday. I haven't been reading this thread, there's already too much to read. But I'm glad to see so much activity and excitement. Anyway, I was wondering if there's any kind of Sydney group of (soon-to-be)-owners, and if it would be fun to get together and I could talk about real life experience with the best cars ever?!

Ok, folks, here is a calculation you all can do for yourselves. It is scary For sig specification (leaving out some options like extended leather, mood lighting, premium sound system, parcel shelf, fog lights.) but including pano roof, i came to a figure of $14121 excluding state taxes. Including NSW stamp duty and registration, the total figure comes out at $145940.30!!!!! This excludes the sig premium because i have no idea what it is and none of the other markets have it. It also excludes the promised insulation from the early reservation holder for the price rise in December 2012.
Now, if we could get the car and battery separated with by separate invoicing or a short lease over say 3 months, then the figure saved could be $16874.63!!! for a total price of $129065.67.
This is the extent to which we are ripped off by taxes in this country! Exchange rate used was $1.101.
We really need to see whether we can get Tesla to come to the party! I for one will be bringing this to Stone's attention tomorrow. But letters to Jerome Guillen may also be necessary. I have not done the detailed calks before, but i did write to George Blankenship about this a year or more ago and published that exchange on this forum.

I am curious what the tax implication would be if the cars were imported as gliders and then had the battery (retail price ~$44.5k USD for 85kWh) installed at a service center post purchase. I assume the ~$45k battery would face some import tax and GST as well, but it may spare the 30% LCT surcharge. All depends on how the govt sees it and if the costs of separate shipping + installation are relatively low.

Last edited:
I am curious what the tax implication would be if the cars were imported as gliders and then had the battery (retail price ~$44.5k USD for 85kWh) installed at a service center post purchase. I assume the ~$45k battery would face some import tax and GST as well, but it may spare the 30% LCT surcharge. All depends on how the govt sees it and if the costs of separate shipping + installation are relatively low.
Exactly what i intend to speak to Stone about tomorrow. The car would come in below the LCT threshold, and the battery would be subject to GST and import duty. I believe the saving would be of the order of AUD 16000.00!!!

Exactly what i intend to speak to Stone about tomorrow. The car would come in below the LCT threshold, and the battery would be subject to GST and import duty. I believe the saving would be of the order of AUD 16000.00!!!

Dborn, you could also refer him to this blog from an MS owner who had his 60 kWh battery upgraded to an 85 kWh... it gives details on page 3 about the battery costs, installation costs, additional parts, time, etc. Minus the shipping and sales tax (which I can only assume are different for Australia) the added cost was $725 US.

I would assume that the time and additional parts needed would be even less for a straight install vs. a pack replacement.

If the govt overseers are OK with it, an LCT savings of $16k on a Sig or even $6k on a base 60 could be good enough reason to have a dedicated center for final assembly. Govts are generally not thrilled at the prospect of losing this kind of revenue, but hopefully they can be persuaded to make a temporary exemption for new, upstart technology like EVs

How is the LCT done for cars? Can a manufacturer really deliver a bare car without accessories or engine, and then install before delivery? In Hong Kong, that is protected in that what is registered must be an operational vehicle, and any accessories installed within 6 months are taxes as new.

This forum is quickly getting very depressing. Having bought a house this financial year I'm already spending close to 100% of this year's income on taxes, so explicit calculations of LCT, GST and EOFT (every other tax) is vaguely traumatising. I had also completely forgotten about stamp duty on new vehicles (5% in Victoria) which is another kick in the nuts. I'm still in the running, but I'm getting stretched and I really don't want to compromise too much on specs.
I think that there's zero chance of the current government waiving LCT on EVs; it would go against their ideology. There is a very small possibility they could remove import tax or LCT on cars in the May budget given the collapse of the Australian car industry, but I think this is also unlikely. As it is, car manufacturing will probably cease well before the currently announced dates and the government won't want to do anything that makes them look responsible for this. Removing the LCT is the most likely of these as it would have a smaller impact on Australian-made car sales, and it would play well with the Liberal faithful, and be forgotten about by the time the next election comes about. It wouldn't come into effect until July 1st, but I can wait.
I guess this isn't the right forum to get into the inefficiencies and inequities of the Australian tax system. Previously I haven't minded tax too much, but this year has made me decide to work a lot harder to find ways to pay less tax (and push my accountant harder to find ways). Family trust here I come...

Australian Government and taxes are a joke. As well as the Labor Administration that essentially spent heaps of money on nothing. The NBN is a classic example.

Sadly, even though the Libs are now in power, nothing will change for a significant amount of time. That's why I moved to SoCal :p

Now to find a job. Get my Tesla back from the repair shop this week (got rear ended 5 days into ownership, but that's another story)

Australian Government and taxes are a joke. As well as the Labor Administration that essentially spent heaps of money on nothing. The NBN is a classic example.

Not to go off topic but the NBN was definitely not a waste of money, especially when it would have earned a profit before completion. Plus, only a small amount of the NBN's allocated funding has been spent, and they've connected an awful lot of Australian households with future-proof broadband connections (and increased the value of their houses to boot!).