Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to "My Tesla" page, my car is still not in-country. Anyone know the current status of the wharfies strike? This may seriously throw a lot of people out in terms of receiving their cars this year. Especially given the public holiday days relative to the weekend days. Tesla is delivering over the weekends including Sundays, but if the cars ain't here......

Received from Tesla just now:

- - Quote - -

Hello from the AU Delivery Team,

Our policy at Tesla is to be as transparent as possible. As the holiday season is upon us, transparency of estimated delivery times is very important for both customers and Tesla alike.

The Maritime Union of Australia (MUA) has informed us they are embarking on a round of industrial action and will be stopping work in Sydney Monday the 15th and Tuesday the 16th of December. This industrial action will likely result in a delay in offloading our vehicles from port, as it effects all incoming shipments. At this moment, we do not know to what extent it will affect delivery appointments.

We will continue to do everything in our power to get your Model S keys in your hands as soon as possible. As more information becomes available we will be in contact.

At this point, we are are still hopeful for vehicles to be ready by the end of December.

Thank you for your patience and continued support. The first Australian Model S deliveries are upon us!

Best Regards,

AU Delivery Experience | TESLA MOTORS, INC.

According to "My Tesla" page, my car is still not in-country. Anyone know the current status of the wharfies strike? This may seriously throw a lot of people out in terms of receiving their cars this year. Especially given the public holiday days relative to the weekend days. Tesla is delivering over the weekends including Sundays, but if the cars ain't here......

The MUA has called a strike but the real cuprit is DP World who 'retaliate' by locking the workers out for 20+ hours each time, ie turning a 4 hour stoppage into more than 24 hours. Simply amazing the contempt that the company is showing its customers. More concerned with hurting the striking workers than helping the affected paying customers. No wonder they have been bleeding money here with that attitude.

Tess.jpg

OK, everyone meet Tess. She is Sig 7, and a beautiful silver with white upholstery, but the picture doesn't do her justice, looking greenish from reflecting the trees around near dusk. This was one of the first autopilot cars to go into prep and would probably have been at the launch if we could have attended, so it probably escaped the worst of the strike, but at least you have evidence the flow has started. This has been a crazy day, even without Martin Place. We arrived back from holidays Sunday night and in the morning two of the house tradies phoned us up to say they could finally come over this morning, and two more are due for Tuesday. So our driveway was soon crowded with utes and pipes and roofing material. So naturally Tesla phoned after they were here. The appointment time was delayed and inched from 11.30 to to 4PM. From 4, my wife, son and I had an hour of instruction from Ben and Adam and then I headed home north through the rush hour traffic trying to forget about the Lindt Cafe where I had a coffee a few weeks ago. There is a lot to take in on the first drive, especially the left side indictor stalk and controlling the regen coming to a stop, but the car is simple to drive at its core, and I will have plenty of time to learn better technique. A humble S85, it is still pretty damn fast, good over bumps, quiet, and solid. The steering wheel is a little lifeless, but assured. I prefer smaller cars but this is lively and nimble enough to feel smaller than it is. I have had better seats but there is enough adjustment to make it work. My tall sons just fit in the back, and my wife's handbag just fits on the yacht floor. The Tesla App works and I have 2 x 64 GB music USBs already installed. It made it up our horrendous driveway on very high without a hitch and the home charger works. I won't really have time to drive it or try RDIO until Wednesday because of other commitments but I will take it up to Leura on Friday. Good luck with your deliveries, you have a great car to explore!

View attachment 66050
OK, everyone meet Tess. She is Sig 7, and a beautiful silver with white upholstery, but the picture doesn't do her justice, looking greenish from reflecting the trees around near dusk. This was one of the first autopilot cars to go into prep and would probably have been at the launch if we could have attended, so it probably escaped the worst of the strike, but at least you have evidence the flow has started. This has been a crazy day, even without Martin Place. We arrived back from holidays Sunday night and in the morning two of the house tradies phoned us up to say they could finally come over this morning, and two more are due for Tuesday. So our driveway was soon crowded with utes and pipes and roofing material. So naturally Tesla phoned after they were here. The appointment time was delayed and inched from 11.30 to to 4PM. From 4, my wife, son and I had an hour of instruction from Ben and Adam and then I headed home north through the rush hour traffic trying to forget about the Lindt Cafe where I had a coffee a few weeks ago. There is a lot to take in on the first drive, especially the left side indictor stalk and controlling the regen coming to a stop, but the car is simple to drive at its core, and I will have plenty of time to learn better technique. A humble S85, it is still pretty damn fast, good over bumps, quiet, and solid. The steering wheel is a little lifeless, but assured. I prefer smaller cars but this is lively and nimble enough to feel smaller than it is. I have had better seats but there is enough adjustment to make it work. My tall sons just fit in the back, and my wife's handbag just fits on the yacht floor. The Tesla App works and I have 2 x 64 GB music USBs already installed. It made it up our horrendous driveway on very high without a hitch and the home charger works. I won't really have time to drive it or try RDIO until Wednesday because of other commitments but I will take it up to Leura on Friday. Good luck with your deliveries, you have a great car to explore!

Looks beautiful David! Next time I'm in Leura (probably January) we'll have to meet up and take some photos.

Last edited:
Congrats, David. Thanks to you, I was in the launch - my humble appreciation of your sacrifice!! Yes the regen takes some getting used to. In my case about 3 days. Beware the width of the car, especially on curving ramps such as that at Chatswood Chase leading from the lower parking level up. I came from a small car to this. I have yet to get comfortable parallel parking and am mucking it up. The turning circle is quite wide and I still have a lot of difficulty manoeuvring into the supercharger bays at the SC for instance. Far from a smooth operation! Do try the superchargers at the Star. Just say Tesla to charge on entry and Tesl a finished charging on exit. Whole process is completely free. So, I have now used them both. Just cheap I guess, but the SC is so close to home, that I can't resist. Pity the coffee there comes out cold!!
Lovely car- enjoy!!
Regarding RDIO please check the settings and see whether the email and password fields have Teslas details. If blank, don't fill them in. I am in process with ownership trying to sort out why it is not working. Latest advice was to reset the centre screen which I have done, but still no account details show up. So a further email has gone back to them.

Last edited:
Dborn (too many Davids), many thanks for the RDIO advice. I would have enjoyed meeting everyone at the launch but I think there will be other times. I started off with big cars in Canada so I don't have much trouble with the footprint, which is about the same as a current 4WD. However, our driveway is so skinny that the foliage sets off the proximity sensors when I enter. We are having it all re-landscaped whenever Kuringai Council lets us go ahead.

People walking were pointing at the car on the way home.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks beautiful David! Next time I'm in Leura (probably January) we'll have to make up and take some photos.

Heosat, my first reply disappeared so I'll try again. Please send me a personal email and I will reply with directions for Leura. We have a second charger up there and good coffee and will be there most of January. Mark may also be interested in the second charger as a pit stop.

Okay folks, RESOLUTION of the RDIO problem! Overnight engineering must have pushed the log in email and password to me - i was instructed to reboot the centre screen, go to settings/media/ RDIO. that showed the Tesla account details in their correct fields and all i then had to do was press the log in button. Success.
So, when you get your cars go through the process of checking whether there is any data in the log in fields. If not, contact [email protected] (based in Germany, but if you email ownership it gets directed there.) They have been exceptionally helpful but an exchange of emails takes overnight, so the process is a little prolonged.