Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing I am quite worried about though is whether Elon tweeted this bit of info to stem the drop in TSLA's share price, because traditionally his tweets have sent share prices rocketing up.

Elon's now addressed that question as well:

tweets.png

Tyre Pressure warning. Contrary to what i have been reading on these forums, my car gave me a warning today AND specified that it was the left rear wheel!
I have alloygators fitted, which today, i can verify DO work to save your rims. Partially mounted a kerb because road partially blocked by a truck coming the opposite direction. Very low speed - maybe 1 or 2 Km per hour. This caught just where the alloygator joins (naturally, murphy law), and so partially pulled the alloygator away from the rim and tire. So, i set about fixing this and, of course, deflated the tire completely. After re-inflation, despite the fact that it was at the correct pressure (my gauge could be incorrectly calibrated), i got the warning immediately i went to take it out of jack mode.
I am on 2.2.176.

It does NOT specify the pressure, which it should. If it knows pressure is low, then it probably knows what the reading is.

Tyre Pressure warning. Contrary to what i have been reading on these forums, my car gave me a warning today AND specified that it was the left rear wheel!
I have alloygators fitted, which today, i can verify DO work to save your rims. Partially mounted a kerb because road partially blocked by a truck coming the opposite direction. Very low speed - maybe 1 or 2 Km per hour. This caught just where the alloygator joins (naturally, murphy law), and so partially pulled the alloygator away from the rim and tire. So, i set about fixing this and, of course, deflated the tire completely. After re-inflation, despite the fact that it was at the correct pressure (my gauge could be incorrectly calibrated), i got the warning immediately i went to take it out of jack mode.
I am on 2.2.176.

It does NOT specify the pressure, which it should. If it knows pressure is low, then it probably knows what the reading is.

My tyre placard specifies 45psi for standard 19" wheels, so this should be the same for your 19" Cyclone wheels.
The tyre placard is at the base of the B pillar on the drivers side.
Press the TPMS reset button and drive for 10 minutes for the system to reassess the pressures.

What I meant was the actual pressure in the affected tyre is not displayed. The system has to know, otherwise the warning would not display.
Interesting though, since there was a lot of complaint that the system did not specify which wheel. This has been a very quiet upgrade!! No press conference for this feature!!

Just came across this article about guaranteed buy back value at 3 years for Australian cars.

Tesla Motors announces guaranteed resale program

A bit surprised that we haven't had formal advice of this from Tesla?

i see it as a positive for owners and potential owners, hope it doesn't create a financial liability for Tesla.

I'm happy to state again that anyone considering such a thing call me first :). For the car example in that article I would expect to pay, and indeed would pay, 8 to 10 thousand more than Tesla. I think the model S will keep its value better than people think, and better than other luxury brands.

Is it my imagination or has the traffic crawl feature under cruse control since the last update been more abrupt.? I suspect the update to crawl forward as the car in front moves a short distance has a higher accel rate applied and hence more jerky stopping a few seconds later. In peak hour traffic it was bliss only having to tap the throttle occasionally but Ive noticed needing to go back to actual driving as it becomes to snappy on brakes after a while. Or am I wrong.?

Hi Squidoz
I am about 4 weeks away from ordering a Tesla (probably the 85D) but am concerned about the lack of super chargers in/around Adelaide and I haven't heard any plans by tesla to remedy this any time soon (read 3 years plus)

I would be interested in hearing what restrictions this as has caused you as an adelaide owner/driver.

Cbeers JJ

Hi Squidoz
I am about 4 weeks away from ordering a Tesla (probably the 85D) but am concerned about the lack of super chargers in/around Adelaide and I haven't heard any plans by tesla to remedy this any time soon (read 3 years plus)

I would be interested in hearing what restrictions this as has caused you as an adelaide owner/driver.

Cbeers JJ

OTOH, the more that are sold in Adelaide, the quicker you will get SCs.

Well in Melbourne there are still no superchargers. I live 130km from melbourne and have done 5500km with only once coming home to less than 50kms of electrons to push the car. I love the thought of never setting foot in a petrol station again. So not feeling restricted.

Hi Squidoz

Cbeers JJ

- - - Updated - - -

8 degrees this morning dropping my daughter off to swimming squads and so got to use the seat heaters for the first time...... they have become my new favourite feature of the car!

Also continue to be impressed by how well implemented the autodipping headlights are.

Yes They are our families new favourite feature too! (its great to be able to talk about one of the features a whole family can enjoy about a supercar together.)

Hi Squidoz

Cbeers JJ

with dual chargers you can charge at 100km/hr 22kwh/hr or 25%SOC/hr without a supercharger. while not as convenient as a supercharger they do provide a quick enough charge to make 450km trips not end with tow truck, if you just stop to charge for 30-60mins.

Solution to carrying bicycles.
Tesla DO NOT recommend any other way to carry bikes except on a roof rack. The Boot mounted ones will fit, but there are problems. 1 is that there are pinch sensors that run down the sides of the boot lid under the rubber seal. so, a hook there will trigger the sensor (very close to the edge and runs the full length.) Second is the fact that the top of the door is glass, and although there are "glass adaptor straps" this is a risk to the rear glass.
The Tesla roof rack is over $600 in Australia. It is a Whispbar brand.
I spent a while in Roof Rack world in Artarmon today. It seems that Tesla have an exclusive on the mounting kit from Whispbar for at least the next 8 - 9 months. HOWEVER, following a lot of research by Roof Rack world, they can make up a hybrid kit that fits perfectly on the Tesla. The components are all Whispbar or a related company. The price, complete with Whispbar Framemount cycle carrier (a $280.00 option over and above the price of the rack) is $655.35. Roof Rack World are happy to say that it will withstand a load of 50 Kg. I am in the process of finding out from Tesla what the load rating is for the Tesla product. Roof rack world will obviously mount the bar and adjust it for you, (a one-time deal), and they will teach you how to get a bike up there. There is a technique. Mine is quite heavy as it is a BMX type. However, i tried lifting one they had on site, also quite a heavy bike, and i was able to get it up there.
All these racks, including that from Tesla are fiddly to install, so it is about a 10 minute mounting process, easier with two people. Also, i guess once you have the rack, then all other accessories can be purchased and used such as roof boxes or snow equipment. Even carrying timber.
I would not plan to leave my rack up there but that is an individual choice.
It seems there is significant price gouging going on at Tesla.

The Tesla rack is rated at 75Kg load.

Last edited:
Solution to carrying bicycles.
Tesla DO NOT recommend any other way to carry bikes except on a roof rack. The Boot mounted ones will fit, but there are problems. 1 is that there are pinch sensors that run down the sides of the boot lid under the rubber seal. so, a hook there will trigger the sensor (very close to the edge and runs the full length.) Second is the fact that the top of the door is glass, and although there are "glass adaptor straps" this is a risk to the rear glass.
The Tesla roof rack is over $600 in Australia. It is a Whispbar brand.
I spent a while in Roof Rack world in Artarmon today. It seems that Tesla have an exclusive on the mounting kit from Whispbar for at least the next 8 - 9 months. HOWEVER, following a lot of research by Roof Rack world, they can make up a hybrid kit that fits perfectly on the Tesla. The components are all Whispbar or a related company. The price, complete with Whispbar Framemount cycle carrier (a $280.00 option over and above the price of the rack) is $655.35. Roof Rack World are happy to say that it will withstand a load of 50 Kg. I am in the process of finding out from Tesla what the load rating is for the Tesla product. Roof rack world will obviously mount the bar and adjust it for you, (a one-time deal), and they will teach you how to get a bike up there. There is a technique. Mine is quite heavy as it is a BMX type. However, i tried lifting one they had on site, also quite a heavy bike, and i was able to get it up there.
All these racks, including that from Tesla are fiddly to install, so it is about a 10 minute mounting process, easier with two people. Also, i guess once you have the rack, then all other accessories can be purchased and used such as roof boxes or snow equipment. Even carrying timber.
I would not plan to leave my rack up there but that is an individual choice.
It seems there is significant price gouging going on at Tesla.

The Tesla rack is rated at 75Kg load.

Thanks DB, that's excellent info as usual. I have a bunch of off-road bikes ranging from a sub 10 kg Santa Cruz all the way up to a Stealth Bomber weighing in at around 53 kg. I don't think I'd have a problem lifting the lightweight up onto a roof-rack but the heavyweight...forget about it. At least that gives me some perspective while I wait for my car.