Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interested to know from Australian Model S owners, if anyone had looked into importing the Ecohitch and installing in their Australian Model S.

I am in Sydney and had test driven the Model S. I am keen to order but needed a tow bar to carry our four bicycles on a platform bike carrier (Thule 929). I am not interested in carrying the bicycles on roof rack. The convenience and stability of the Thule 929 with its number plate holder and LED tail-lamp is a work of art that I am keen to keep using. I know officially that Ecohitch is not approved and confirmed with staff in Sydney. I was going to wait for Model X.

But now I am tempted with the value aspect of 70D, and get myself into Tesla motoring sooner!

I'm certainly tempted by the Eco Hitch for the same reasons although we only have 2 bikes. My car will arrive in the next month so I'll test it out before deciding. My preference would be to carry the bikes inside the car if possible, usually we only have 2 passengers although our need to carry a dog might be the spanner in the works that has us buying the Eco Hitch, at least for those occasions where it won't all fit inside

Hi Rad18
I was chatting to one of the US Tesla techs at the Sydney Launch and he was saying that roof racks where possible if you had a sun roof. They have to fit reinforcement rail in the roof zone for the motorized roof module and hence has greater strength and fixing possibilities. Not sure if this was an engineers opinion or official Tesla Speak...

Hi Rad18
I was chatting to one of the US Tesla techs at the Sydney Launch and he was saying that roof racks where possible if you had a sun roof. They have to fit reinforcement rail in the roof zone for the motorized roof module and hence has greater strength and fixing possibilities. Not sure if this was an engineers opinion or official Tesla Speak...

Cars with the sunroof option have mount points for a roof rack. Tesla sells the Whispbar roof rack system. However Rad18 said he didn't want to use a roof rack.

Cars with the sunroof option have mount points for a roof rack. Tesla sells the Whispbar roof rack system. However Rad18 said he didn't want to use a roof rack.
I remember the time I drove into the carport forgetting that the bikes were mounted on the roof racks. $1000 wheel later.... I remembered:cursing:

I haven't used roof racks for bikes since

Thank you doctorwho, Keiron and SR22pilot.

Interesting read of discussion from the forum with regards to warranty: http://my.teslamotors.com/it_IT/forum/forums/trailer-hitch-and-warranty

and a more recent discussion http://my.teslamotors.com/it_IT/forum/forums/tow-capability-85d-mfg-warranty

I suppose it is reasonable that for risk management reason, Tesla is unable to officially approve the Ecohitch.

I avoided roof racks for my current car (BMW X5) due to the stories such as from doctorwho (I could really feel your pain...!), and the fact that the X5 is nearly 2m tall on its own. With my current Thule 929, I can set everything up and load up the bikes quickly, and even drive into shopping centre carpark with no hassle.

I think having put off ordering the Model S thus far, and the possibility of more information about Model X coming soon, I might as well just put up with a little wait (Yes, I have heard of "Tesla Time").

doctorwho: I was able to fit my medium size roadie during my test drive by collapsing two-thirds of the back-seats. Perhaps with two bikes one on top of each other separated by some thick blankets, there is still room for your dog:smile:.

Still, I would love to hear of any eventual Australian experience with Ecohitch!

IMG_2933.JPG

A funny thing happened on the way to the solictors.......

Heading into the RACV under ground carpark in Melbourne CBD and one of the driveway Valets starts waving at me furiously.... I stop wind down the window and inquire..... He wants to know exactly WHAT this car is and is there any way of getting it to make a noise!:scared: At this point I am confused and a discussion starts up....traffic building up behind me.....

He says that a Model S zoomed into the boom gates the day before and his colleague stepped out from his little booth to just miss being squished!.. He didnt look because he didnt hear...
Hence the question.. I assured him that short of blowing the horn- he is stuffed.....

Heading into the RACV under ground carpark in Melbourne CBD and one of the driveway Valets starts waving at me furiously.... I stop wind down the window and inquire..... He wants to know exactly WHAT this car is and is there any way of getting it to make a noise!:scared: At this point I am confused and a discussion starts up....traffic building up behind me.....

He says that a Model S zoomed into the boom gates the day before and his colleague stepped out from his little booth to just miss being squished!.. He didnt look because he didnt hear...
Hence the question.. I assured him that short of blowing the horn- he is stuffed.....

Ha! Right next to my building Keiron I'll have to keep an eye out for Teslas in town now it seems :)

I still don't get why people think they can rely solely on sound to detect cars. The Prius and many other hybrids would be silent in a low speed urban environment. Equally I haven't heard of anyone being murdered by a Prius in stealth mode so maybe, just maybe, it isn't as big of an issue as everyone tries to make out when talking about electric cars?

I wonder about the logic of most people or should I say the lack of logic of most people.!
case in point a friend of a friend rang to talk to me about Tesla Model S tonight and expressed grave concerns about refueling.... After some pointy questions I discovered his longest trip in any week is about 30Kms. His weekly average is 300kms approx. He is a very sharp individual but until I got a bit brutal with the "Analyse your fears" he hadnt stopped to consider the fact that each morning he has "refueled to max" therefore full range everyday. It was one of those Ah HA! type moments watching the penny drop....... I dont have a problem....ok so maybe I should buy one........... Figure I should be getting a commission:biggrin:

I wonder about the logic of most people or should I say the lack of logic of most people.!
case in point a friend of a friend rang to talk to me about Tesla Model S tonight and expressed grave concerns about refueling.... After some pointy questions I discovered his longest trip in any week is about 30Kms. His weekly average is 300kms approx. He is a very sharp individual but until I got a bit brutal with the "Analyse your fears" he hadnt stopped to consider the fact that each morning he has "refueled to max" therefore full range everyday. It was one of those Ah HA! type moments watching the penny drop....... I dont have a problem....ok so maybe I should buy one........... Figure I should be getting a commission:biggrin:

Yes Keiron, that misconception is very common indeed. People who quaintly turn their minds to consider EVs immediately think that it takes forever to refuel AND you only refuel either when you are empty or as often as one would top-up a petrol car, and that is usually always done when they are in a rush and considered a nuisance. Hence how much more a nuisance would an EV be... QED

it hasn't yet penetrated the ordinary psyche that an EV has a full tank of gas every morning without having to visit your locan petrol station and without even the inconvenience of pumping gas. The prejudice in this regard is so deep that when forced to consider it, their immediate thought is that plugging a car in at home is just as annoying as standing and pumping fuel.

Eventually EV cars will be marketed by TV commercials and they will educate people on these points. Tesla doesn't advertise that way. In the future they will. Maybe BMW or Toyota or Audi will beat them to it one of these days...

For various reasons, I had to drive my wife's Honda Accord Euro today. First time in 4 months. I now think it is obligatory to drive an ICE at least two or three times a year. Boy oh boy, so 20th century!!! I now REALLY appreciate my Tesla!! All that roaring in front of you, the jerks between gear changes, the lag on acceleration from stationary, the lack of guts to pull in front of another car, got flashed at for doing it!! Actually needing a KEY to start the thing!!
I used to think it was quite a zippy car. Not anymore. Good reality check.