TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla in Brick. Not Bricked.

Discussion in 'North America' started by Slackjaw, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Slackjaw

Slackjaw Member

I was surprised to find a working free Level 2 charger in Brick, NJ yesterday - surprising because it is at a Sunoco gas station. I wasn't expecting to need a charge but since I'm currently charging from 110 at home I swung by anyway to see if it worked (expecting it to be broken, or "out back"). It worked, was free, and the gas station guys were interested and very nice. Didn't chase me off with pitchforks or anything. I asked why they have a charger at all - "it's because of the Volt". Nice. And if a town called "Brick" isn't funny enough, there's a town called "Wall" just down the road. Take it away, TEG/Bonnie/Nigel...

Brick-20120714-00852.jpg

Oh, and before you ask: That is not Nitrous in the passenger foot well :rolleyes:.

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Awesome. Was that a NEMA 14-50 outlet? Wish more places would do that.

3. Slackjaw

Slackjaw Member

50A would have been a real treat - that's just a standard 30A Chargepoint. Single J1772 (note the TM adapter on my soft top) plus one or two 110's behind a small locked door.

4. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

My favorite headline ever was in the 70s 'Fertile Woman Killed in Climax'.

Two small town in northern MN. That poor woman's death caused great merriment to insensitive teenagers in the Midwest area. (I'm sure I wasn't one of those.)

Now I'm trying to come up with what we can do with Brick and Wall.

5. dsm363

Still, better than nothing. Nice of them to do that. Love the Brick then Wall right next to each other.

6. Charged_Up

Charged_Up Member

I know it's OT, but hard to top the New York Post classic: "Headless Body Found in Topless Bar":wink:

7. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

There's a quite cute old book I found once: "Dwarf Rapes Nun, Flees in UFO". It doesn't come together until the very end.

8. 100thMonkey

100thMonkey Member

Nice! Scuba diving from a Roadster, now that's go to raise some eyebrows!!

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

10. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Variations on Zeno's Paradox combined with misdirection?

A brick wall is made up of bricks.

How long does it take, driving a Tesla Roadster at maximum allowable speed, to get from Brick to Wall?

11. dsm363

How about driving from Brick to the nearest Wall charger?

12. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

13. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

14. pharma5

pharma5 Roadster F#25

Wow - thought that one was a myth when I saw it on chargepoint. Thanks for posting.:biggrin:

The only NJ level 2 chargers I've visited so far are Princeton and Rutgers University (CAIT Center).

15. Slackjaw

Slackjaw Member

#15 Slackjaw, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
    Yeah, I'm not sure I'd try it again. The family are away (means other car is at the airport) so I saw it as a challenge this time around. Luckily I was able to hand the two tanks off to someone else after the trip, which meant I could squash all my stinky gear in the trunk.

Of course now that EVs are "mainstream" people will want to buy books called things like "101 more uses for a Tesla Roadster", and I'm quite sure this will make it in: "Raining outside? Dry your dive gear in the garage while you charge your car!".

IMG_2771.JPG

There was a BMW ActiveE parked in the Scott's Landing Marina parking lot when I got there (the white one, but you can only tell by the stickers):

IMG-20120714-00853.cut.jpg

16. Slackjaw

Slackjaw Member

"I'll do it in 19..." ... Just kidding. Maybe 20. I need to go back anyway, to take some more pictures -- you know, park my Tesla in front of a sign saying "Welcome to Brick", stuff like that -- and post a follow-up thread "Brick Tesla goes straight through Wall". Kicking myself for not think of that the first time.

17. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Uh oh, we've gotten a reputation! (Shame I didn't see this earlier)

Weird U.S. town names.

18. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

It all comes back to Bacon... , Texas.

19. Vger

Vger Active Member

Ummm.. Humour aside, does anyone know if this is a corporate policy for Sunoco? Seems lots of chain establishments are getting into the act... Fairmont Hotels, Walgreens, others... That is a very hopeful trend for EVs, I think. Lots of visible chargers will alleviate range anxiety in on-the-fence potential EV buyers.

20. Slackjaw

Slackjaw Member

#20 Slackjaw, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
    I couldn't find any evidence that it was any sort of policy. A google search for "Sunoco Chargepoint" really only returns the Brick station plus a few red herrings. Next time I'm there, I'll see if I can talk to the manager. The guys there acted like having a charging station next to the gas pumps was perfectly normal and unsurprising, but maybe they have either a particularly forward-looking manager, or a lot of Volts coming through. They did say there were "at least four" different EVs which would come in and charge there.

One caveat - it's not a real parking spot. You have to put your car in front of a little wooden shed and you are partially blocking a throughway from the 7-11 (reducing two lanes to one between the gas station forecourt and the 7-11 forecourt). I don't think I'd worry about someone hitting the car but it falls short of a full "EV spot".