Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Brick. Not Bricked.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was surprised to find a working free Level 2 charger in Brick, NJ yesterday - surprising because it is at a Sunoco gas station.

I think that's great.

I was talking to my wife about this very thing a few days ago.

I think oil companies should move full speed ahead in putting chargers at gas stations. From an EV perspective, this would help alleviate the range anxiety that some have. From an environmental perspective, it's good. From a business perspective, if the oil companies want to control whether we can move about the country, why not offer the electricty that powers our cars? Fine, "charge" me (HA!) for the electricity I take.

I'm surprised I haven't seen any at Shell stations yet, since their business model has been somewhat more progressive than the other oil companies.

I'm surprised I haven't seen any at Shell stations yet, since their business model has been somewhat more progressive than the other oil companies.

My opinion is that gas stations and chargers are a particularly bad fit in almost all cases. Often gas stations are not a place that you want to hang around for a few hours (except for the few that are associated with malls but that's the minority). The best places for chargers are entertainment complexes where you can dine and see a movie while your car is charging (even though 90% of movies today aren't what you'd call great--but that's a rant for another day)

My opinion is that gas stations and chargers are a particularly bad fit in almost all cases. Often gas stations are not a place that you want to hang around for a few hours (except for the few that are associated with malls but that's the minority). The best places for chargers are entertainment complexes where you can dine and see a movie while your car is charging
Completely agree. Chargers should be at destinations, not waypoints, as a general rule. If they have to be at waypoints, make them interesting waypoints. For example, King Arthur Flour has a nice store and cafe very near the junction of I-89 and I-91, near Hanover NH. Perfect place for EV charging (oddly absent from a new building in Vermont!).

Completely agree. Chargers should be at destinations, not waypoints, as a general rule. If they have to be at waypoints, make them interesting waypoints. For example, King Arthur Flour has a nice store and cafe very near the junction of I-89 and I-91, near Hanover NH. Perfect place for EV charging (oddly absent from a new building in Vermont!).

I think waypoints are still important and maybe more important. This is why I think the millions of dollars of stimulus funds that were spent towards putting J1772 30A chargers at grocery stores, movie theaters, government office buildings and others inside cities was such a waste. For the 30 stations they put in the city, I would rather have had 2 faster than 30A chargers placed in-between the 2 major cities I want to travel between to make that trip easier. They still need some at destinations but more interesting places to hang out at like you said other than the grocery store.

My opinion is that gas stations and chargers are a particularly bad fit in almost all cases. Often gas stations are not a place that you want to hang around for a few hours (except for the few that are associated with malls but that's the minority). The best places for chargers are entertainment complexes where you can dine and see a movie while your car is charging (even though 90% of movies today aren't what you'd call great--but that's a rant for another day)

Well, I agree with you.

The concept, however, was that I was surprised they haven't jumped on this technology so they could dominate it.

You could have charging stations at "destinations" that are owned by Shell....or whatever. In the future, I am sure charging rates will improve, so perhaps hanging out at a gas station for 15 minutes could buy you sufficient juice....

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Tesla's upcoming "SuperChargers" and/or Chademo DC fast chargers (for Leafs and iMEVs) could work at gas stations/waypoints. Level 2, not so much.
Even 30 minutes is too long to wait around at a gas station. Harris Ranch is a great example of the "destination waypoints" that Tesla should seek out for SuperChargers.

Chargers at movie theaters, etc. are clearly not needed if most people have garages. That's not guaranteed in dense urban centers. But the sort of destinations I was thinking about are places like National Parks or Disneyland, where people may have driven long distances to get there, but once there will stay awhile.

Even 30 minutes is too long to wait around at a gas station. Harris Ranch is a great example of the "destination waypoints" that Tesla should seek out for SuperChargers.

Chargers at movie theaters, etc. are clearly not needed if most people have garages. That's not guaranteed in dense urban centers. But the sort of destinations I was thinking about are places like National Parks or Disneyland, where people may have driven long distances to get there, but once there will stay awhile.

While its true that places with food/activities are ideal, if the large oil conglomerates want to put in charging infrastructure, I say let them, Its the mindset of the public, that 's where they go for fuel, thats why I say that. If the government is paying, then sure, malls or restaurants/national parks are better. I don't forsee large oil congolmerates installing DC fast charging infrastructure in any place other than than their own company branded fuel stations, and if they want to do that, I would encourage it, it's their money, and DC fast charging although not as quick as filling up an ICE car, is still much better/faster than Level 2. There are not even enough EVs out now to get them interested, but in 3-5 years, that will certainly change.

SHELL station newly built in West Laramie, WY less than one mile off I-80.
NOT owned by oil comglomerate but by local landowner who basically single-handedly
built and manages this huge corner location. Lots of room to swing in large stock trailers
and rv-campers. After crossing 50 miles+ of forest & empty ranchland THIS is the first thing
traffic sees as they approach civilisation. A good spot for an EVSE??

I assumed so at first, but then realised that the only thing within walking distance was the Forest
Ranger station across the street. Good for maybe 1/2 hour of tourist time max. True, a city bus
does come by every so often going to downtown, to UWYO, all the way to WalMart along the
entire main drag. Plenty for dedicated BEV travelers to enjoy, certainly.

I even offered to donate the charger if he would hook it up. Fell on deaf ears. No desire to be a
star on the nationwide EV charge station map.

Keep in mind a SHELL sign does not necessarily mean: Royal Dutch Shell Corp.
--