TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla in deal with Daimler (part zwei)

Discussion in 'News' started by doug, May 18, 2009.

Tags:
  1. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

I remember some story from 10 years ago where some dot.com fad company was supposedly worth more than the main dairy supplier in the UK - whose turnover at the time was £250m. The author couldn't believe that a company that essentially had no chargeable product was worth more than a supplier of staple foodstuffs. Of course, one of those is still in business and the other burst with the bubble.

It all sounds very familiar.

2. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

Well, the odds of Tesla Motors avoiding bankruptcy just improved dramatically. I doubt Mercedes would have invested so much if they thought Tesla is a long shot.

And this definitely helps Tesla Motors in terms of the viability and matching money for the government loan program.

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Hmm, didn't even consider that. That might be a very good idea. Mercedes is already upscale (to go with Tesla's image), and more exclusive than the millions of Ford, Toyota and Dodge dealerships across the nation.

They could even just build 2 more bays strictly for Tesla work, have the showroom next door (sharing lots as you said) and that'll get the job done. Stick one at say 1 out of every 5 Mercedes dealerships, and booya.

4. DDB

DDB Member

Speaking of viability...and government money...what about plans for a US PLANT???

5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Tesla's original plan was to run their own dealerships.

If they decide to have Mercedes dealers sell them directly it would be a change of direction for them.

6. no96

no96 Member

Well one guess would be that the Model S would be built much the same way
    as the Roadster. Gliders comming in from Germany (or even the Daimler plant
    on the East Coast) final build in the Long Beach plant (is it still supposed to be there ?)
    Would be the fastest time to market - which everyone likes.

7. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Hmm, I was thinking more like piggyback. Mercedes opens up their dealer network and allow them to share space at already-established locations.

They could still staff them with their own employees, but sharing the space would reduce costs and Tesla would benefit from the existing traffic.

8. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

9. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#49 doug, May 19, 2009
    Last edited: May 19, 2009
  10. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

sweet... now bring on the Model S for those of us who don't wanna zip around in carbonfiber tunacans

11. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#51 TEG, May 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

12. doug

#52 doug, May 19, 2009
    We have a whole thread on it here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/tesla-roadster/1280-mpg-equivalent.html

Bottom line it's some ridiculous EPA thing:

13. Tin-Chicken

Tin-Chicken Member

Not a good look

Am I alone in thinking that Elon looks rather uncomfortable in the suit and tie? Yikes, that shirt and tie combo is ghastly. :eek:

Lisa.

14. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

I noticed that too in another video with him awkwardly shaking the Daimler executive's hand.

15. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#55 TEG, May 19, 2009
    Perhaps it is the region local Deutsche-hipster-exec look?

He looks tired, but I suppose that is to be expected given the circumstances.

16. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Oh yeah, forgot about that. I thought it looked familiar in a deja-absurd sort of way. I wonder what the non-EPA mindful German press will make of that stat in the translated version of the press release.

17. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I mentioned that it didn't match their earlier plans, but I always thought maintaining a full dealer / service network was an expensive proposition for such a low volume brand (even with Model S sales coming).

So, yes, it would make some sense at some levels to have a sales/service partner like that.

By the way, it could work the other way too. For instance, Daimler could consider offering a Tesla branded (and restyled) Blue Zero for US sales if they didn't think Mercedes dealers were ready to sell EVs alongside their gas car lineup.

All of this is just idle speculation though. Who knows what fruit this partnership will bear.

18. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Good point TEG. That would certainly save Tesla some trouble. I've got no prob if Tesla sparks the EV revolution then fades back into just a R&D company that supplies tech.

I'm open to EVs from any company as long as they're styled well and practical. It'll make the Roadsters (and possible Model S's) more valuable down the line as well.

19. Rheazombi

Rheazombi Member

Someone told me the deal was worth $50 million. I'm not sure where they got their info tho...

20. doug

Daimler buys stake in Tesla - SFGate.com