TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla in deal with Daimler (part zwei)

Discussion in 'News' started by doug, May 18, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Tdave

Tdave Member

Interesting. Tesla now worth $555 million. GM now worth $885 million. This belongs in the milestone thread. When will Tesla have a higher valuation than GM?

And once that happens, will Tesla be the second largest US auto maker, behind only Ford?

What would you have said to me if 2 years ago I told you that by the end of 2009 Tesla would have a higher market cap than GM?

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#63 vfx, May 20, 2009
    Last edited: May 20, 2009
    I alway thought when a major maker comes out with an EV they should do it under a totally different Brand.
    The EV1 came out in the now defunct Saturn line but I thinking an even bigger separation like Nissan is to Infiniti or Toyota is to Lexus.
    I don't mean the high end aspects of these Brands but using the model that these companies are totally disassociated from the parents.

The thinking here is that when GM is selling horribly non green behemoth like a Hummer on the same lot as an earth hugging EV that it sets up the company for unhealthy comparisons.

By Mercedes buying a bit of Tesla they get that division built in -even if they share the same dealership space.

3. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

4. graham

graham Active Member

From doug's BuisnessWeek link (as an answer to if Tesla plans to sell in M-Benz dealerships):

5. Picasso

Picasso kllkkjlk

hmmm

Was the last round Tesla got an investment or a bridge loan? 20mil was it?

6. doug

I guess Jay Yarrow is eating his words a bit on that pointless Twitter comparison.

Tesla's New Valuation Is $550 Million - The Business Insider

It was $40M convertible debt, which is like a loan that transforms into an investment.

Musk Makes Out In The Daimler Deal - The Business Insider

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

He says. " Major Markets"

I also think you could still control the customer experience in a separate building on a Mercedes lot with Tesla employees.

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I would have said you are full of ... . . . . . .good ideas...

I think many of us thought it could happen eventually, but in 2 years ?! :eek:

9. johnr

johnr Member

10. Rheazombi

Rheazombi Member

11. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

I think your 50mil suspicions were posted several times back up this thread :smile:

12. Cobos

Cobos S60 Owner since 2013 - sold, S85D owner since 2017

I see several people also noticed the major markets bit. And personally I agree with Musk on this. It's a bit like Apple, they've got big major Apple stores and also their product displayed on more generic electronics stores. Especially as a way to extend your dealer network to smaller towns this sounds like an excellent option. Especially if a small Mercedes dealer can order and handle Tesla's without actively selling them.

Cobos

13. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#74 vfx, May 21, 2009
    Last edited: May 21, 2009
    Great analogy Cobos. My local Best Buy has a little Apple table. I don't know if the guy that mans the display is Apple-trained but if Elon is so concerned about controlling the message, the scaled down (no repair facility) Mercedes-Tesla dealership will have a Tesla trained person that is the only one allowed to sell the Tesla line.

14. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

I just heard that this Roadster is actually Signature #100. It was purposefully not built or sold earlier. They are doing something special with it for promotional purposes.

15. doug

legal stuff

Daimler Taps Hughes Hubbard For Tesla Motors Stake

16. doug

founders' comments

Tesla Co-Founder Questions Valuation at 47% of GM's (Update1) - Bloomberg.com

17. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

With GM seemingly on the verge of flushing their public stock, I wonder why they were up over 32% today to close at $1.92
    Short buying to cover June 1 options at $0? I don't understand why there would be a runup just prior to an expected bankruptcy.

18. doug

Speculation, just in case they don't go bankrupt.

19. doug