Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in deal with Daimler

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

doug

Administrator / Head Moderator
Administrator
I'm not going to join this website to get the full story, but here's the link anyhow:
US: Tesla in tech tie-up with Daimler: Automotive News & Comment

Summary: Tesla Motors, the maker of an electric plug-in sports car, has inked a technology deal with Daimler, according to remarks reportedly made by Chairman Elon Musk.
I'm sure if there's anything to the story, it will show up in other news sources.

Tesla Motors, the maker of an electric sports car, has inked a technology deal with Daimler, said Chairman Elon Musk.
“We have a deal right now with Daimler. Its still in the early stages,” said Musk in an interview with Fox Business Network’s Liz Claman. “We have small deal that could potentially lead to a very big deal.”
According to Musk, Tesla’s electric sports car the Roadster, which gets 220 miles but costs $100,000, has been sold to more than 1,000 customers. The company, which started production a month ago, expects to produce 2,000 cars a year, said the executive.
Tesla is working on a cheaper version that will start at around $59,000. That electric car will be a four door sedan that fits five passengers, he said.
“Its has more than twice the energy efficiency than a Prius,” said Musk of the Tesla Roadster.

Tesla Inks Small Deal with Daimler - FOXBusiness.com

Not much information is getting out on the sedan. Earlier in the year it was mentioned a WhiteStar update would be made before the end of 2nd quarter. 18 days to go...

My thinking is that WhiteStar will either make or break Tesla. Hopefully, the former :biggrin:

Will Daimler supply engines to Tesla for WhiteStar? - AutoblogGreen

ABG speculates on what it might mean:
It's certainly possible that Tesla may be licensing some of their battery management technology to Daimler for use in their own hybrid and electric vehicle projects. Another possible scenario may be that Daimler will supply engines to Tesla for the WhiteStar sedan. Tesla has said that it will offer a range extended version of the WhiteStar. The 1.0L three cylinder from the Smart ForTwo might make a good driver for the generator (that sounds like a vaguely familiar specification). Supplying the engine to Tesla would help Daimler increase volumes of the Smart engine, allowing them to drive down costs. We're still waiting to hear back from Tesla with a comment and we'll update you when we hear something.

Update: Tesla VP Darryl Siry declined comment on the matter.
Also Autoblog: Is Tesla Motors working with Daimler? - Autoblog

TTAC: Tesla And Daimler Sitting In A Tree... | The Truth About Cars

Last edited:
Tesla Motors working with Daimler AG?*|*BenzInsider.com - The Official Mercedes-Benz Fan Blog

The folks at Tesla Motors, who are actively working on revolutionizing the car industry with their all electric roadster, have stated in a Fox Business News interview that they are working with Daimler AG on a technology deal. While it is not clear what the details of that technology deal are, Autoblog is speculating that the Mercedes-Benz parent company may supply Tesla Motors with smart’s 1.0l three cylinder engines for their WhiteStar model, which basically is some sort of a hybrid, where the engine would act like a range extender. It will definitely be interesting to see what will develop out of this. Tesla Motors has definitely something going for them, we’ll see what, if anything, Daimler can get out of this. Just like we reported a couple of months ago, the all electric Mercedes sedan may not be such a far fetched dream after all.

Video of the interview: Video - FOXBusiness.com

tesla%20276.jpg

Last edited:
As a Tesla fan I want to see the Whitestar design, but the skepticism meter is on the extreme high in a few of the blogs that reported this news, lots of Tesla doubters who say they shouldn't be doing the Whitestar when the Roadster isn't officially done yet, probably the same people who said that the Roadster was useless b/c it is so expensive and that Tesla should make a cheaper more practical 4 door (which they are on the road to doing with the Whitestar).

Anyways, I'm still excited to see how the Whitestar design will turn out.

I'm not sure if it's mentioned, but it was reported not long ago daimler had a li-ion battery deal, so there is also a possibility of Tesla using those battery packs for the E-REV if not the BEV version of the Whitestar. Maybe ordering them jointly to get a volume deal.

As a Tesla fan I want to see the Whitestar design, but the skepticism meter is on the extreme high in a few of the blogs that reported this news, lots of Tesla doubters who say they shouldn't be doing the Whitestar when the Roadster isn't officially done yet, probably the same people who said that the Roadster was useless b/c it is so expensive and that Tesla should make a cheaper more practical 4 door (which they are on the road to doing with the Whitestar).

Anyways, I'm still excited to see how the Whitestar design will turn out.

As another Tesla fan, I too am interested for news about the Whitestar. But I'm also patient. Tesla talking about it now isn't going to make it available any faster, however, I'm sure they're working hard on it as we speak.
I think showing off the Whitestar design without working prototypes and before Roadster production is going smoothly would give fodder to the doubters who make claims of vaporware.

Seems that the details on Whitestar are bound up with the details of this sort of joint project. Will be interesting to see how many strings get attached to the EV technology in Whitestar as Tesla will no longer have sole control.

It's not going to be another Car-maker-X-makes-the-glider-and-Tesla-creates-the-internal-systems deal.

Let's hope they get the contracts right so we don't see yet another "Tesla sues...." headline in a couple of years.

I think showing off the Whitestar design without working prototypes and before Roadster production is going smoothly would give fodder to the doubters who make claims of vaporware.
Yep, that's exactly what I'm worried about happening. Even without any new fodder, they have no problem beating the "vaporware" drum. But Tesla said they will show the design in the 2nd quarter and the end is only a few weeks away as IZ mentioned.

@malcolm
This was mention jokingly in the blogs, but in all seriousness, I also hope another "Tesla sues..." doesn't happen again.

Seems that the details on Whitestar are bound up with the details of this sort of joint project. Will be interesting to see how many strings get attached to the EV technology in Whitestar as Tesla will no longer have sole control.

It's not going to be another Car-maker-X-makes-the-glider-and-Tesla-creates-the-internal-systems deal.

Let's hope they get the contracts right so we don't see yet another "Tesla sues...." headline in a couple of years.

Why couldn't Tesla use a glider from Daimler?

I wouldn't mind that, but it would clearly go against everything Tesla has been saying about their plans for Whitestar manufacture. At any rate, Elon said right now they have a small deal, and Daimler making Whitestar gliders would certainly be a BIG deal.

I suppose it's possible that that potential "big deal" could also have something to do with Bluestar. About which it has been suggested that Tesla would partner with one of the majors.

Well if Whitestar is going to be a BEV, they could. But I think the plan is for a REEV which will involve Daimler (or whoever) with the internal systems.

Given how well the gearbox collaboration went, I'm a little apprehensive. As we've seen, tried and trusted (i.e cheap) ICE technology doesn't always work efficiently/reliably in EVs.

Then again, that was one big electro-mechanical nightmare. If Daimler just supply a mini generator with a fuel tank there shouldn't be the same sort of problems.

Last edited:
Think the plan is for both:

Tesla Motors - think

"As was alluded to in the customer town hall meeting last week, Tesla will likely provide both pure electric and range extended electric drive options in the future. We refer to the latter as a REEV (Range Extended Electric Vehicle) to distinguish it from “hybrids,” which are really just gasoline engine cars with a small electric motor and tiny battery. The REEV battery in our scenario would fully cover the range needs for reasonable daily usage, but there would be an onboard generator for the occasional long trip."

Tesla's take is more reEV rather than REev.

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_9585697

Darryl Siry, vice president of sales, marketing and service for the San Carlos company, told Bloomberg he couldn't comment on Musk's remarks.

Han Tjan, Daimler's New York-based spokesman, told Bloomberg the company has had talks with Tesla. He couldn't confirm whether a contract had been signed or if Daimler intended to purchase battery packs from Tesla.

Last edited: