TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla in deal with Daimler

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by doug, Jun 12, 2008.

1. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I'm not going to join this website to get the full story, but here's the link anyhow:
    US: Tesla in tech tie-up with Daimler: Automotive News & Comment

I'm sure if there's anything to the story, it will show up in other news sources.

2. DDB

DDB Member

I can't find anything else on the web... Hm...

3. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

Considering this is the first day they reported it I suppose someone will pick it up in a day or two if there are any truth to this?

Cobos

4. DDB

DDB Member

Tesla Motors, the maker of an electric sports car, has inked a technology deal with Daimler, said Chairman Elon Musk.
    “We have a deal right now with Daimler. Its still in the early stages,” said Musk in an interview with Fox Business Network’s Liz Claman. “We have small deal that could potentially lead to a very big deal.”
    According to Musk, Tesla’s electric sports car the Roadster, which gets 220 miles but costs $100,000, has been sold to more than 1,000 customers. The company, which started production a month ago, expects to produce 2,000 cars a year, said the executive.
    Tesla is working on a cheaper version that will start at around $59,000. That electric car will be a four door sedan that fits five passengers, he said.
    “Its has more than twice the energy efficiency than a Prius,” said Musk of the Tesla Roadster.

Tesla Inks Small Deal with Daimler - FOXBusiness.com

5. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Not much information is getting out on the sedan. Earlier in the year it was mentioned a WhiteStar update would be made before the end of 2nd quarter. 18 days to go...

My thinking is that WhiteStar will either make or break Tesla. Hopefully, the former :biggrin:

6. doug

#6 doug, Jun 12, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
    Will Daimler supply engines to Tesla for WhiteStar? - AutoblogGreen

ABG speculates on what it might mean:
    Also Autoblog: Is Tesla Motors working with Daimler? - Autoblog

TTAC: Tesla And Daimler Sitting In A Tree... | The Truth About Cars

7. doug

Tesla Motors working with Daimler AG?*|*BenzInsider.com - The Official Mercedes-Benz Fan Blog

8. doug

#8 doug, Jun 12, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  9. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Wow, shocking.

Fox Business is still in on the air?

:tongue:

10. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

As a Tesla fan I want to see the Whitestar design, but the skepticism meter is on the extreme high in a few of the blogs that reported this news, lots of Tesla doubters who say they shouldn't be doing the Whitestar when the Roadster isn't officially done yet, probably the same people who said that the Roadster was useless b/c it is so expensive and that Tesla should make a cheaper more practical 4 door (which they are on the road to doing with the Whitestar).

Anyways, I'm still excited to see how the Whitestar design will turn out.

I'm not sure if it's mentioned, but it was reported not long ago daimler had a li-ion battery deal, so there is also a possibility of Tesla using those battery packs for the E-REV if not the BEV version of the Whitestar. Maybe ordering them jointly to get a volume deal.

11. doug

As another Tesla fan, I too am interested for news about the Whitestar. But I'm also patient. Tesla talking about it now isn't going to make it available any faster, however, I'm sure they're working hard on it as we speak.
    I think showing off the Whitestar design without working prototypes and before Roadster production is going smoothly would give fodder to the doubters who make claims of vaporware.

12. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Seems that the details on Whitestar are bound up with the details of this sort of joint project. Will be interesting to see how many strings get attached to the EV technology in Whitestar as Tesla will no longer have sole control.

It's not going to be another Car-maker-X-makes-the-glider-and-Tesla-creates-the-internal-systems deal.

Let's hope they get the contracts right so we don't see yet another "Tesla sues...." headline in a couple of years.

13. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Yep, that's exactly what I'm worried about happening. Even without any new fodder, they have no problem beating the "vaporware" drum. But Tesla said they will show the design in the 2nd quarter and the end is only a few weeks away as IZ mentioned.

@malcolm
    This was mention jokingly in the blogs, but in all seriousness, I also hope another "Tesla sues..." doesn't happen again.

14. DDB

DDB Member

Why couldn't Tesla use a glider from Daimler?

15. doug

I wouldn't mind that, but it would clearly go against everything Tesla has been saying about their plans for Whitestar manufacture. At any rate, Elon said right now they have a small deal, and Daimler making Whitestar gliders would certainly be a BIG deal.

I suppose it's possible that that potential "big deal" could also have something to do with Bluestar. About which it has been suggested that Tesla would partner with one of the majors.

16. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

#16 malcolm, Jun 13, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
    Well if Whitestar is going to be a BEV, they could. But I think the plan is for a REEV which will involve Daimler (or whoever) with the internal systems.

Given how well the gearbox collaboration went, I'm a little apprehensive. As we've seen, tried and trusted (i.e cheap) ICE technology doesn't always work efficiently/reliably in EVs.

Then again, that was one big electro-mechanical nightmare. If Daimler just supply a mini generator with a fuel tank there shouldn't be the same sort of problems.

17. doug

Tesla has said (could someone find where?) that the first available version of Whitestar will be pure EV.

18. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Think the plan is for both:

Tesla Motors - think

"As was alluded to in the customer town hall meeting last week, Tesla will likely provide both pure electric and range extended electric drive options in the future. We refer to the latter as a REEV (Range Extended Electric Vehicle) to distinguish it from “hybrids,” which are really just gasoline engine cars with a small electric motor and tiny battery. The REEV battery in our scenario would fully cover the range needs for reasonable daily usage, but there would be an onboard generator for the occasional long trip."

Tesla's take is more reEV rather than REev.

19. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

What kind of calendar do you use?

Dog:biggrin:?

20. doug

#20 doug, Jun 14, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
    http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_9585697