Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in deal with Daimler

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Cobasys doesn't make lithium ion batteries. The Smart EDs in London are powered by sodium-nickel-chloride (Zebra) battery. not sodium nickel-hydride."

I know, I know. That's why I posted it: because it said something we've never heard before.

Another Smart Car captured at the Tesla Menlo Park store:

2852939913_f6bd19b120.jpg

Have you all ever thought that these might actually be personally owned by employees?

Oh sure, the picture I just posted has no distinguishing marks on it, and is just "yet-another-Smart-at-Tesla"... but ones earlier in this thread were pictured with Manufacturers plates, which wouldn't be something a standard employee would have.

I don't mean to raise expectations, but I kind of doubt that Tesla won't be providing the batteries.

A. The Smart EV (ED is a stupid name) is only going to be around 1,000 cars, according to the ABG article. Many automakers are using large-format prismatic batteries, like the block shaped batteries in the iMiEV. There are very few uses for high amp hour prismatic batteries so naturally they cost alot of money because of the economies of scale. It would be very expensive to make a small batch of batteries just for 1,000 cars.

B. The Model S is reportedly using a flat shaped ESS. And look, the Smart also has a flat battery pack. (Although it's not like it could come in any other shape)

C. Elon isn't stupid. Why would he mention a relationship with Mercedes if he wasn't confident that somethign was going to happen? Tesla has said that they have had multiple auto-makers approach them, and out of all these unnamed auto-makers, Elon chose to name Mercedes.

Delays to Model S but I hope this deal can be kept alive

I hope so too. According to this:
Tesla Motors - think
At Tesla, we have decided that the wise course of action is to focus on our two revenue producing business lines - the Roadster and powertrain sales to other car companies.

I am hoping the powertrain sales includes the Smart Car. Of course Tesla is only one half of that deal. It is possible that Daimler may get nervous because of the Model S delays and pull out.

e-mobility Berlin

Daimler has commited 100 electric Smarts to the e-mobility Berlin scheme. The specs on these cars seem fairly average with a range of 100 miles quoted.
EVWORLD NEWSWIRE: Berlin to Deploy Largest Electric Car Network in World
Hopefully they are also working on a longer range version for the Smart Electric Drive, the production version previewed at the Paris Motor Show.
I have written to my local Mercedes\Smart distributor asking to be notified when they will be available in Australia and they expressed the intention to bring them here in 2010\11 but no guarantees.:confused:

Electric Smart possibly spotted at Tesla HQ! - AutoblogGreen

StreetImportOnline posted today that someone spotted a Smart ForTwo sitting in front of Tesla's San Carlos headquarters. This in and of itself means nothing since the Bay Area is a popular location for the little cars. There was one there in January when I visited to drive the Roadster, in fact. This time, though, the Smart had no tailpipe and was plugged into the charging station outside the front door. A quick call to Tesla SVP Darryl Siry yielded the expected "no comment." In general, suppliers are never allowed to comment on any potential work they are doing for client companies and this situation is no different.