Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Panama

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to decide if owning a Tesla in Panama (the country, not the city in Florida) is practical or just too difficult. I know there is the beginning of an EV movement there but it has a long, long way to go. My thought is I would buy one here and either ship it to Panama or (for a real adventure) try driving it all the way through Central America to get it there. I would probably just use it in Panama City as I have a condo there and driving it in the interior of the country would be difficult without any charging infrastructure. Getting the condo board to agree to allow me to install a charging spot in their garage might also be a challenge. Also, since Tesla doesn't operate there yet any service requirements would be very challenging.

Anybody have any thoughts or, even better, by chance does anyone have experience with trying to operate an electric car there?

Gracias!

My awkward Spanish translation of above:

Estoy tratando de decidir si ser dueño de un Tesla en Panamá (el país, no la ciudad en Florida) es práctico o simplemente demasiado difícil. Sé que está el comienzo de un movimiento de vehículos eléctricos allí, pero tiene un largo, largo camino por recorrer. Mi pensamiento es que compraría uno aquí y lo enviaría a Panamá o (para una verdadera aventura) trataría de conducirlo por Centroamérica para llegar allí. Probablemente solo lo usaría en la ciudad de Panamá, ya que tengo un condominio allí y conducirlo en el interior del país sería difícil sin una infraestructura de carga. Lograr que la junta del condominio esté de acuerdo en permitirme instalar un punto de carga en su garaje también podría ser un desafío. Además, dado que Tesla aún no opera allí cualquier requisito de servicio sería muy desafiante.

¿Alguien tiene alguna idea o, mejor aún, por casualidad, alguien tiene experiencia en tratar de operar un automóvil eléctrico allí?

¡Gracias!

Hey @Fugldod i live in panama as well and I ordered my model Y and I’m receiving it next week! , I understand your point very well as I think it over and over before doing this, but I think this is not a car will need so many maintenance and so far I have a contact that works in tesla méxico that can come to panamá and fix anything needed.

Congratulations! Please tell me how you bought it and arranged for it to be shipped down there. I have been doing lots of research and the best way, as far as I can tell, is to have it delivered to Miami and then have it shipped to Manzanillo on the Atlantic side.

What did you have to do?

@Fuglodd did you ever decide to get your Tesla and have it shipped to Panama?
Sorry for the late response...just saw this message.

I decided against it. There are so many car accidents in Panama that getting it repaired would be a nightmare. I have a 3 and a Y here in Colorado and my 3 was rear ended back in October of last year (2021). $8,000 of damage and Tesla took three months (!) to repair it. And this is in Denver with a whole Tesla infrastructure in place. It wasn't even that bad of an accident but it completely freaked out the electronics so the car wouldn't let me drive. Can you imagine if that had happened in Panama? They wouldn't even know how to tow a Tesla (it is not that easy).

Sadly I ended up having to buy a Kia Sorento (not even a hybrid) for my place in Panama.

Hello Root17. I live in Boquete, Panama and want to buy a Tesla. Can you tell me where you bought yours? Or, did you have it shipped down>

Thanks
Hey !! Sorry for late reply I didn't saw your message.
I bought it at Miami , I went there to receive it and I shipped it , it arrives at manzanillo port , then I received it there and So far so good!.. No issues at all.
Its covered 100% by a local insurance company also.
Any other questions please let me know!

Reactions: MrShakeHands
Congratulations! Please tell me how you bought it and arranged for it to be shipped down there. I have been doing lots of research and the best way, as far as I can tell, is to have it delivered to Miami and then have it shipped to Manzanillo on the Atlantic side.

What did you have to do?
Hey !! Sorry for late reply I didn't saw your message.
I bought it at Miami , I went there to receive it and I shipped it , it arrives at manzanillo port , then I received it there and So far so good!.. No issues at all.
Its covered 100% by a local insurance company also.
Any other questions please let me know!