TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla in South Africa?

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by igotzzoom, Jul 11, 2014.

1. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

I know in the greater scheme of things, it's a small market, but I think it would be significant symbolically when the first Tesla store is opened in South Africa, considering it's Elon Musk's birthplace. Are there any owners there already?

2. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

South Africa seems to have a new vehicle market if about 52-54 thousand new cars a month, source, which is about 650 thousand a year from a population of 51 million.
    In comparison, new car sales in Australia are running close to 1 million a year on a population of 22 million.
    However given the popularity of the Mercedes C Class (fourth) and BMW 3 Series ( seventh) there may be a case for what we used to call the Model E.

3. Sunlight

Sunlight Member

As an itching EV owner in South Africa, I would buy/import a Gen 3 (which would be ideal for us) even if Tesla were not in SA IF...

1) the motor/drive train issues have been put to bed as that would be an insurmountable problem otherwise.

2) generally any other 'issues' could be addressed by other experts - software; electronic; auto; basic spares

3) upgrades via the internet were applicable here too

Answers on a postcard please....!

4. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

Good points. I think Tesla's entry into SA might dovetail with the introduction of the Gen-III.