Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in South Carolina

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At our beach house in low country, it seems that just about everything rusts or corrodes!!! We live in Northern Virginia; we haven't brought our MS on our trips to the South Carolina beach --- I have to drive the ICE SUV because I need to pack it with tools, etc for various maintenance tasks on our property. We did stop by Kudzu Bakery in Georgetown this past week because we saw that the owner has a MS and has posted his 14-50 on PlugShare. He (nor his Tesla) were there when we visited and had lunch.

At our beach house in low country, it seems that just about everything rusts or corrodes!!! We live in Northern Virginia; we haven't brought our MS on our trips to the South Carolina beach --- I have to drive the ICE SUV because I need to pack it with tools, etc for various maintenance tasks on our property. We did stop by Kudzu Bakery in Georgetown this past week because we saw that the owner has a MS and has posted his 14-50 on PlugShare. He (nor his Tesla) were there when we visited and had lunch.

What island is your beach house on? The area has built up a lot over the last few years.

Is that the Kudzu at Litchfield, or is it in Georgetown? Business must be good, the food sure is!

Our home is at Litchfield beach. We went to the Kudzu location in Georgetown. He has another location at Litchfield, but we were already in Georgetown for a little shopping and visiting friends.

FYI, unless something has changed in the last 4-5 months the owner of Kudzu is not the one that posted that on plugshare. He is very nice and did allow me to recharge there, but he did ask where I had found out he owned a Tesla and where I heard he had an outlet to charge at. He implied that he would prefer it not be spread around that he was offering charging at his location as a regular thing. We spend (literally) $100-$200 at Kudzu every time we go down to Pawleys so I did not feel too guilty about asking. Love those cookies and the cheese biscuits myself! We usually have about 12-15 people with us the 2-3 weeks a year we visit so its easy to spend a lot there pretty quickly.

Our home is at Litchfield beach. We went to the Kudzu location in Georgetown. He has another location at Litchfield, but we were already in Georgetown for a little shopping and visiting friends.

Any chance your place is across Hwy 17 from Kudzu through the gate and on out to the far left (north) on the ocean? I have a share in a place at that specific location!

We are on Norris Drive, just south of Litchfield Inn.

@Shumdit: interesting information. We had seen the posting on Plugshare --- while I didn't think it was the owner who had posted the information, I "assumed" he had no issue with it. As I noted before, we don't drive our MS down there because I need lots of room for tools (large tools such as compound mitre saws, circular saws, ladders, etc) that won't work with the MS. I'm not quite ready for a Model X yet, but maybe in the future.

Taxes on the Tesla?

I live in SC, and am getting a model S in a couple months. I'm getting a bit worried about the taxes on the car, though - if I'm correct, I will pay over $5500 for this year alone! :scared: That's 6% of the cost of the car.

Is the 6% accurate, or is it applied per some millage rate, or...?

I've heard that cars over about $50k are charged a penalty tax for their owners being successful (how you look at it depends on your politics, I guess. :rolleyes:). Is that true? If so, can anyone give me some idea of how much it is?

If I have to pay almost $500 a month in taxes on this thing, I may have to cancel my order. I can make the car payments, but with that sort of tax burden, I might be pushed right over the edge in unaffordability.

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Reactions: Kacey Green
I live in SC, and am getting a model S in a couple months. I'm getting a bit worried about the taxes on the car, though - if I'm correct, I will pay over $5500 for this year alone! :scared: That's 6% of the cost of the car.

Is the 6% accurate, or is it applied per some millage rate, or...?

ged a penalty tax for their owners being successful (how you look at it depends on your politics, I guess. :rolleyes:). Is that true? If so, can anyone give me some idea of how much it is?

If I have to pay almost $500 a month in taxes on this thing, I may have to cancel my order. I can make the car payments, but with that sort of tax burden, I might be pushed right over the edge in unaffordability.

Any thoughts / suggestions?

That's not what you will pay. There is a millage rate applied depending on where you live. Sales tax will be capped at $300.00 (yes, three hundred for you non-SC residents who think it's a typo) regardless and property taxes will vary depending on the millage rate, but I would guess in neighborhood of $1200 per year

... I would guess in neighborhood of $1200 per year

Don't I wish! I went down to the county offices today (I don't live in town), and was told the millage rate is 510. The price of my S is $94270. So taking into account the 6% tax and the millage rate, I'll pay $2884.66 in property tax this year on the car. AARGH!

Can I ask what your millage rate is, Shumidt? I know it varies by county, and the auditor here said the 510 rate is the highest allowed, so I know we're expensive, but now you've got me curious. Just how much does it vary?

(Thanks for the replies, by the way, folks!)

I'm in York County and I've had my car 1 year, the first year taxes on the car were $2400 and some change (i dont remember exactly). I've put 22,000 miles on the car in that year, and SC states on their tax bill if you do more than 15000 miles a year it qualifies for a high mileage, well i obviously did that but the law states 15000 miles a year so its based on model year of the car, mine is a 2013 bought in September of 2013 so it has to have 30,000 miles on it to qualify. Stupid tax rule if you ask me, so this year my car value is assessed at $94k and my taxes are in the area of $2300. I'm trying to get Tesla to give me an official value of the car so i can bring that to the tax office and show them what its worth with my mileage.

Unfortunately because the cars are so new, and 'low volume' respectively there is no NADA or KBB value for the 'used' ones.

I hope that helps.

Don't I wish! I went down to the county offices today (I don't live in town), and was told the millage rate is 510. The price of my S is $94270. So taking into account the 6% tax and the millage rate, I'll pay $2884.66 in property tax this year on the car. AARGH!

Can I ask what your millage rate is, Shumidt? I know it varies by county, and the auditor here said the 510 rate is the highest allowed, so I know we're expensive, but now you've got me curious. Just how much does it vary?

(Thanks for the replies, by the way, folks!)

I am in the upstate and paid $1500 and change for a p85+ with every option. Seems like something isn't right for you guys to be seeing bills that much higher than I am.

Have looked at as many posts and maps as I could find (Tesla, supercharger.info) and see this list for 2015. Any adjustments?

NC Current: Burlington, Lumberton, Plymouth, Rocky Mount
NC New in 2015: Asheville, Charlotte, Warsaw

VA Current: Glen Allen, South Hill, Woodbridge
VA New in 2015: Abington, Charlottesville, Lexington, Norfolk, Staunton, Winchester, I-77/I-81

SC Current: Santee
SC New in 2015: Columbia, Greenville [+ Augusta GA]