Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in South Carolina

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do people react when they see your Model S? Have you had any problems?

There is no reaction when people see it. People around are don't even know what Tesla is. I have the blue so it doesn't stand out at all. It's like a ninja stealth car. I think I've had maybe 3 people look at my car weird since I got it a month ago, not including my neighbors or co-workers. It's probably like how Californians feel except instead of being common place and people not caring people don't care because they are ignorant/clueless so don't know to care, haha. That will probably change over the coming months as people start to learn more?

So no, no problems ;)

I'll be bringing my car to SC for Thanksgiving this year. I know of 9 people that really want to see it.

Depending on SC rollout

I'll be driving I-20 East to Florence SC (no supercharger on I-85)

or be driving I-85 North to the supercharger, then Greenville SC, then I-385/I-26 to Columbia, then I-20 to Florence SC.

If you want to offer up a charge, or want to see my car I might be able to swing by if it isn't too far out of the way.

In general my reactions are: "Is that a Tesla?" and they already know about the car. It is mostly gushing, and them claiming they will get one in the future.
"What kind of car is that?" and they like the look of the car. Then mostly gushing, and them claiming they are going to look it up.

Any bad reaction can be rectified by bringing someone along for a ride. And the fact it is an American car goes a LONG way towards bad reactions.

Reactions: spectrum
There is no reaction when people see it. People around are don't even know what Tesla is. I have the blue so it doesn't stand out at all. It's like a ninja stealth car. I think I've had maybe 3 people look at my car weird since I got it a month ago, not including my neighbors or co-workers. It's probably like how Californians feel except instead of being common place and people not caring people don't care because they are ignorant/clueless so don't know to care, haha. That will probably change over the coming months as people start to learn more?

So no, no problems ;)

Hey Jonathan! (Hi Kayla!!)

I've had all kinds of reactions from all over CHS area. People giving thumbs up ON the highway. Stop lights being asked what we're driving or is that a Tesla? Charleston is very aware of Teslas. - I wrote a huge reply, but lost it some how on the forum. - Next time we see you we'll give you stories. My favorite was King St. I was chased by a law student on his bike! I didn't know he was chasing me until I saw the poor panting boy trying to ask :)

Shai

Hey Jonathan! (Hi Kayla!!)

I've had all kinds of reactions from all over CHS area. People giving thumbs up ON the highway. Stop lights being asked what we're driving or is that a Tesla? Charleston is very aware of Teslas. - I wrote a huge reply, but lost it some how on the forum. - Next time we see you we'll give you stories. My favorite was King St. I was chased by a law student on his bike! I didn't know he was chasing me until I saw the poor panting boy trying to ask :)

Shai

Haha, funny you write that because yesterday I was at Arby's and a guy runs over from another parking lot who said he was an investor and loved the car and wanted to see it as he has never seen one. Later I was washing my car and random guy driving by stopped to tell me HE was an investor and loved the car but had never seen one and was hoping to convince his wife to let him get one.

This is pretty extreme for my part of town (not as much money here as downtown or closer to the beach). I guess some days it gets noticed more than others, ha.

I have to say that I am in Upstate SC, and the Tesla gets more questions and compliments then any car I have ever owned or own (including a Ferrari Spider, Split Window Corvette, NSX, etc). I told my wife the one big thing I underestimated was how other people would see the car. I thought it would pretty much blend in with the other sedans on the road, but I have been flagged down in a parking lot, had a woman waiting for me to come out of the Publix to ask me about what it was, gotten people (sometimes 2 people at the same time in the same car) taking a picture at a stop light, and compliments daily. I actually can not think of one day that has gone by that I have not gotten a compliment or a inquiry as to what it is, followed by "that's a beautiful car". You may want to tint the windows if you pick your nose or like to rock out to some Van Halen with air guitar. You will end up on Reddit or Facebook looking like an idiot!

- - - Updated - - -

Haha, funny you write that because yesterday I was at Arby's and a guy runs over from another parking lot who said he was an investor and loved the car and wanted to see it as he has never seen one. Later I was washing my car and random guy driving by stopped to tell me HE was an investor and loved the car but had never seen one and was hoping to convince his wife to let him get one.

This is pretty extreme for my part of town (not as much money here as downtown or closer to the beach). I guess some days it gets noticed more than others, ha.

What part of SC are you in?

If you still need a charge on your way east for Thanksgiving, please send a PM. I am in Columbia and would enjoy a visit from another Tesla owner. I have a 240 wall charger that will be ready and waiting for you. I am a few miles south of I-20, but right off of I-77, so it would be about 10 minutes off your route to Florence.