Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in the global economy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vfx

Aug 18, 2006
CA CA
I see these comments a lot on the Tesla blog, "...whatever you do, please don’t sell out to “BigCar” and/or “BigOil.” That might serve to slow down the U.S. movement to less depending on foreign energy...."

I you buy into the theory that Big Oil put Bush JR into power and they collectively used 911 as an excuse to start a war for oil/money that has put our country billions of dollars in debt so they could make record profits, how could this affect Tesla Motors?

The mind reels at the power BO is wielding in this hypothetical scenario. A small 60 million startup company that has a disruptive technology that threatens to rock BO's world would be simply squashed like a bug.
This could be done with a petty-cash buyout. We are talking pocket change. A luxury mansion for one BO exec might run 30 mill. Seriously. This would be nothing for them.

Or if the BO concerns go beyond this one company to the concept of electric transportation in general, the technology could be attacked. They work in subterfuge to not immediately reveal another visible Nicad scenario. A fear campaign against batteries and the lethal power in them or a legal front mounted either at the components like Lith-ion, regen, acceleration, and safety or even electric motors themselves. Taking away any subsidies or fed-state and local incentives and even going so far has having restrictions against electrics could be lobbied.

Look out for BO secretly funded anti-electric groups to form (if they don't already exist). They might have names like "Concerned Citizens for the Environment" who is against copper mining and batteries like Lith-ion or "Taxpayers Against Government Waste" that fights Electric subsidies or "Mothers for children" Who venomously fight the high current electrocution potential in an ESS right behind the passenger seat.

The mind boggles at what BO may be capable of and how tiny Tesla may be in their sights. If I were Martin and believed this to be true or eminent, I might never even start the project except to have a couple of cool cars to race around in California. In the end maybe that will be the result -if, BO chooses to allow it.

A large percentage of oil revenues come from fueling automobiles and airplanes.

In the 1930's, GM squashed trolley cars in some American cities to further the automobile's prevalence. This was done with propaganda and lobbying efforts.

Read "The car that could". The book is pro-GM with regard to the EV1 and yet there is discussion on how big oil helped influence CARB's decision making process and eliminate some EV charging stations by lobbying and convincing tax payers they are paying for EV charging stations so rich EV drivers can fuel their “toys”.

I do not believe a small number of EV’s are enough initiatives to impact big oil; collectively however, peak oil, global warming, national security and increased gas prices begin to chip away at the façade. A company such as Tesla is small; but the concept, publicity and momentum are huge. Rewind to the early 80's, think Microsoft and IBM.

This is perhaps one of the reasons why companies such as EEStor are keeping their progress confidential. It may also explain why companies such as Tesla do not look for government help. It would be so much easier to squash EV or battery efforts if taxpayer money was involved. My guess is if the White Star is mass produced, the big oil and big auto gloves come off. At that point there may be little they can do or so we hope.