Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in the South - In the Snow!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thumbs up for Tesla AWD and all season tires. We are having a blizzard in Nashville terms. MS trudged right through without any issues. Surefooted and comfortable. Only issue was the parking sensors thought I was going to crash when they got tripped by some drifted show and by the end none of the sensors were working as they were fully covered/blocked.

This car is truly amazing!

We had a whole 1" of snow here, and that halted traffic for 7 hour backups. We have 2"-36" coming in the next 48 hours (yeah, great predictions, I should be a meteorologist).

But my parking sensors did the EXACT same thing, I thought mine were just malfunctioning. They kept glowing red and telling me to stop. But umn... I was far from the car in front of me.

We had a whole 1" of snow here, and that halted traffic for 7 hour backups. We have 2"-36" coming in the next 48 hours (yeah, great predictions, I should be a meteorologist).

But my parking sensors did the EXACT same thing, I thought mine were just malfunctioning. They kept glowing red and telling me to stop. But umn... I was far from the car in front of me.

Yes, this is a common problem with the sensors in wet, mucky snow. Not an issue with dry, champaign-powder snow. :biggrin:

Thumbs up for Tesla AWD and all season tires. We are having a blizzard in Nashville terms. MS trudged right through without any issues. Surefooted and comfortable. Only issue was the parking sensors thought I was going to crash when they got tripped by some drifted show and by the end none of the sensors were working as they were fully covered/blocked.

This car is truly amazing!

Agreed. Amazing indeed. This is my first winter with the S and it's been handling the snow very well.

Alas, other cars, not so much. So when it's gotten really bad I've resorted to my 20 year old pickup. Better to have some yahoo slide into that than the S. :)

I'm in the Raleigh NC area and we're battling the storm as well. I'm from Massachusetts originally so I was laughing at the less then an inch of snow we got here but when the freezing rain came and took out my Internet and then power I wasn't laughing as much. I decided to brave the weather in my S 90D and head over to a friends across town who still had power and Internet and I gotta say I was impressed! The roads were hardly plowed if plowed at all and a bit slipery (at least based on the number of cars I saw in the ditches I'd say this were the case) but my Model S handled it like a rockstar! I was driving slower but in all seriousness other then once or twice if I wasn't seeing the roads as they were (and the sensors not working..) I'd have no idea I was even driving in the snow. Really impressed, this car is a beast :)

Edit: I still wish there was a rear wiper though. The defroster never managed to melt off the snow and I didn't have a brush. Thankfully with the rear camera though I was able to use that as a rear view mirror!

We had 8 inches, Michelin X-Ice held their ground.

Beats Quattro and Haldex with rear e. differentials (S4 and TurboX which I owned) simply because of
the great weight distribution.

Took a ride through our post-blizzard ghost town, the only time I freaked out was when stopping distance
on a side street on black ice was longer than expected, stopped late at the tune of ABS chatter, luckily the
intersection was empty.

Very brave to drive the Model S in snowstorms. I'd be more worried about other drivers losing control and plowing into me. Years ago I used to own a 2nd car which was an old, beat up Subaru wagon. It was my "combat" vehicle for the purpose of necessary commutes in bad weather, and for infrequent trips to "less secure" neighborhoods. It allowed me to not put my nicer car at risk.