TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla in video games

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by dpeilow, Nov 11, 2009.

1. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

2. ryanjm

ryanjm Tesla Podcast Host

Since I work for an Xbox magazine for a living, I think I can shed some light on this one...well, not the GT5 part since that's a Sony game, but Forza 3...:wink:

While visiting the developer's offices a few months ago for a story on Forza 3, I did specifically ask Dan Greenawalt, the studio head, about putting the Tesla in the game. He told me it's not in there because tuning/user-created content is such a huge part of the game, and with the Tesla, of course, there's no ICE to tune!

3. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

#3 dpeilow, Nov 12, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
    Perhaps players will be happy adjusting the suspension and selecting performance mode. Or maybe there could be an imaginary market in higher performance motors or battery pack upgrades (you know, as you earn more cash, you can have an ESS with 2900mAh cells, better cooling for your PEM, that kind of thing). It would teach 'tuners' some of the issues involved with EV upgrades before the products hit the real world.

Then if you were participating in endurance races, you would have to work out the best strategy of charging pitstops vs. performance in the race.

Sounds to me like the developers aren't thinking outside of the (X)box.

4. Kardax

Kardax Member

I don't know why Dan Greenawalt thinks ICE tuning is so critical... the only ICE tuning the game allows you to do on race cars is to remove the restrictor plate and nobody's complaining.

All of the other options (suspension tweaks, weight reduction, brake upgrades, aftermarket wheels, creative paint jobs, etc) would all apply to the Tesla Roadster just like the other 400 cars in the game.

-Ryan

5. shark2k

shark2k Member

Project Gotham Racing 4 was supposed to have the Roadster in it: VIDEO: Project Gotham Racing 4 to feature the Tesla Roadster! — Autoblog Green

They filmed a commercial and the Roadster was one of the cars in the commercial. The link is from 2007 and I don't follow Xbox games so I'm not sure if the Roadster actually was in the game (I'm sure it came out late 2007 or early 2008). If it was, I would like to play the game just to play as the Roadster lol.

Edit: Game should have been released in September of 07 according to the article.

-Shark2k

6. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

The problem is probably the top speed though it'd be a killer at Tsukuba Circuit in Japan which is more twisty and bursty. Not so good on the speedway circuits though.

7. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Vehicle List - Project Gotham Racing 4 - Bizarre Creations

8. Kardax

Kardax Member

I have Project Gotham Racing 4 and can confirm that the Tesla Roadster is in the game. I took this picture myself shortly after it was released:
    [​IMG]

It's based on the original prototypes with the two-speed transmission, and the motor "idles" at 800 RPM, but otherwise it's a faithful representation.

MPT's assessment is correct. The Roadster's performance characteristics and weight distribution make it very potent on twisty tracks, but the low top speed makes it useless on tracks with long straights.

-Ryan

9. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

10. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Maybe a car download is on the cards then.

11. ryanjm

ryanjm Tesla Podcast Host

Most likely, as the PGR franchise is up in the air after its developer (Bizarre Creations) was purchased by another publisher (Activision). Also, when I visited Turn 10 Studios a few months ago for a story on Forza 3, they told me that most of the cars they use to photograph and scan into the game are from Seattle-area private owners. So you're right: all signs point to the Roadster becoming a downloadable car for Forza 3.

12. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Top motor racing video game series to continue, hints Tesla Motors - News, Gadgets & Tech - The Independent

13. toutizes

toutizes Member

Game informer says Roadster in GT5

The print version of GameInformer says the 2010 roadster sport is in GT5. They also say that it'll be out in March 10, but who knows?

They have 2 images of the roadster. The cockpit is very realistic, even the crappy JVC unit looks like the real thing.

Can't find a link at gameinformer.com though.

Matthieu

14. ShantJ

ShantJ New Member

There are in-game pictures? Can you please scan them?

15. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

#17 dpeilow, Jun 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  16. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Sounded like an ICE.

17. graham

graham Active Member

Maybe it was just so quiet you were hearing the car in front or behind it :)

18. DaveD

DaveD EVs Kick Gas!

No, the Doppler effect was clearly indicating that the ICE sound was coming from the Tesla. Lame, lame, lame!!! I sincerely hope that this was only a mistake made in the video production and they didn't actually make this stupid blunder in the game.