Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Western Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just in regard to the reply you received from Tesla (the two questions quoted above). I would have immediately replied to them in order to remind them of good manners and that the customer is always right (even when they may be wrong - not suggesting that you are wrong, btw). This is a classic example of modern "corporate speak" and I have had to rebuke (sounds messianic doesn't it?) one Tesla service employee about abrupt pejorative questions in reply to customers queries. In short, there are better and more diplomatic ways to have answered your question and that should have been the case. All customers reading this should always insist on proper answers to questions. It is rude and somewhat ignorant to answer a question with a question. Perhaps the younger retailing generation needs a reminder of this, but when you do remind them, do so with courtesy and FIRMNESS!

Hi garyjac,

I wanted to post the whole email but didn't because it has that "For intended recipient only" thingy on the bottom and I've been burnt on other forums quoting emails that didn't have the caveat on the bottom.

I'm a 198cm, 47 year old who isn't backwards in going forwards but I was left wondering how this particular Tesla person got his job. I am sure he wasn't interviewed by Mr Musk and he certainly didn't purvey what I thought should be, in my opinion, the stereotypical senior Tesla manager.

Is it just me or do others get sick of being called "mate" all the time from "millennials" who have forgotten how to properly address people/customers, young or old?

I've visited Denmark several times in the early days of the RAC Electric Highway. The trip was done via Bunbury RAC charger. Yes, it is a longer drive but I enjoy driving this car so much and the route through the forest from Manjimup to Denmark is so nice that I don't mind the extra time and kms. "The journey is the destination" in the Model S!

The lack of a service centre and Supercharger don't worry one bit.

It will happen one day. Perhaps by the time my Model 3 is delivered.

I agree JFK, Perth born and bred and love down south. Lived in Karratha for 12 years and purposely took the scenic tree route from Perth to Denmark just to see the trees. Not really any proper trees in the north west.

I'm a driver too and prefer the scenic, perhaps longer route, however, I want the choice and lots of options and really don't think it would add too much to the "Australia rollout" of Superchargers to include the West concurrently with the East. It can hardly be called Tesla Australia if it's still east coast centric a couple of years after the MS arrived. Just give me some hope and show an updated SC rollout map that shows WA

@Jays200 I get sick of it too. If they're really obnoxious by returning the favour and saying: "G'Day, I'm Mr ...... You can call me "Sir". Not that I'm overly officious and I don't want people "toadying" to me at the other end of the spectrum. Just the simple good manners to listen, pay attention when listening and not ask pejorative questions that imply they know what's in my mind.

Hi garyjac,

I'm a driver too and prefer the scenic, perhaps longer route, however, I want the choice and lots of options and really don't think it would add too much to the "Australia rollout" of Superchargers to include the West concurrently with the East. It can hardly be called Tesla Australia if it's still east coast centric a couple of years after the MS arrived. Just give me some hope and show an updated SC rollout map that shows WA
To be fair tesla is more US centric than anything else.
They have only been in Australia for a little over 1 year, and only had one service centre for around half that.
Australia is littered with failed companies that grew too fast, so it seems to me that TA are managing their growth, which is admirable. Sure I'd like superchargers all over SA too, but I purchased knowing that such is unlikely. Tesla have been gracious enough to install two destination chargers at my request, and I'm sure they would do more if I asked. I presume WA would recieve the same response. The service guys in melb and syd are always available to me for questions and concerns by phone, and I purchased knowing that right now I will not have the freedom of a petrol car, although in the last 8 months I cant say I've felt or been restricted.

If you watched Elon's presentation for Model 3 you'll have heard him preface it with the intention to double both Service Centre and Supercharger numbers, with the intention that any large city will have a place where you can purchase and service a Tesla. So somewhere like Perth WA with a population of over 2 million would be likely to be such a place. However I think you can assume Tesla will make these decisions based on reservations and sales and I don't think anyone within or outside Tesla knows or has yet made that decision as it affect Perth or WA.
So asking for a date to when Tesla will open a service centre and or roll out Superchargers is an unanswerable question right now. I'm sorry you get the answer you received but I have never had anything other than polite and courteous exchanges with the people at Tesla Sydney. I think you ran Into someone with limited customer service experience.
In the mean time thanks to RACWA you have a partial quick charging coverage by purchasing a Tesla CHADEMO adapter for you car. I only wish our local NRMA was as forward looking as RACWA.
The best way to increase the likelihood of service centres and Superchargers in your area is to be an ambassador for a Tesla, the more success they experience in your area the more likely you will get the service you desire.

If you watched Elon's presentation for Model 3 you'll have heard him preface it with the intention to double both Service Centre and Supercharger numbers, with the intention that any large city will have a place where you can purchase and service a Tesla. So somewhere like Perth WA with a population of over 2 million would be likely to be such a place. However I think you can assume Tesla will make these decisions based on reservations and sales and I don't think anyone within or outside Tesla knows or has yet made that decision as it affect Perth or WA.
So asking for a date to when Tesla will open a service centre and or roll out Superchargers is an unanswerable question right now. I'm sorry you get the answer you received but I have never had anything other than polite and courteous exchanges with the people at Tesla Sydney. I think you ran Into someone with limited customer service experience.
In the mean time thanks to RACWA you have a partial quick charging coverage by purchasing a Tesla CHADEMO adapter for you car. I only wish our local NRMA was as forward looking as RACWA.
The best way to increase the likelihood of service centres and Superchargers in your area is to be an ambassador for a Tesla, the more success they experience in your area the more likely you will get the service you desire.
Not sure that his presentation on doubling numbers was referrenced to a global market. Most pronouncements by Elon Musk relate to the US market.

@Jays200 I get sick of it too. If they're really obnoxious by returning the favour and saying: "G'Day, I'm Mr ...... You can call me "Sir". Not that I'm overly officious and I don't want people "toadying" to me at the other end of the spectrum. Just the simple good manners to listen, pay attention when listening and not ask pejorative questions that imply they know what's in my mind.
Better idea is to bump the problem up a level. I've found that sort of works with Tesla.

To be fair tesla is more US centric than anything else.
They have only been in Australia for a little over 1 year, and only had one service centre for around half that.
Australia is littered with failed companies that grew too fast, so it seems to me that TA are managing their growth, which is admirable. Sure I'd like superchargers all over SA too, but I purchased knowing that such is unlikely. Tesla have been gracious enough to install two destination chargers at my request, and I'm sure they would do more if I asked. I presume WA would recieve the same response. The service guys in melb and syd are always available to me for questions and concerns by phone, and I purchased knowing that right now I will not have the freedom of a petrol car, although in the last 8 months I cant say I've felt or been restricted.
Actually, they were here before selling the Roadster but had to withdraw... But they came back.
Until recently no supercharger between Brisbane and Sydney. I still did the trip 3 times before the PMSC showed up.
We are just a little on the forefront - enjoy it.

Service response for WA is very good based on my experience and that of other Perth owners.

A Tesla service team was in Perth recently for two weeks to conduct an annual services.

Hi , I've just signed up to this forum and i am trying to find out about how Tesla owners arrange to get their cars serviced. I,ve been talking to the reps in Melbourne but they are fairly non committal in anything they say in this area. I wanted to ask if Perth Owners get together to organise a Technician to come over to Perth and share costs. I am having a test drive in July and i think if i can find a suitable solution to the servicing question i would gladly purchase one of these vehicles.

I saw you posted fairly regularly on this site and you may be a person to ask.

Never spoken on a forum before and i hope i'm doing this right.

dr ZZZ

Hi , I've just signed up to this forum and i am trying to find out about how Tesla owners arrange to get their cars serviced. I,ve been talking to the reps in Melbourne but they are fairly non committal in anything they say in this area. I wanted to ask if Perth Owners get together to organise a Technician to come over to Perth and share costs. I am having a test drive in July and i think if i can find a suitable solution to the servicing question i would gladly purchase one of these vehicles.

I saw you posted fairly regularly on this site and you may be a person to ask.

Never spoken on a forum before and i hope i'm doing this right.

dr ZZZ

If there's a problem Tesla will first try and solve the issue on line, if it's not serious they'll sort it on the next trip to Perth, back in March a number of vehicles had passed the 1 year milestone, Tesla leased some floor space of a central location for a week and serviced vehicles, the customer service was extremly professional.
There are very close to 50 model S vehicles in Western Australia now a lot of the owners stay in close contact, any issues have been minor.
Check out TransOzTesla on Twitter, MDK has driven his P85+ from Perth to Brisbane and is on the way back, has passed the 10 000km mark in 4 weeks, almost 40 000kms since new.

Hi. I seem to be in a similar situation to Dr ZZZ. I've just returned from the UK, where I took a Model S P90D for a test drive. I was blown away by the experience, and I'm getting ready to order the S 60 very soon. I'm planning to buy the 8 year service plan. Does anyone know if this service plan covers the Tesla service team's visits to Perth? Or is there an additional charge for their travel expenses? I'm also curious to know if any WA Tesla owners have needed repairs and were unable to wait for the annual service team's visit. The Tesla website says their "Ranger service... fee is based $3 per km from the nearest Tesla Service Centre". I'm hoping this doesn't apply to Perth Tesla owners!

I was excited to read about the RAC charging stations in the south west. Does anyone know how long it takes to charge a Tesla on one of these?

Blue Heaven: I'd be grateful if you could also send me some info on the WA AEVA, so I can contact other Tesla owners.

To be fair tesla is more US centric than anything else....

Australia is littered with failed companies that grew too fast, so it seems to me that TA are managing their growth, which is admirable. Sure I'd like superchargers all over SA too, but I purchased knowing that such is unlikely. Tesla have been gracious enough to install two destination chargers at my request, and I'm sure they would do more if I asked. I presume WA would recieve the same response.
I know I am not qualified to speak of Australia, although I have driven around most of the continent ( I must admit I have no experience at all between Darwin and Cairns). Despite that I do have a few comments that i hope might be relevant.

First, Tesla is not really as US-centric as it appears to be, in my view anyway. They have made Europe even beyond the northern core, pretty much Supercharger-covered and are right now covering the tourist areas in Slovenia, Croatia, etc. China and Japan are both getting lots of attention also. For a company that is only now getting to production of >100,000 units per annum I think that is pretty impressive.

Both Australia and Canada share some common elements from a Tesla perspective, I wager. Both have California-sized car markets, both have a serious liking for fast cars, both are continent sized with vast distances. Both also have vast areas where even petrol is not easy to find, even though there is a petrol pump on almost every corner because there are not too many corners to be found in such areas. The Canadian solution has so far been Destination Chargers and large government-sponsored EV charging networks. The Australian situation seems to be developing similarly. So what is Tesla doing about it? I suspect they'll continue to invest in Service and develop ways to encourage Destination Chargers everywhere they can put them. They aren't Superchargers but they are perfect when there is fairly light use.

Personally, I want them to do this stuff quickly because I want to make my next Round Australia trip in a PxxD, so it can exceed my last one. I date myself by mentioning that I did a glorious trip in a hot Falcon, but had a tough time finding petrol on the long trip across the Nullarbor...only a similar Tesla trip could exceed that trip in sheer joy!:D
If I lived in WA I'd get the next SP100D that could be delivered there. I really miss WA, one of my favourite areas on the planet.

I'm planning to buy the 8 year service plan. Does anyone know if this service plan covers the Tesla service team's visits to Perth? Or is there an additional charge for their travel expenses?

I don't know about the service plan, but Tesla don't charge any more for servicing in Perth than they do in the rest of Australia.

I'm also curious to know if any WA Tesla owners have needed repairs and were unable to wait for the annual service team's visit.

I know of at least two occasions where a ranger has made a special trip for warranty repairs. Don't worry, we are well looked after here.

I was excited to read about the RAC charging stations in the south west. Does anyone know how long it takes to charge a Tesla on one of these?

If you have the optional CHAdeMO adapter you can get a full charge in around 1.5 hours, though for most destinations an hour is usually enough to get back home - just enough time for lunch!

Blue Heaven: I'd be grateful if you could also send me some info on the WA AEVA, so I can contact other Tesla owners.

There will be several Teslas at the upcoming Como Rotary car show on Sunday (2nd October) so if you're free come down and say hi!

Otherwise the next WA AEVA meeting is on the 11th October at UWA