Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla inconsistency and timelines for PTO...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
super frustrating process. I actually ordered mine back in 5/2020. Took them some back and forths to fix my order, and was fully signed 7/2020. For some reason they just dragged on and on and making one mistake after another and after a failed installation attempt, finally got it installed on 4/20/2021 and inspected 4/30/2021. Now after twice weekly calls about my PTO, still waiting for them to submit it. I have Edison in my area who told me its only about 5 days for them to approve the PTO.

What? Over a year and still not up and runing?

I do have a slightly more difficult install since I have a clay tile roof (the curvy ones from early 90s), and they break quite easily. Tesla won't install panels on those, but I worked with them to get the plan of the panel layout and hired my own roofer to replace those sections with shingles. My roof was prepared back in August 2020, and Tesla still took their time to schedule install in February 2021. I had been asking them since December if my shingle layout is correct and the site survey guy came and flew a drone over to take pictures and I repeatedly heard, "yes its good" via email, text, and phone call. They never once gave me actual measurements, so we were kind of guessing based on panel size etc.
Install day came and the guy stopped everything right away saying its not even close. So I got the roofer back out again to fix the layout and finally got installed in April. Even then they decided to change the layout on me to make it easier for them to install (grouping more panels together), which didn't matter to me, since I had already prepped the roof extra just in case.
Only to find out the PTO process takes even longer if the install was changed from the plan since they have to go re-work the plan.

I call and email them every week since April and always get "we will escalate it" message and a supervisor will call you, but that of course never happens.

Sunrun handles all roofing aspects which would have been way easier, but I've read some bad comments about Powerwall installs from Sunrun though at least last year.

I've been a big tesla fan for a long time, and I know how they are with customer service, but this has been the worst experience ever.

They submitted to PGE Tuesday and I got PTO today. Overall a 9 month process.. ordered october 2020…install late march 2021…. Inspection passed and paid in full early April, Agreement sent to PGE june 15, Pge gives PTO June 17. Installers were great. 4 powerwalls, added 8kw more solar

Reactions: brian.c
They submitted to PGE Tuesday and I got PTO today. Overall a 9 month process.. ordered october 2020…install late march 2021…. Inspection passed and paid in full early April, Agreement sent to PGE june 15, Pge gives PTO June 17. Installers were great. 4 powerwalls, added 8kw more solar
Great to hear! Mine was submitted 6/11, called PG&E 6/15 and was told it was in line. I guess they don't do them in order they are received.

super frustrating process. I actually ordered mine back in 5/2020. Took them some back and forths to fix my order, and was fully signed 7/2020. For some reason they just dragged on and on and making one mistake after another and after a failed installation attempt, finally got it installed on 4/20/2021 and inspected 4/30/2021. Now after twice weekly calls about my PTO, still waiting for them to submit it. I have Edison in my area who told me its only about 5 days for them to approve the PTO.
I agree it's super frustrating.

But more importantly it is a potential class action suit against Tesla. Simply put, once Tesla installs the panels and receives it payment, it does not care any further for the consumer being able to use the product.

Curiously, i got an email from the last representative with his manager CCed. I plan to give them a piece of my mind. Unknown to them, my paper is submitted and with the PGE.

Just as a thought, see if asking to speak to the representative's supervisor pushes this along.

Best

Good luck with PG&E, seems like they use the same lottery system that Tesla uses... Many get response from PG&E in a day or two, mine has been there for a week now. They say, still in line for review, but can not explain why some move along so much faster. Asked if mine was flagged, or any issues, and simply said it was in line for review. Asked why others submitted after mine were already approved, could not answer other then its in line, and as far as they are aware they are done in order received.

Brian, no clue, but maybe has to do with that I had existing Tesla(Solar City) solar and the smart meter already set. Plus two Tesla cars as new usage. Meaning they know I will still be paying them money for electric.
Interesting, I also had existing solar. I spoke with another PG&E rep later when I had some questions about the rate change, and she said likely because I had existing solar so was taking longer. Did you have to provide any additional documentation on future energy use? I never saw anything about increase justifications. On the interconnection application just says I plan to increase. Then again, when I spoke with PG&E, each time they simply said it had no notes, and was in line for review. So as of yesterday, sounds like no one has even looked at it.

Interesting, I also had existing solar. I spoke with another PG&E rep later when I had some questions about the rate change, and she said likely because I had existing solar so was taking longer. Did you have to provide any additional documentation on future energy use? I never saw anything about increase justifications. On the interconnection application just says I plan to increase. Then again, when I spoke with PG&E, each time they simply said it had no notes, and was in line for review. So as of yesterday, sounds like no one has even looked at it.
I can’t really explain it either then. I predicted I would have issues without them spelling out my expected energy need increases. i have 1 newer model y (wife) but getting another tesla this month or next replacing my car. So they did add that both cars to energy expansion needs. Not sure if that helped but I was worried.

maybe it’s different counties and working queues. I’m in contra costa.

Finally got the automated email saying submission to my utility company and thr text as well. So Im confident PTO is finally submitted after passing inspection back on April 13th. I may give SDGE a call tomorrow just to verify they see it. Hang in there guys.

Mine still sitting at PG&E, going on 2 weeks with no movement.
Wow I wouldnt expect it to take too long after submission. My PTO was submitted by Tesla yesterday and this morning I received a confirmation email from SDGE acknowledging receipt. A couple hours later, I got another email saying PTO approved. I waited 4 hrs before calling Tesla. They updated my account which allowed me to see things up and running in the app.

Mine is 10months now and still not done, and it has been 6 months since final payment (Dec 2020)

1. After final payment, it turned out that Tesla didn't get approval from PSE, because they were unresponsive when PSE asked for clarification. And it just didn't move for 3 months.
2. Finally I figured out with PSE together that Tesla had an incorrect diagram and incorrect installation. I have a CT meter and they didn't put it on the diagram. And they put an AC Disconnector on diagram but didn't install it.
3. PSE requires the AC Disconnector in the proper place. But Tesla designer didn't understand the requirement, even though PSE and I have explained this clearly to the POC person, the POC person simply didn't relay all the context information and designer came back with incorrect design again.
4. It took two more months and still Tesla isn't able to fix the diagram as required by PSE, let alone fixing the installation.

It is always painful to reach their customer service. For example, I called them today at 3:36pm and was prompted that office is closed as business hour ends at 4pm!!!

Called PG&E today for update, rep said it's still in application review. Tomorrow marks the 10 business day limit for approving or denying the application. So tomorrow they say if its still not passed the application review, they will expedite. After application review it still has to go to engineering review so I assume I am still weeks away. Again can not tell me any reason why it has not moved, or if anyone has even seen it, only that it has not been rejected or approved. Refused to expedite today so will have to call back again tomorrow to check status.

Today, PG&E informs me they have not received the permit... I have called PG&E a few times over 2 weeks, each time asking specifically if there are any problems, if they received all paperwork. Each time being told everything was fine and its in the review process. So I guess you could sit there forever until you get someone who knows what to look for. Tesla says it was all submitted, so I assume I will simply end up in a black hole of no PTO. Tesla advisor is telling me they will expedite, but have no faith in that.

Today, PG&E informs me they have not received the permit... I have called PG&E a few times over 2 weeks, each time asking specifically if there are any problems, if they received all paperwork. Each time being told everything was fine and its in the review process. So I guess you could sit there forever until you get someone who knows what to look for. Tesla says it was all submitted, so I assume I will simply end up in a black hole of no PTO. Tesla advisor is telling me they will expedite, but have no faith in that.
Now after talking with Tesla, and another call back to PG&E. PG&E now says they do have the permit, which was submitted with original application. Supervisor had a tough time finding it, but it was there. She is basically saying at this point, if after 30 days I still do not have PTO to call them back. She said no way to escalate it, nothing she can do, just wait. Can't tell me if anyone has looked at the application, or if its even being actively worked on. After 30 days they will then look at the account again. PG&E website specifically says application will be reviewed within 10 days... So we are at day 11, application has not been reviewed. After application review, then goes to engineering review. Engineering then has 15 days to respond. Not really sure who dropped the ball on this, but seems like it slipped through the cracks, and nobody is going to try to figure it out until 30 days out from the application submit date.

Now after talking with Tesla, and another call back to PG&E. PG&E now says they do have the permit, which was submitted with original application. Supervisor had a tough time finding it, but it was there. She is basically saying at this point, if after 30 days I still do not have PTO to call them back. She said no way to escalate it, nothing she can do, just wait. Can't tell me if anyone has looked at the application, or if its even being actively worked on. After 30 days they will then look at the account again. PG&E website specifically says application will be reviewed within 10 days... So we are at day 11, application has not been reviewed. After application review, then goes to engineering review. Engineering then has 15 days to respond. Not really sure who dropped the ball on this, but seems like it slipped through the cracks, and nobody is going to try to figure it out until 30 days out from the application submit date.
Been there, done that, exactly. :-(

What was the final outcome? Any suggestions?
You are on the right track. Keep bugging PG&E and then find out why Tesla fails. Then perhaps you can send the required information to them in leu of them getting it from Tesla.

That is what I did, but in the end of the day I am not 100% sure Tesla also did not do the right thing too. But I had more of a dialog with PG&E then I did with Tesla so hard to say.

All I know is that whatever PG&E did not like or was waiting for from Tesla, I sent that info to them with the application number and my account number. Within a week I had my PTO.