Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla increase MCU2 Upgrade price to £1700

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its outrageous, i just found out its price increase to £1700 from £1400.

They are so bad, we should do petition against this kind of sudden price change overnight.

I also booked an service for upgrade; i was believed its price £1400 but they sent estimates cost, £1700.

Im still fighting, i got three days to go my appointment, i dont know whether i go ahead or not.

Mates, what do you think of this?

well that stinks - my MCU1 has got the the point of crashing so often I am fed up with it and have contacted Tesla to get my £1400 repair aka MCU2
,,, which appears to now be £1700
I hadnt bothered to date as I think you lose the DAB radio in the UK and with AP2.0 you dont even get Sentry recording either.

I would just be happy if it worked the way it did when I bought it, but numerous software "updates" just make it more and more clunky and strip useful features in the name of progress, then the eMMC chip issue piles in and makes it even worse. Disappointing really.

well that stinks - my MCU1 has got the the point of crashing so often I am fed up with it and have contacted Tesla to get my £1400 repair aka MCU2
,,, which appears to now be £1700
I hadnt bothered to date as I think you lose the DAB radio in the UK and with AP2.0 you dont even get Sentry recording either.

I would just be happy if it worked the way it did when I bought it, but numerous software "updates" just make it more and more clunky and strip useful features in the name of progress, then the eMMC chip issue piles in and makes it even worse. Disappointing really.
I have AP 2.0 and have sentry recording after the upgrade.

I have AP 2.0 and have sentry recording after the upgrade.
That's good to know - thankyou.
It must have been added in a software update at some point as I remember there were complaints initially that this was not possible.

If you want the DAB radio that's another £470 though so still £2170 to fix something that shouldnt be broken in the first place.
Doesn't look good on Tesla really; but probably other manufacturers wouldnt do much better.

Based on this thread I rushed in an appointment of MCU2 as the Dutch page still listed the old price. I just got confirmation that I will get the upgrade for € 1.550 next Monday. No idea if there's any intention to raise the EUR price as well, still lists for € 1.550 ATM here.

Per: Infotainment Upgrade

“This upgrade is available for £1,700, including installation, for vehicles equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and for £1,400, including installation, for all other vehicles.”

Still £1,400 for AP3/FSD, presumably increased to cover the part and labour costs of migrating the older AP hardware.

DAB support remains £470 with perennial “later this year” estimate.

Last edited:
Reactions: KyleDay
It’s likely cheaper for AP2.0+ cars than earlier cars because to get mcu2 retrofit into earlier cars it requires some wiring harness repinnjng (more labor). Retrofitting mcu2 into AP2.0+ cars is just plug and play.