Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla increases Model S and X Supercharging rate to 225 kW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems Arizona is doing well with V3 - more of them % wise than any other state at the moment it appears? I'm looking forward to charging at 225 in my Model X though... I thought it was already capable... hmm... wonder if this will help keep higher rates on V2s?

That’s probably a really good thing. In the summer heat, v2 supercharging speeds really suffer, especially if you end up with a slightly worn cord or one someone else already heated to the limit.

The car never tells you why you get throttled, but I have long believed that was the cord/connector thermal limits causing the throttling. If that’s correct, the v3 sites shouldn’t suffer from it nearly as much since the cable is liquid cooled.

These new peak rates are nice but my observation see the tapering to be the real problem for reducing the time at the Supercharger. I would really like to the ramp up from 10% battery to 200KW by the time it gets to 15% and then stay at the 200 KW level until the battery reaches 60% - 70% and then taper down as we get to 90% of full.

Any thoughts on this?

Anyway, I still look forward to getting 225KW even if the time at 225 is only a minute.

The original article mentions that this is limited to only newer MX/MS. As a 2019 Raven owner, I'm very much wondering when exact the cutoff is. :) TeslaFi only shows M3 and MY getting the latest update. Has anyone with a MX/MS got this, and if so, what is your manufacturing date?
Well, I answered my own question, I just installed 2020.24.6.1. No mention of the increased charging rate. I'm on a 5/2019 Raven MX.

ChangeLog included: Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control Beta; Backup Cam Improvements; DashCam Viewer Improvements; TuneIn Improvements, Walk-Away Door Lock Improvements, On-Route Battery Warmup, and New Language Support.

Well, I answered my own question, I just installed 2020.24.6.1. No mention of the increased charging rate. I'm on a 5/2019 Raven MX.

ChangeLog included: Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control Beta; Backup Cam Improvements; DashCam Viewer Improvements; TuneIn Improvements, Walk-Away Door Lock Improvements, On-Route Battery Warmup, and New Language Support.
I just received 2020.24.6.1 for my 2019 pre-raven MS made 3/19 with battery pack D - my notes look exactly the same as yours.

• Informative
Reactions: Bixby MS and Janus
No 85 kWh car can enjoy these charge rates. Due to Tesla's intentionally throttling supercharging rate on these cars (#chargegate), we generally don't see rates above 70 kW.

That’s the boat I’m in.

6D5AF721-1FE9-4BCD-9D7A-F47DCC1746A0.jpeg

The original article mentions that this is limited to only newer MX/MS. As a 2019 Raven owner, I'm very much wondering when exact the cutoff is. :) TeslaFi only shows M3 and MY getting the latest update. Has anyone with a MX/MS got this, and if so, what is your manufacturing date?

9/18 X100D with FSD and hw3.
The NOA follow car thru light is wonderful. The backup camera is close to a 360, and works really well. Great update.

I got my update yesterday. Did not drive it yet as I was binge watching Watchmen. No mention of charge rate increase. I plan to drive to a SC today to see if I notice any change. Following are the pics. The resolution of the dash cam pics are superb. Also, the rear camera has a wide angle sweep and crisp too.
IMG_20200624_193832.jpg IMG_20200624_193604.jpg IMG_20200624_193325.jpg IMG_20200624_193306.jpg

It is a release note that only applies to cars with a "pack config 93" battery pack. We don't know which, if any, current Teslas have a pack config of 93.
Yeah green on twitter found references to packconfig93 in the code. It's odd that they would release a public software update that included tags for an unreleased battery pack though. I checked in with someone else on the forum whos Model S was delivered a week ago and he has the current -F battery as well so that can't be it either. Really not sure who this update is geared for. Fingers crossed though would be nice to have.

just got new update tonight...rode over to supercharge and got constant 72kW until the last 15 min when it dropped down....Interestingly, I charged from 23% to 90% and car charged to 357......I checked out TeslaFi and my Model S showed rated miles at 353.42 and the estimated at 361.31.....not much difference ....However, my wife's Model 3 after charging to 90% showed rated miles at 271.69 and estimated miles at 211.69....this is a ~60 mile difference....Is something wrong with her car?

It is a release note that only applies to cars with a "pack config 93" battery pack. We don't know which, if any, current Teslas have a pack config of 93.

I was curious too and since my battery label says nothing of "packconfig93" I did a bunch of searching and only came up with an unofficial reference that stated, packconfig93 refers to all 2020 built Model S and X that are AWD and are Long Range Plus or Performance with 100KW battery. The 93 refers to 93 KW of usable power in the 100KW pack.

On my last update 2020.20.12 I tested the V3 Supercharger and achieved a peak charge of 196 KW so if this update exceeds that then I guess the new update applies to our 2020 MS LR Plus. I'll need to do a bit of driving before going to the V3 Supercharger so it will probably be next week before I can test it.

New full range now states 403 miles

I was curious too and since my battery label says nothing of "packconfig93" I did a bunch of searching and only came up with an unofficial reference that stated, packconfig93 refers to all 2020 built Model S and X that are AWD and are Long Range Plus or Performance with 100KW battery. The 93 refers to 93 KW of usable power in the 100KW pack.

On my last update 2020.20.12 I tested the V3 Supercharger and achieved a peak charge of 196 KW so if this update exceeds that then I guess the new update applies to our 2020 MS LR Plus. I'll need to do a bit of driving before going to the V3 Supercharger so it will probably be next week before I can test it.

New full range now states 403 miles

The issue with that theory is there is a conditional <div> in the HTML code that says if the car is equipped with "packconfig93" a "Super Charger Improvements" section in the update notes would show. If our cars had "packconfig93" it would have triggered this section to appear after this update.

It's not 225 kW but I was able to hit 187 kW with my 2017 S100D at the new Centennial, CO v3 Supercharger when it first opened on 6/13/20. Years ago, it would max out at 130 kW but that was bumped up to 150 kW. Maybe now it's at 200 kW for older cars?

View attachment 555624

This is good news! I drive an early 2018 Model S100D that nowdays peak at 120kW, but it keeps this steady flow up until I've reached perhaps 90-95% charging.

I was told by Tesla that even if I would upgrade the charging-electronics to enable the use of the European CCS-adapter, I would still max out at 120kW. Your post indicates that I would be able to go higher.

Here's another similar signal on that subject: Tesla Model S Takes 135 kW Using CCS Combo 2 Adapter

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
All Tesla battery packs have 96 “rows” of cells where all the cells in a row are connected in parallel with the rows connected in series. Each row of cells is charged at 4.2 volts. 96 rows therefore are charged at 403.2 volts (96x4.2). The only variable available is the charging current per cell as all cells in a pack are charged at the same current. The 18650 cells were limited by Tesla to a maximum of 4 amps per cell. This was for two reasons: To limit the heat generated in the cells by the charging current and to limit cell degradation. I’ll spare you the details. The 85/90 pack has 74 cells per row. 74x 4 x 96 x 4.2 ~ 120 kw, the limit on power for V1 Superchargers.
The 2170 cells were initially limited to 6 amps per cell because the larger cell cross-section gave the cells 2/3 the resistance of the 18650s for the same amount of heat despite the higher current. But I believe that the Model 3 LR battery pack has a more capable cooling system than the 85/90 packs. Possibly also true of the 100 pack.

This enables them to raise the peak charging current per cell for the 2170 packs for maybe 15 minutes per before tapering off. The maximum power that can be applied was therefore increased in proportion to the higher current, maybe 150 kw. It may be that the 100 pack has a cooling system that can also be tweaked. If so, that pack with a software update may tolerate higher max charging current/power, shortening charging time for that pack.

If you think of an 85/90 pack as 7104 resistors of .015 ohms dissipating 4 amps each, the total peak power dissipated is 16 x .015 x 7104 = 1700 watts or the equivalent of about 17 100 watt light bulbs, a lot of heat to get rid of.
You forgot about 60, 70, and 75 batteries ;)

Reactions: croman
The issue with that theory is there is a conditional <div> in the HTML code that says if the car is equipped with "packconfig93" a "Super Charger Improvements" section in the update notes would show. If our cars had "packconfig93" it would have triggered this section to appear after this update.

Two questions-
When was the mfg date of your 2020 MS LR+?
I'm sure your battery pack is labeled "F" as is mine. Is there anyone who has a newer battery than build F?

My theory is that those of us who do not have the 100KW battery are not going to get the stated 225 peak charging at V3 ( with this update, maybe more in the future). The proof, regardless of what theories are posted by hackers and others is what one of us with the latest build in a 2020 MS gets when we hit the V3 250KW Supercharger. If it is well over 200KW then that's conclusive this update was applied to our 2020 MS LR+

I did my update last night from my iphone and it was raining so I have not yet gone to the car to see what the screen states. Need to let the car cover dry off before I remove it.

Anyway, as soon as you can, head to a V3 Supercharger and let us know what your peak rate jumps to. It may be middle of next week before I can drive to my nearest V3 which is about a hundred miles from me.