Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla increases Model S and X Supercharging rate to 225 kW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two questions-
When was the mfg date of your 2020 MS LR+?
I'm sure your battery pack is labeled "F" as is mine. Is there anyone who has a newer battery than build F?

My theory is that those of us who do not have the 100KW battery are not going to get the stated 225 peak charging at V3 ( with this update, maybe more in the future). The proof, regardless of what theories are posted by hackers and others is what one of us with the latest build in a 2020 MS gets when we hit the V3 250KW Supercharger. If it is well over 200KW then that's conclusive this update was applied to our 2020 MS LR+

I did my update last night from my iphone and it was raining so I have not yet gone to the car to see what the screen states. Need to let the car cover dry off before I remove it.

Anyway, as soon as you can, head to a V3 Supercharger and let us know what your peak rate jumps to. It may be middle of next week before I can drive to my nearest V3 which is about a hundred miles from me.

On the FB groups, there are folks saying they have rev G packs.

Two questions-
When was the mfg date of your 2020 MS LR+?
I'm sure your battery pack is labeled "F" as is mine. Is there anyone who has a newer battery than build F?

My theory is that those of us who do not have the 100KW battery are not going to get the stated 225 peak charging at V3 ( with this update, maybe more in the future). The proof, regardless of what theories are posted by hackers and others is what one of us with the latest build in a 2020 MS gets when we hit the V3 250KW Supercharger. If it is well over 200KW then that's conclusive this update was applied to our 2020 MS LR+

I did my update last night from my iphone and it was raining so I have not yet gone to the car to see what the screen states. Need to let the car cover dry off before I remove it.

Anyway, as soon as you can, head to a V3 Supercharger and let us know what your peak rate jumps to. It may be middle of next week before I can drive to my nearest V3 which is about a hundred miles from me.

Didnt see any screenshots so did you get the 225kw charge upgrade? Mine is build in 05/2020 so was just curious if i will get it :)

My rev is F

Got in the car and can add that I also do not have the packconfig93 notice in the new features list. So, I will still test at the V3 Supercharger next week just for fun but based on everyone's theories, I don't have hopes up this software update will give us higher charge rate at V3. Doesn't mean Tesla won't do it in the future.

Personally, I would rather see the tapering curve be longer times at the top charge rate at the 150KW Superchargers. Nice to have 225 but this might benefit existing users more. Thoughts?

Reactions: Jabbahop
Kind of a moot point for a most of us. Tesla only seems to want to place V3 chargers on the east and west coast... there are a very few exceptions, but I have never seen one V3 bank traveling extensively throughout the mid and southwest US. So to advertise this as a feature is a bit mis-leading - they should put an * on that statement because if you never get to use a feature then it is not a feature. And they should make clear that the majority of all new charger installs are still V2, certainly in the midwest.

In Tesla's defense I get it that the V3 chargers reduce wait time and lines in high demand areas, and in all honesty I've never seen wait Iines to charge except once when four chargers were down in Waco. I find it a bit of an empty promise still...

I am also curious to know at what point V3 begins to taper the charge amps down, and are you under 50kW when you hit 80%?

Are V3 actually faster if you need a 95 to 100% charge to reach destination?
For me the V3 charger would remove an obstacle to taking trips. My wife refuses to travel any "real" distance where we have to stop and charge multiple times. I have a Model 3.

There is a sticker up under the wheel well front right.
Tesla Battery Label.jpg

There is a sticker up under the wheel well front right. View attachment 556305
Thanks - not obvious or easily accessible Without removing the wheel. Had to take a bunch of line shots using my iPhone and then find one that actually got the shot in frame. I never would’ve found it without your help. Apparently my 100 D is rev “D”
The highest rate of charge I’ve had at a V3 is 163 KW.
Haven’t tried it since this update but I’m guessing it’s not gonna be much different.

2A88162F-D184-4187-A937-DF48258355D7.jpeg

DEBA0177-19C5-42BB-A236-36C1333DF6CB.jpeg

Thanks - not obvious or easily accessible Without removing the wheel. Had to take a bunch of line shots using my iPhone and then find one that actually got the shot in frame. I never would’ve found it without your help. Apparently my 100 D is rev “D”
The highest rate of charge I’ve had at a V3 is 163 KW.
Haven’t tried it since this update but I’m guessing it’s not gonna be much different.

Yes, just curious, when did you take delivery or mfg date? FWIW- I only did one V3 charge and it peaked at 196 held at 194 for a couple minutes as I recall and then tapered. So, I'm curious what it will do with this new software. Based on opinion consensus probably stuck at the same with Rev F. But, let's not lose hope, Tesla may just be testing and could improve on it with future updates.

Wonder how recent of a change the -G battery is. Exciting news nonetheless!
Probably only closed beta or alpha testers at this time. Maybe as Tesla proves these charge rates with tapering is safe they will open up all 100KWpacks to the rating on the V3 with a new update. With the Y coming on fast it's nice to know Tesla hasn't forgotten it's MS owners.

There seems to be many variables to these charge rates. Like: Did you precondition; at what battery charge state did you begin; obvious battery letter revision; and build date ( not delivery date ).

I have tried unsuccessfully to learn what the differences are between the various letter revisions in the battery construction and design without success. Many theories and uneducated guesses but no one seems to know for sure because they have facts from Tesla or they have dissected the pack physically to include chemical analysis of the cells. We do know that Tesla is constantly experimenting with different cell chemistry and cooling systems.

Based on the maximum range changes that I have received from Tesla through software update as well as this peak charge rate, I believe that there is just one fixed hardware size most of us have in our recent MS which is 100KWh. The peak charge rate and miles range is just software limited and could change at the whim of Tesla. Meaning, that while current evidence from us posters is that the G rev is necessary to achieve 225 peak charging, doesn't mean that D - F won't ever be upgraded in the future through another software upgrade. However, no software upgrade will increase an 85KWh to 100 or even 100 to 120. Those will always be limited by the battery itself.

> Tesla increases Model S and X Supercharging rate to 225 kW

:eek::eek::eek: Can someone dumb this down for those not yet owners? Thanks in advance.
Before increase it took A minutes to fully supercharge 2020 S with 1 mile left;
After increase it takes B minutes to fully supercharge 2020 S with 1 mile left;
A = ?
B = ?