Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla increases Model S and X Supercharging rate to 225 kW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
> Tesla increases Model S and X Supercharging rate to 225 kW

:eek::eek::eek: Can someone dumb this down for those not yet owners? Thanks in advance.
Before increase it took A minutes to fully supercharge 2020 S with 1 mile left;
After increase it takes B minutes to fully supercharge 2020 S with 1 mile left;
A = ?
B = ?

Someone will need to gather the data. Peak rate is not going to illustrate this critical information.

Tesla has increased peak rate before and actually extended overall charge time by lowering rates throughout the charge cycle. It is better to have sustained moderate charge rates rather than a minute of 225kW and 40 minutes of 100kW.

Croman- Excellent explanation. TeslaFi has a nice way of collecting that data as it will track the tapering during the charging process.

What interests me is not whether I can charge at the latest peak rate, but in this software case what Tesla MS qualify for the new peak rate at a V3. For overall efficiency and lowest cost and time, in my case, the most efficient Supercharger is one that is 5 miles away that has a peak rate of 150KW. However, I plan to visit the nearest V3 again just to see if it has changed sonce the last time I used it when it charged me at the peak of 196KW for a minute. FYI- as I reached 300 miles range the charging on the V3 was down to 46KW and continuing to taper.

I would add one more point before the "not yet owners" run off: If a Tesla owner charges just during those higher charge rates of charge, for just a partial charge, he can reduce the time charging as opposed to charging to "fill up" like in a gas station stop. This requires more stops on a road trip but the total time for the trip can be less. EV's do offer more options to control and complicate the charging process. You pick the option based on your current need.

Reactions: croman
I self identify as antifa. Hell, I might even be the #2 man at antifa! Just like everyone else who cares about this country.
I don't have enough data yet to know on this latest peak rate increase.

Or is this an increase in supercharger cost to fully charge?

Depends on how your Supercharger charges:

It should be no different if based on charges by the KWh.
If billing by the minute, it may cost more depending on the time difference. Need more data.
If you have a Model S free Supercharging or have free Supercharging credits then it is only a concern of time savings not money spent.

Personally, I say the jury is still out on your questions until we get more information from actual charging, For some of us, it's more about time saving than $ cost because we get free Supercharging anyway.

Still confused.
Is this an increase in speed of supercharging ==> reduction in time it takes to fully charge?
Or is this an increase in supercharger cost to fully charge? o_Oo_Oo_O

It should be a decrease in time to charge, and the cost should go down slightly in per minute territory and be unaffected in per kWh places.

But as noted above, we really need taper curves to understand the impact. Most likely the entire curve is shifted up, or at least stays the same except for a brief higher peak.

It’s theoretically possible that the higher peak is somehow paired to lower sustained rates so it’s faster/cheaper at the beginning, but slower/more expensive for the full pack, but that’s unlikely.

Had a chance to drive to a V3 Supercharger to test my MS LR+ with 2020.24.6.1 with a rev "F" battery.

Note this is the second test I did at this Supercharger. The first one was back on May 29 using 2020.20.12.1.

I tried to match the starting battery range SoC to compare.
That max charge was less than a minute at peak 196KW and then it tapered fast. Starting at 73miles range

This time I peaked at 205Kw but my starting was 68miles range. Again it rampped up to that peak but only held for a few seconds and then began to taper off just like before only this time higher.

The taper dropped backed to 188KW where it then slowed down as I continued to charge for 34 minutes, when the charger just quit. I got a message on my screen that stated: "The Supercharger failed. Please disconnect and wait then reconnect and try again." I did wait for a minute but it wouldn't restart. The entire Subercharger was very hot but outside air temps was 100°. So I waited 5 minutes and tried again and it fired right up to the same charging current it was at before shutting off. I continued to charge to 335miles range for the trip home. That took another 15 minutes as the charger was only working at 60KW.

So it took 50 minutes including a 6 minute interruption ( 44 minutes total charging time) to add 275 miles of range. It took 15 minutes to add the first 172 miles of range.

What I got home I went to a local 150KW Supercharger but the place was packed with other Teslas charging. I was able to get 60KW on a shared charger to bring me back up to 345miles range.

What I'm not sure of is how that 68 miles range starting point affects the peak number in the beginning. If I started the V3 at say, 20 miles range remaining would it have peaked even higher?

Also, while I only have two data points, it is noteworthy that the peak exceeded the earlier software version that claimed 200KW and never hit that mark. This time it exceeded it to 205KW but not 225 nor did it hold for very long at all. The tapering speed at first is fast but continuously slows down.

I look forward to reviewing the results from anyone with a G rev battery.

• Informative
No 85 kWh car can enjoy these charge rates. Due to Tesla's intentionally throttling supercharging rate on these cars (#chargegate), we generally don't see rates above 70 kW.

I saw 135KW on my P85D in Scotts Valley (v3 charger) about a month ago for about 5 minutes before it went down to 118KW. I started low at 10%.

I doubt I'd see that if I were on anything later than v8.1.

• Informative
Kind of a moot point for a most of us. Tesla only seems to want to place V3 chargers on the east and west coast... there are a very few exceptions, but I have never seen one V3 bank traveling extensively throughout the mid and southwest US. So to advertise this as a feature is a bit mis-leading - they should put an * on that statement because if you never get to use a feature then it is not a feature. And they should make clear that the majority of all new charger installs are still V2, certainly in the midwest.

In Tesla's defense I get it that the V3 chargers reduce wait time and lines in high demand areas, and in all honesty I've never seen wait Iines to charge except once when four chargers were down in Waco. I find it a bit of an empty promise still...

I am also curious to know at what point V3 begins to taper the charge amps down, and are you under 50kW when you hit 80%?

Are V3 actually faster if you need a 95 to 100% charge to reach destination?
THat;s the key, you may have a max of 225 but after 60-70% you are probably below 50kw

I have a 2017 model x with CCS upgrade... i haven't charged at a gen3 charger yet... but can it go to a maximum of 225 charge? I normally use ionity chargers and never got more then 140kwh.
We've gotten 187 kW on our 2017 Model S on a v3 Supercharger. You should be able to get similar if your battery is at the right temperature and SoC. On a v2 Supercharger you could get about 150 kW if it isn't being shared.
IMG_20230303_184122_866.jpg

Reactions: ShareLofty