Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Increases Prices Again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Another price change has hit Tesla vehicles.

Late Friday, Tesla raised the price on variants of all currently available vehicles.

The Model Y Long Range price increased $2,000 from $54,990 to $56,990. The Model 3 Standard Range Plus price also jumped $2,000 to $43,990 from $41,990.

Tesla’s priciest cars also received the biggest price hike. The Model S sedan and Model X SUV prices are now $5,000 higher. Tesla’s highest-priced Plaid variants of the vehicles were unchanged.

Tesla’s prices have fluctuated all year as the company has tried to overcome challenges with suppliers caused by the pandemic. Tesla did not give a specific reason for the new price increase, but mentioned during its Q3 earnings call that it expected to continue experiencing pains from the pandemic going into next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2019 M3 and was going to upgrade to the MY but not anymore! They just lost a sale but I’m sure Elon doesn’t care. I really hope they shot themselves in the foot and sales go down!
I don't blame Elon. With the current shipping crisis, chip shortage, etc... They are doing what is necessary. And with demand exceeding supply by quite a bit, they can get away with the price hikes. It sucks as a customer to see this, but I do understand why Elon is doing it.

I have a 2019 M3 and was going to upgrade to the MY but not anymore! They just lost a sale but I’m sure Elon doesn’t care. I really hope they shot themselves in the foot and sales go down!
At the same time, it should have helped the resale of your car. I doubt you would complain about that. That should help lessen the sting a bit if you want to upgrade.

Based on current demand, and the backlog, these prices might look great in a few more months. I bought my MY after it started ticking up before. I was ticked I didn't buy sooner but a lot of discussion with my wife delayed pulling the trigger. Now I look like a genius and she even commented she was glad we bought when we did.

It is all a matter of perspective.

I don't blame Elon. With the current shipping crisis, chip shortage, etc... They are doing what is necessary. And with demand exceeding supply by quite a bit, they can get away with the price hikes. It sucks as a customer to see this, but I do understand why Elon is doing it.
Manufactured shipping "crisis", more like collusion. Look some of the container ships in queue for the ports and notice how high they're sitting in the water. They're not filled to capacity and are carrying many empty containers, but the cost of sending many more less-than-full ships to make the "crisis" seem worse allows them to recoup the costs of fuel and manpower 10x over or more.

Everyone is taking advantage of the situation, whether they're impacted or not.

Reactions: JimmySure
So a $4000 increase on the best selling Model 3 (SR+) in the span of a month! I bet people that were on the fence about buying one in Sept are kicking themselves now.
I'm upgrading to FSD from EAP on 11/15 for $1000.00 as I have a feeling the next price uptick will be those activating FSD or upgrading from EAP to FSD. 2K is a big jump

Manufactured shipping "crisis", more like collusion. Look some of the container ships in queue for the ports and notice how high they're sitting in the water. They're not filled to capacity and are carrying many empty containers, but the cost of sending many more less-than-full ships to make the "crisis" seem worse allows them to recoup the costs of fuel and manpower 10x over or more.

Everyone is taking advantage of the situation, whether they're impacted or not.

Maybe the half million pounds of fuel in crossing the ocean is part of the reason?

I'm taking advantage too. Probably delay my LR order to the summer, then crow about how cheap it is...

Reactions: blodg1
When I bought my 3 LR, the price dropped 2k just a few months after out of nowhere. I was a little annoyed, but now that the price is back up to where it was and FSD is now 3k higher, I don't feel so bad. The lesson is never to wait too long unless a price drop or new features are expected.