Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla increases the price of the Powerwall as demand greatly outpaces production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, this prompted me to make a reservation. Looks like improved functionality in v3

What v3? These are just software updates to the existing setup (with the exception of 3-phase power support, which for anyone in North America is useless). Tesla has already pushed these software updates to existing customers, and I really could care less that the Gateway now comes in a Tesla-branded box.

Reactions: GreenT
What v3? These are just software updates to the existing setup (with the exception of 3-phase power support, which for anyone in North America is useless). Tesla has already pushed these software updates to existing customers, and I really could care less that the Gateway now comes in a Tesla-branded box.
It wasn't clear to me if there were hardware changes. It did talk about refresh of the Gateway and improved connectivity hardware and three phase capability for APEC region. Reading between the lines it looks mostly like software grades and some hardware changes. I think these are incremental improvements being rolled into v2 rather than a new v3 product.

I don't understand the demand. At these prices they make no sense from an economical point of view. Even if you calculate a very generous 24 ct per kWh savings by shifting usage around, it takes 10 years to recover the cost of a powerwall.

What am I missing?
Nobody is getting a PowerWall to ROI or to even break even.

It's however piece of mind during outages, keeps those solar-panels working during outages, some rebellious fight-the-man, and to be on the trendy edge of power-tech.

I don't understand the demand. At these prices they make no sense from an economical point of view. Even if you calculate a very generous 24 ct per kWh savings by shifting usage around, it takes 10 years to recover the cost of a powerwall.

What am I missing?

The world is bigger than the continental US. Average electricity cost in Australia is as high as 42 cents in SA.

• Love
Reactions: David99 and GreenT

What am I missing?

Uh, not to be a pill, but you're certainly missing the reason Tesla EXISTS, or do you not read the newspaper?

Five things we have learned from the IPCC report

Climate Science Special Report: Executive Summary

Evidence | Facts – Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet

Or perhaps ROI is the most important metric in your world?

"Sorry kids, life on our only planet's going to be a real problem, but I really had to save $20 a month on my electric bill; that was just more important . . . "

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
The powerwall supply issue can't be resolved until Tesla can make an adequate capital investment in production of those units. Given Tesla's capital needs in expanding production in many areas, people wanting a Tesla branded battery need to get in line. The powerwall is the most commodity-like thing they make, so they are unlikely to prioritize production over other stuff.

We don't have three phase residential power in the US but lots of light commercial power is three phase since it is so much more efficient in running electric motors.
Just about every public charger I connect to is wired to a three phase circuit. (208 volts is the giveaway). Just about every commercial building, apartment, etc. The only thing that doesn't have three phase is single family residential.

Uh, not to be a pill, but you're certainly missing the reason Tesla EXISTS, or do you not read the newspaper?

Five things we have learned from the IPCC report

Climate Science Special Report: Executive Summary

Evidence | Facts – Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet

Or perhaps ROI is the most important metric in your world?

"Sorry kids, life on our only planet's going to be a real problem, but I really had to save $20 a month on my electric bill; that was just more important . . . "

ROI is definitely not always my priority. If it was I would have a lot more money now LOL
I bought a Model S because I believe in Tesla. No need to convince me. Buffering energy is definitely a necessary step to be able to use 100% renewable energy.

The powerwall supply issue can't be resolved until Tesla can make an adequate capital investment in production of those units. Given Tesla's capital needs in expanding production in many areas, people wanting a Tesla branded battery need to get in line. The powerwall is the most commodity-like thing they make, so they are unlikely to prioritize production over other stuff.
By Tesla you mean Panasonic?