Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This forum often makes me think about selling my car, but what would I replace it with? Is the Model 3 going to have similar issues down the road? Or possibly different, worse issues? I could get another eGolf for $14,000 after incentives, but then I wouldn’t be as safe and I would lose the ability to do road trips. Are there any other electric cars out there worth considering?

The Model 3 is a protected class. You’ve got an army of weaponized millennials ready to go to war with Tesla over a $500 price drop or an excluded feature like track mode.

The Model 3 has been essentially unchanged since the first ones built since 2017.

Do you know the hell that would be unleashed if the 2020 Model 3 had an MCU3 that Tesla decided to focus on and leave MCU2 in the dust?

It’s easy to tell an install base of 50,000 to F off.

500,000.. a good chunk of them being millennials - no way.

At this point in time I could sell my Model S and buy a new Model 3 with an MCU2 and not pay anymore than the remainder of what I owe on my Model S. So in theory a free MCU2 upgrade. I just solved everyone’s MCU1 upgrade problem for them. Close the thread.
I am sorry to say you have not !. It might be option for you but not necessarily a solution for others.

and even then it’s typically not clear or has so many gaps you can drive a freight train through it.
You mean like when their CTO, JB, tried to invent new physics to explain that horsepower unit for EV's is not the same as horsepower for any other mechanical devices (to explain how Teslas which couln't produce more 2/3rd of the advertised horsepower are actually meeting the spec, because the hp Tesla uses is the newly invented "EV hp", not the hp as defined by science)?

You mean like when their CTO, JB, tried to invent new physics to explain that horsepower unit for EV's is not the same as horsepower for any other mechanical devices (to explain how Teslas which couln't produce more 2/3rd of the advertised horsepower are actually meeting the spec, because the hp Tesla uses is the newly invented "EV hp", not the hp as defined by science)?

or how lighted vanity mirrors would be coming to all cars as a retrofit as soon as they are ready only to never be seen. It’s still in their new blog....

Inside Tesla - 08.02.12

I figured I would get some criticism for this post, but let’s see if I can come up with a way to make it more on topic than posts concerning refrigerator touch screens. The title refers to the obsolescence of the MCU1 and the potential for a replacement MCU2 that will help older Teslas avoid obsolescence for a while longer. The only known way so far to get the MCU2 upgrade is to buy a new car. At this point in time I could sell my Model S and buy a new Model 3 with an MCU2 and not pay anymore than the remainder of what I owe on my Model S. So in theory a free MCU2 upgrade. I just solved everyone’s MCU1 upgrade problem for them. Close the thread.

When you can't beat them - join them is a valid and rational strategy.

Switching to a Model 3 yields the certain outcome that you will get MCU 2 and have an army of Redditers, Facebookers and Twits ready to 'cancel' Elon if he makes the mistake of crossing them. Accelerating sustainable transport is woke - until your neighbor gets a better/cheaper car than you.

However, there are those that fight an uphill battle for a multitude of reasons.

The Model 3 is the plebeian Tesla. Compared to the S/X, far more people can afford it. Only the S/X/Roadsters have any kind of cachet. I personally do not judge people on what they have or what they don't have.
I have an August 2018 3P+, its approx 2X what an SR was at 35K and 50 percent federal credit. Looks completely the same except I have bigger panel gaps, worst aligned charge port and more unpainted areas. Model 3 is overwhelming peak Prius saturation. Prestige is a factor for some - right, wrong, or indifferent. You cannot expect a BMW 7 series driver to step down to a 3 series to get the best car.

Promises matter to some people, regardless of cost. Elon promised coast to coast driving in 2016. Customers paid a huge premium over the Model 3 at that time partially based on that promise. Despite Elon's talk about HW3/FSD being independent of the MCU, I have my skepticism about that. Know of MCU1 / AP2 retrofits? I don't. Tesla has a duty to make those buyers whole.

Elon anti-sold the Model 3, spouting the S/X being the advanced technology platforms. They would be getting the latest and greatest first - with the eventual "trickling down" to Model 3. I knew this was a complete crock the moment it came out of Elon's mouth. The Model 3 forces Tesla down a path to slow down innovation. You cannot maximize advancements while maximizing economy of scale and dealing with mass market. Tesla had to build the best 3 possible, take a lot of losses upfront doing so and hope the design can hold while delivering FSD.
Those who were led on to the S/X being the best should be made whole.

S/X buyers have huge depreciation. It doesn't make sense for them to sell off and lock in that loss for a marginal upgrade in entertainment features. They should wait until MCU 3 and get more clarity on how FSD is going to happen on those old cars.

Tell me about it. I just replaced my MCU screen and upgraded the emmc chip because I couldn't wait any longer.
The retrofit is not going to be cheap... 4-5K
I sure hope this is all on the up & up. I have MCU1+AP2.0. Currently, I'm at 45K miles so 5K from hitting my 50K miles warranty period and was debating an extended warranty. I may now forgo that and put that money into an MCU2 (with a new EMMC chip).

Well... keep in mind it was announced nearly 2 years ago so technically it's right on time LOL
Not a single FSD feature delivered to anyone who bought FSD before 2019. The only people who got FSD features are people who bought FSD after Tesla redefined what FSD means earlier this year, to consist of mostly what used to be part of EAP before.

Not a single FSD feature delivered to anyone who bought FSD before 2019. The only people who got FSD features are people who bought FSD after Tesla redefined what FSD means, to consist of mostly what used to be part of EAP before.
I wish I could argue with you but I can't. That being said, this was an internal mail beginning the process.

I sure hope this is all on the up & up. I have MCU1+AP2.0. Currently, I'm at 45K miles so 5K from hitting my 50K miles warranty period and was debating an extended warranty. I may now forgo that and put that money into an MCU2 (with a new EMMC chip).
Honestly, I don't think the extended warranty is worth it. Most people don't spend 5k on their car post warranty. Im at 2200 and at 130K