Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  1. Has there any AP1 vehicle already been eligible for the MCU2 upgrade?
  2. And if yes, what is the part number of that MCU2 retrofit for AP1 vehicles?
I've been caught by the following confusing situation:

Two days ago my local SeC informed me that the MCU2 retrofit can now be ordered, which I did right away. Today they told me that this was based on a misunderstanding, because as of now only AP2+ vehicles are eligible for that upgrade, which includes the HW3 retrofit, though our Model S from 2016 is equipped with AP1.

So the assumption is that the information from the Infotainment Upgrade page at the Tesla website with "All remaining Model S and Model X owners -> Coming Soon" is still correct (though obviously not the footnote and "Currently limited to North America only at this time. Other regions to be announced.") and that the MCU2 retrofit for AP1 vehicles will differ, with a different part number and cheaper, since it does not include the HW3 upgrade.

Two days ago my local SeC informed me that the MCU2 retrofit can now be ordered, which I did right away. Today they told me that this was based on a misunderstanding, because as of now only AP2+ vehicles are eligible for that upgrade, which includes the HW3 retrofit, though our Model S from 2016 is equipped with AP1.

Your service center is super blacked out. AP1 vehicles have getting retrofits for a while now.

Reactions: Gt1948
  1. Has there any AP1 vehicle already been eligible for the MCU2 upgrade?
  2. And if yes, what is the part number of that MCU2 retrofit for AP1 vehicles?
I've been caught by the following confusing situation:

So the assumption is that the information from the Infotainment Upgrade page at the Tesla website with "All remaining Model S and Model X owners -> Coming Soon" is still correct (though obviously not the footnote and "Currently limited to North America only at this time. Other regions to be announced.") and that the MCU2 retrofit for AP1 vehicles will differ, with a different part number and cheaper, since it does not include the HW3 upgrade.

Even my Pre-AP car (2014 P85+) got the upgrade over a month ago. Part number attached.

Attachments

• A154AFD3-FC01-4D97-A4AD-DB5C98A49C0F.jpeg
    A154AFD3-FC01-4D97-A4AD-DB5C98A49C0F.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 127
Your service center is super blacked out. AP1 vehicles have getting retrofits for a while now.

Don't forget that the person @Tesl@ Bargain lives somewhere in Central Europe according to his location information.

We, as Europeans, have gotten the possiblity to perform this Infotainment Upgrade as of 2 weeks ago. The status in The Netherlands (which isn't Central Europe anyway, so that might differ) is that only the AP2.0 and AP2.5 cars are eligable for this upgrade. The information Tesla provides to me is that the AP1.0 and AP3.0 cars will be allowed in Q4 this year as well.

I've requested the AP2.5 --> AP3.0 swap 6 weeks ago, a bit of a bummer but Q4 doesn't sound too bad after all. Frankly, I can't wait to upgrade the MCU :)

All hw3 cars came with mcu2. I can't imagine there is a hw3 mcu2 retrofit other than the few mcu1 owners that got hw3 while waiting for MCU2 which are few.

For people in the USA this might be true, however the people in Europe who have purchased FSD were given the ability to make the HW3.0 swap starting from March, and were even upgraded without explicit request during (regular) maintenance at the SeC.

For people in the USA this might be true, however the people in Europe who have purchased FSD were given the ability to make the HW3.0 swap starting from March, and were even upgraded without explicit request during (regular) maintenance at the SeC.

I would be upset if Tesla installed hw3 without my permission and as a result I couldn't get mcu2 until after others. That's pretty messed up.

We, as Europeans, have gotten the possiblity to perform this Infotainment Upgrade as of 2 weeks ago. The status in The Netherlands (which isn't Central Europe anyway, so that might differ) is that only the AP2.0 and AP2.5 cars are eligable for this upgrade. The information Tesla provides to me is that the AP1.0 and AP3.0 cars will be allowed in Q4 this year as well.
Indeed, that's the info here in my country as well, so currently only AP2.0 and AP2.5 vehicles eligible for that retrofit.

Even my Pre-AP car (2014 P85+) got the upgrade over a month ago. Part number attached.
Thanks. How much did you pay for it? Because the assumption was, that the retrofit for AP1 vehicles must be cheaper due to the missing HW3 upgrade.

So if that's correct, there must be two part numbers, one for AP2 & AP2.5 vehicles (which includes the HW3 upgrade) and one for AP1 vehicles (Part # 9874564-00-B), right?

This is true for Switzerland also.
My HW3 upgrade (from HW2.5) was done in June 2020 (no request for it, my appointment was for the MCU UV process) and my MCU2 retrofit is planned for the 15 october 2020.

This is true for Switzerland also.
My HW3 upgrade (from HW2.5) was done in June 2020 (no request for it, my appointment was for the MCU UV process) and my MCU2 retrofit is planned for the 15 october 2020.

No, the $2,500 plus tax is the price for the MCU2 upgrade.
Separately Tesla is replacing HW2.x at unrelated service appointments to simplify its software stack.

so the Tesla website says coming soon, but just to confirm, some preAP folks are getting the MCU2 upgrade no problem?
Yup. I have had no problems at all after about a month of daily usage (except for the widely reported reduction in sound quality and backup camera, and loss of airwave radio). But I have used only TuneIn radio streaming and occasional navigation, have not played games or web or movies. There was no delay in waiting for parts (1 week).

So true. Was wondering, since I'll be making the 2.5 hour drive to my SC on the 19th, was thinking of asking them to do this at the same time. Best not to complicate things with Tesla though, so I'll probably wait.

It's a nice upgrade. I would call your sc and ask or add it to the app and see what happens. If they order the right part you should be good to go. When they know what to do in the upgrade it takes a couple of hours. If they run into trouble it could fail to take or take days for the software to deploy properly.

Between my first Tesla (2015 85D) and my last (2018 P100D) the MCU was literally the biggest difference. They drove almost exactly the same, P100D was a lot faster but you're not gonna be stomping on it a lot (it's not pleasurable) and in any case the 85D was plenty of fast too, Autopilot was functionally exactly the same, the cabin was arguably worse on the P100D (I loved the yacht floors), none of the parking/summon gimmicks mattered to me (the s85D also had summon).

But dat Silky Smooth MCU2 and the crazy definition camera, plus the Tesla Dashcam, now THAT made a big difference.