Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Between my first Tesla (2015 85D) and my last (2018 P100D) the MCU was literally the biggest difference. They drove almost exactly the same, P100D was a lot faster but you're not gonna be stomping on it a lot (it's not pleasurable) and in any case the 85D was plenty of fast too, Autopilot was functionally exactly the same, the cabin was arguably worse on the P100D (I loved the yacht floors), none of the parking/summon gimmicks mattered to me (the s85D also had summon).

But dat Silky Smooth MCU2 and the crazy definition camera, plus the Tesla Dashcam, now THAT made a big difference.
I have a 2015 S 85D also and have been debating whether or not to upgrade. It seems people really like the faster MCU. I haven't been bothered by my old MCU but what am I missing?

I have a 2015 S 85D also and have been debating whether or not to upgrade. It seems people really like the faster MCU. I haven't been bothered by my old MCU but what am I missing?
The hip factor and the problem of dying eMMC gone!

Functional I am not dissatisfied with what our MCU1 has to offer. Since ours is a Model S facelift, it already has the LTE module. Yes, it's quite slow at times, and yes, quite a lot of software annoyances lately (like complete loss of audio system, which not even a reboot can fix, requiring a full vehicle power down to go away), but still does what it's supposed to do.

Nevertheless, we are going for the retrofit as soon as it becomes available in my country, I've already put in my "pre-order" at the local SeC.

No, the $2,500 plus tax is the price for the MCU2 upgrade.
Separately Tesla is replacing HW2.x at unrelated service appointments to simplify its software stack.
OK, now I remember, the HW3 swap is part of the FSD package, that's why there is only one price for the MCU2 upgrade (our Lead Service Advisor made it sound as if it was part of the MCU retrofit).

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr

Honestly you probably don't need it. If you drove a MCU2 car for a week though, going back to MCU1 would probably be a pain, however, these things really matter different amounts to different people.

That being said, Tesla has a way of changing the software for the later systems thus making the earlier systems super slow, so I'd expect that to happen to your car at some point.

As long as you're happy with it, honestly, you're fine. Functionally there's very little difference. It's just that the touch responsiveness matters to me (I get impatient), but even on the S 85D I had zero problems.

Model S 85D is a great car all around, btw. You can find it for pretty cheap now, it's SUPER fast, great range, free supercharging, etc. Keep that thing as long as you can!!

Honestly you probably don't need it. If you drove a MCU2 car for a week though, going back to MCU1 would probably be a pain, however, these things really matter different amounts to different people.

That being said, Tesla has a way of changing the software for the later systems thus making the earlier systems super slow, so I'd expect that to happen to your car at some point.

As long as you're happy with it, honestly, you're fine. Functionally there's very little difference. It's just that the touch responsiveness matters to me (I get impatient), but even on the S 85D I had zero problems.

Model S 85D is a great car all around, btw. You can find it for pretty cheap now, it's SUPER fast, great range, free supercharging, etc. Keep that thing as long as you can!!
I usually keep my cars a long time. My other car is a 2000 Land Rover. I do plan on keeping the S for a long time.

You gain:
  • Eliminate chance of MCU memory chip failure (this will happen with MCU1)
  • AP3 with better autopilot visual even if you didn’t buy AP3*
  • A buttery smooth UI that doesn’t lag
  • Working browser
  • Sentry mode. Dash cam*
  • Side view on reverse*
  • Games and other apps
  • Future upgrade compatibility
* probably requires ap2.x to start
You loose
  • FM AM radio
  • Reverse camera now darker at night
  • Some say audio quality got worse (I can’t tell the diff)
Totally worth it to me

You gain:
  • AP3 with better autopilot visual even if you didn’t buy AP3*
  • Working browser
  • Sentry mode. Dash cam*
  • Side view on reverse*
  • Games and other apps
* probably requires ap2.x to start
You loose
  • FM AM radio
Totally worth it to me
No, he won't get this with this 2015 85D. This is the AP1/pre-AP list:
  • Working browser
  • Games and other apps
It's a pretty short list considering the first two can be addressed with a $500 emmc upgrade.

Reactions: mspohr
Got my S back from the Tampa service center with the MCU + FSD upgrade. Fantastic! Kids are super embarrassed that dad can do karaoke mode while dropping them off. I already had a new screen from the yellowing so this is my third screen. It seems like its noticeably sharper and brighter.

Reactions: Gt1948
Reading this, I'm wondering if there has there ever been a report of yellowing on the latest generation of MCU2 used in the retrofit, or is this now definitely an issue from the past?

I think they have resolved this issue. My second screen was installed in May 2019 after being on a wait list for maybe 9 months. Service center had given me the option of replacing the screen with another screen that would yellow, or waiting for a revision that would not yellow. I opted to wait. That second screen (pre-MCU upgrade) never developed the yellow border. The first screen developed it after 1 year of ownership.

Shortly after getting that second screen, Tesla stopped replacing them and started pushing the UV solution.

• Informative
Reactions: Tesl@ Bargain
I think they have resolved this issue. My second screen was installed in May 2019 after being on a wait list for maybe 9 months. Service center had given me the option of replacing the screen with another screen that would yellow, or waiting for a revision that would not yellow. I opted to wait. That second screen (pre-MCU upgrade) never developed the yellow border. The first screen developed it after 1 year of ownership.

Shortly after getting that second screen, Tesla stopped replacing them and started pushing the UV solution.

I had my screen replaced. Then yellow came back. Uv treated. Now i think yellow is coming back

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I got the new screen, and the yellow border is there. I'll wait until another service visit to deal with it because a mobile ranger said it had to be done at the SC. With my old screen, it wasn't obvious but with the new screen, it's obvious when the keyboard appears.
My original screen now 6 years old hasn't yellowed. Makes me think that I should keep it if I replace the MCU. I think this is possible.

Tell me more about audio quality. I'm ok with tune in going down, since i use it for podcasts. I use the built in slacker app a lot though, and I have the premium audio system (back when that was a separate option, this is a 2013 p85). Will the HW2 basically just eliminate the audio upgrade i have now? I can take tune-in being worse but not slacker (it's already rather low in HW1!)

Getting FSD HW3 and Infotainment upgrade on my 2016 MS P100D. Started yesterday at Costa Mesa SC and they told me it was to be done by 5pm, which I did not expect to happen. Hoping to get back tonight by 5pm and will update. Funny thing is I got a text saying the hw has been installed but the firmware update hasn't been able to sync with new hw, but they are still trying to push it through. hmmm... I should hope so.... ;-)

Tell me more about audio quality. I'm ok with tune in going down, since i use it for podcasts. I use the built in slacker app a lot though, and I have the premium audio system (back when that was a separate option, this is a 2013 p85). Will the HW2 basically just eliminate the audio upgrade i have now? I can take tune-in being worse but not slacker (it's already rather low in HW1!)
I have premium audio and just got the Infotainment Upgrade 2 weeks ago. I have not noticed any degradation of audio quality. I have noticed that the volume is higher for a given setting, which is good, in my opinion.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: raphy3 and Gt1948
You gain:
  • AP3 with better autopilot visual even if you didn’t buy AP3
  • Working browser
  • Sentry mode. Dash cam
  • Side view on reverse
  • Games and other apps
You loose
  • FM AM radio
Totally worth it to me
No, he won't get this with this 2015 85D. This is the AP1/pre-AP list:
  • Working browser
  • Games and other apps
It's a pretty short list considering the first two can be addressed with a $500 emmc upgrade.

You can preemptively prevent the EMMC issue but your UX will still be laggy unless you get the MCU2 upgrade