Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Eliminate chance of MCU memory chip failure (this will happen with MCU1)
Please don't kid yourself - you are not eliminating the chance of MCU memory failure with MCU2. MCU2 has an emmc which will also fail at some point. It may not be as quickly as the original MCU1, but definitely no longer (likely sooner) than the replacement MCU1 daughterboard you can get now, which has the same emmc chip but MCU1 uses it less than MCU2. Note that even Tesla halved the MCU2 upgrade warranty recently from 4 years/50K miles, to 2 years/25K miles - why do you think that is?

Getting FSD HW3 and Infotainment upgrade on my 2016 MS P100D. Started yesterday at Costa Mesa SC and they told me it was to be done by 5pm, which I did not expect to happen. Hoping to get back tonight by 5pm and will update. Funny thing is I got a text saying the hw has been installed but the firmware update hasn't been able to sync with new hw, but they are still trying to push it through. hmmm... I should hope so.... ;-)

Day 3 - maybe they will figure out how to d/l the new firmware today

Please don't kid yourself - you are not eliminating the chance of MCU memory failure with MCU2. MCU2 has an emmc which will also fail at some point. It may not be as quickly as the original MCU1, but definitely no longer (likely sooner) than the replacement MCU1 daughterboard you can get now, which has the same emmc chip but MCU1 uses it less than MCU2. Note that even Tesla halved the MCU2 upgrade warranty recently from 4 years/50K miles, to 2 years/25K miles - why do you think that is?
The problem with wear was excessive logging which was fixed last year.

• Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd
I thought @verygreen calculated that the memory capacity in the MCU2 chip would far outlast the useful life of the car?

IMO i think that calculation is based on the current software. The demands, games, software is only getting more complex and larger. I imagine mcu2 will also run into the same problems as the software becomes more demanding and logs more and more

Reactions: Shateam
IMO i think that calculation is based on the current software. The demands, games, software is only getting more complex and larger. I imagine mcu2 will also run into the same problems as the software becomes more demanding and logs more and more
well, while it's hard to know what the future holds, we are still on target even despite the drive getting the full encryption in 2020.20

Code:
Power Loss Counter [PWR_LOSS_COUNT]: 0
Data Written 100MB Size Count [WRITE_COUNT_100MB]: 8481
Cumulative Init Count [INIT_COUNT]: 1590
Total SLC block erases [SLC_ERASES_TOTAL]: 8580
Average SLC block erases [SLC_ERASES_AVG]: 451
Minimum SLC block erases [SLC_ERASES_MIN]: 0
Maximum SLC block erases [SLC_ERASES_MAX]: 1058
Total MLC block erases [MLC_ERASES_TOTAL]: 45203
Average MLC block erases [MLC_ERASES_AVG]: 45
Minimum MLC block erases [MLC_ERASES_MIN]: 4
Maximum MLC block erases [MLC_ERASES_MAX]: 81
Spare Blocks Remaining [SPARE_BLOCKS_LEFT]: 199
Runtime Bad Block Count [RT_BAD_BLOCK_COUNT]: 0
Initial Bad Block Count [INIT_BAD_BLOCK_COUNT]: 1

• Informative
Reactions: hmidha and viper2ko
I thought @verygreen calculated that the memory capacity in the MCU2 chip would far outlast the useful life of the car?
It depends on how much Tesla throws at it (new logging or data collection features can be added over the air) and environmental factors (park it for few weeks in a desert, emmc likely to fail). But even if it does, you don't need MCU2 to get that emmc chip - the Tegra replacement board (significantly cheaper than the cost of MCU2 upgrade) has the very same chip, and we know MCU1 uses the emmc less, so it will wear it out slower.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shateam
Ok now this is not amusing anymore... SC just texted that they are still trying to have the firmware pushed, techs checking logs and fuses to be sure everything is ok. Anyone have any suggestions???
Welcome to Elon's "best process is no process" methodology. Every update has a chance to turn into an engineering challenge, since the number of production variations is so large there is no way for them to have tested the upgrade on all possible configurations it can go into. One day Elon will learn why the other guys have model years, instead of making production line changes every 2 weeks (something he has proudly spoken of numerous times) and allowing non-standard "creative solutions" on the assembly line just to keep the production going.

well, while it's hard to know what the future holds, we are still on target even despite the drive getting the full encryption in 2020.20

Code:
Power Loss Counter [PWR_LOSS_COUNT]: 0
Data Written 100MB Size Count [WRITE_COUNT_100MB]: 8481
Cumulative Init Count [INIT_COUNT]: 1590
Total SLC block erases [SLC_ERASES_TOTAL]: 8580
Average SLC block erases [SLC_ERASES_AVG]: 451
Minimum SLC block erases [SLC_ERASES_MIN]: 0
Maximum SLC block erases [SLC_ERASES_MAX]: 1058
Total MLC block erases [MLC_ERASES_TOTAL]: 45203
Average MLC block erases [MLC_ERASES_AVG]: 45
Minimum MLC block erases [MLC_ERASES_MIN]: 4
Maximum MLC block erases [MLC_ERASES_MAX]: 81
Spare Blocks Remaining [SPARE_BLOCKS_LEFT]: 199
Runtime Bad Block Count [RT_BAD_BLOCK_COUNT]: 0
Initial Bad Block Count [INIT_BAD_BLOCK_COUNT]: 1

can you translate for the uninitiated? :)