Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would agree with you but they moved navigate on AutoPilot to full self driving now. If you take long road trips full self driving may be worth it just for this. I find this MCU upgrade hard to justify though if you don't have full self driving as it seems the useful updates require the HW3 self driving computer also. To get both for my car is $6500 hard to justify that expense when it may be better to put that money towards a new one...

What I'm struggling with is what happens given I've got a vehicle with AP2.0 and MCU1. Yes, I'll (supposedly) get AP3 BUT it is now looking more and more like it'll be of limited functionality, and questionable if it will ever be true FSD. Part of the early buy-in was the promise that Tesla would upgrade whatever was needed to have it fully functional. I'm not buying it anymore. This MCU "upgrade" will only be partially effective, since the sensor suite (including cameras) won't be upgraded. Even when pairing it with AP3, there's something missing. This is becoming a situation of half-measures and more of a patchwork of future problems.

Thankfully, I've got another year. I would have stayed with my S, but I'm sensing something is amiss. Certainly getting new loses things like the sunroof (never had the option of ventilated).

Honestly, it's lowering my opinion of Tesla.

Without the FM/XM tuner, this upgrade is a big NO for us - since we listen to FM/XM in our S and X almost all of the time, particularly live local & national sports and news. Tesla could close the gap by adding a Sirius XM built-in streaming app. Radio.com isn't a replacement, especially for sporting events that have are restricted in broadcasting live sports (college/professional).

As pointed out above, our 2017 S appears to be worth around $60K for a trade-in. A new fully loaded S LR+ (without a sunroof) lists for $90K. If Tesla transferred our FSD over to the new vehicle, that would reduce the purchase price to $84K. Rather than spending $2500 to upgrade to an MCU2 and lose radio, we could spend $24K for a brand new S - with 55 miles longer range, and all of the newer dashboard and AP hardware. And because Tesla won't have to spend money on upgrading our 3 year old vehicle to the new processor, they should be able to give up some credit for that in the trade-in.

While it's great that they are offering the infotainment upgrade, unless they can provide access to the FM (HD radio) local stations and XM satellite stations [which both work even when internet isn't available or is too slow for audio streaming], this is a downgrade...

Can you get those stations on a phone app and then stream to your car?

• Love
Reactions: scottf200
What I'm struggling with is what happens given I've got a vehicle with AP2.0 and MCU1. Yes, I'll (supposedly) get AP3 BUT it is now looking more and more like it'll be of limited functionality, and questionable if it will ever be true FSD. Part of the early buy-in was the promise that Tesla would upgrade whatever was needed to have it fully functional. I'm not buying it anymore. This MCU "upgrade" will only be partially effective, since the sensor suite (including cameras) won't be upgraded. Even when pairing it with AP3, there's something missing. This is becoming a situation of half-measures and more of a patchwork of future problems.

Thankfully, I've got another year. I would have stayed with my S, but I'm sensing something is amiss. Certainly getting new loses things like the sunroof (never had the option of ventilated).

Honestly, it's lowering my opinion of Tesla.

I have yet to know if HW 2.0 cameras prevent FSD from working. If Tesla can get FSD working with my HW 2.0 cameras, then they have fulfilled their promise. When I purchased my 2017 car, there was no mention of Sentry mode and therefore shouldn’t have needed color cameras anyway. Until I see videos showing HW2.0 camera recordings looking awful, I’m still excited for even just the OPTION to upgrade. This improves my opinion of Tesla. It is a bummer about FM and XM, but not a deal breaker to me. Especially when there are phone apps that can stream.

Can you get those stations on a phone app and then stream to your car?

Not completely - plus without screen mirroring, and using the Tesla phone dock, it's pretty inconvenient to use the Sirius XM app while driving - and on some drives, there still is spotty internet coverage along some of the roads.

If Tesla could provide streaming access (without blackouts) to local FM/HD radio stations - and XM's streaming service, that would be an acceptable replacement for the FM/XM radio.

Without that, we'd lose capability that we use frequently by spending $2500 on an MCU upgrade for our 3 year old S...

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
This thread was originally about the conflict of Musk statements vs Tesla Policy. Now that upgrade is available, it is OVER and resolved. I’m unsubscribing. I did not sign up to read people complaining about what they begged for for months and >100 pages.

bye
Thanks for taking the time to let us know. We really appreciate it.

Is it me, or does the picture on tesla's site show the yellow border??

Now it's not an issue, it's a feature :)

mcu-upgrade.png

havent even touched FM on my car..TuneIn app in the car has a TON of radio stations. And the Tesla streaming service is also surprisingly good. And of course phone streaming is seamless (And I have unlimited data for $42 a month total cell bill via Xfinity).

But I get that some want to retain AM/FM. I recall when aftermarket companies stopped included a CD player in their head units. Took me awhile to digest and accept that change as well.

Pretty interesting development. As a S100D HW2.5 with FSD - It seems I'll get the option to upgrade relatively soon. As with many others, the only concern is the loss of radio... I don't use it often - but do use it to listen to sports when I'm in the car.

Curious - are there other methods to listen to live sports if you don't have a radio? Most streaming services for radio blackout the live sports. I can't believe I'm the only one who still listens to live sports while in the car... What's the solution? Can I purchase a bluetooth radio and link it to the car? Is there a steaming service that includes live sports that I'm missing?

Tuner is available from Tesla to buy.
With XM - Part - 1143711-00-C
without XM - Part -1143703-00-C

Whoever gets the next invitation to upgrade to MCU2, please ask the Service Center if you can purchase the Digital Tuner and have it installed at the same time they are replacing the MCU and AP? Also, please ask how much it costs to purchase the digital turner and the $$ to install it. I don't want to lose my AM/FM radios.

Thanks!

Whoever gets the next invitation to upgrade to MCU2, please ask the Service Center if you can purchase the Digital Tuner and have it installed at the same time they are replacing the MCU and AP? Also, please ask how much it costs to purchase the digital turner and the $$ to install it. I don't want to lose my AM/FM radios.

Thanks!

This.

great idea. Does anyone know if the radio tuner is an inbuilt into the MCU as in soldered onto the same board and integrated beyond separation or is it a separate module that can be plugged in, and the software is there lying dormant in MCU2 just waiting for it to be plugged in ?

This.

great idea. Does anyone know if the radio tuner is an inbuilt into the MCU as in soldered onto the same board and integrated beyond separation or is it a separate module that can be plugged in, and the software is there lying dormant in MCU2 just waiting for it to be plugged in ?

No, it's a separate module that currently lives above your left foot (if you sit on the left when you drive)