Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you know that its not compatible?

Can you point out to us in the Infotainment Upgrade announcement where it says that?

He is right in that IC1 isn't compatible with the MCU2 that is getting put in new vehicles. What we don't know is if the Infotainment Upgrade is going to use the same MCU2 as new cars or if they made a custom one that is compatible with IC1. (For that matter it could be a custom one that doesn't come with a display and the display is moved from your MCU1.)

Did he say that in his posts? I don't remember reading that. I remember somewhere reading that
MCU2 IC will not work with MCU1 - and that's probably not important
MCU1 IC will work with MCU2. Maybe I am wrong. But that's what I remember reading.

I don't really care. When I go for the upgrade, I am pretty sure Tesla techs know what they are doing and the IC in my car will work. So I don't care if its MCU1 IC or MCU2 IC.

Reactions: Gt1948
Did he say that in his posts? I don't remember reading that. I remember somewhere reading that
MCU2 IC will not work with MCU1 - and that's probably not important
MCU1 IC will work with MCU2. Maybe I am wrong. But that's what I remember reading.

I don't really care. When I go for the upgrade, I am pretty sure Tesla techs know what they are doing and the IC in my car will work. So I don't care if its MCU1 IC or MCU2 IC.

Here is one quote

green on Twitter

And the main thread

green on Twitter

But Tesla has never said that the Infotainment Upgrade is going to be a standard MCU2... So does what @verygreen knows/said even apply to this? We just don't know at this point.

it's going to be the same for the obvious reason of why produce something special in a limited run with unknown update rate? Also it does not take old tuners just like current mcu2s don't and so on. It's going to be the same unit.