Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It says dash cam recording will only be there for cars with set driving computer. Does that mean one would need AP3.0 to achieve that? And does that mean one would have to purchase FSD and that EAP won’t do?

My guess is that if you have AP2 you need MCU2/AP3 to get the dashcam functionality.

EAP won't get you the FSD computer, so yeah, you would have to pay the fee to upgrade to FSD.

It says dash cam recording will only be there for cars with set driving computer. Does that mean one would need AP3.0 to achieve that? And does that mean one would have to purchase FSD and that EAP won’t do?
From the webpage: Sentry requires "Full Self-Driving Computer"

FSD computer = HW3 (AP3.0) -- see below.

TjtsI0r.jpg

The MCU is responsible for the main display, all external communications, audio, cellular, navigation, and settings. It has little to do with Autopilot, other than selecting various settings.
There are two versions of the MCU in the S/X:
* MCU1 – using an Nvidia quad-core processor was in all S/X cars made from the start of production to February 2018.
* MCU2 – using an Intel multi-core Atom processor, began shipping in the S/X in March 2018. MCU2 offers slightly snapper operation, WiFi was upgraded to support 5 GHz, the Bluetooth was upgraded with a newer version and additional antennas (external to the MCU2), along with other minor changes.
Autopilot ECU Processor
There are currently four-vehicle hardware variants related to Autopilot.
* HW0 – No autopilot capability
* HW1 – First Autopilot, based on the Mobileye chip. It used a single camera, radar, and 12 medium-range ultrasonic sensors. The electronics are co-located with the camera, behind the rearview mirror.
* HW2.0 – Tesla’s 2nd generation design, using 8 cameras, 12 long-range ultrasonic sensors, and one front radar. An entirely new ECU processor module was created by Tesla, based on Nvidia’s Drive PX2 system. This ECU is located below the glove box.
* HW2.5 – This provides a small update to HW2.0, primarily for redundancy and slightly improved reliability. This version also made possible two non-autopilot features – dashcam and sentry mode with locally saved video.
* HW3 [FSD computer] – A major update to the Autopilot ECU using Tesla’s own chip design.
Above via TeslaTap: Title: Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified
Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified | TeslaTap

If you only have MCU1/AP2.0, likely yes. Reason is that the AP computer is what pulls the data from the cameras. We know AP1 and AP2 can't support it. You need MCU2 and AP 2.5 or above, so EAP would likely not due it if running on an AP2.0 computer, even with MCU2 upgrade.
Well, the folks with AP2.5 and MCU1 who have had dashcam and Sentry Mode for a year would suggest that AP2+ is the issue and not the MCU upgrade, though it’s true they don’t have “all cameras” functionality like AP2+ and MCU2 folks.

Well, the folks with AP2.5 and MCU1 who have had dashcam and Sentry Mode for a year would suggest that AP2+ is the issue and not the MCU upgrade, though it’s true they don’t have “all cameras” functionality like AP2+ and MCU2 folks.
APv1 doesn't have the ability to funnel camera feeds from the windshield or rear-cam. For the windshield, the footage never leaves the Mobile-eye hardware, and for the rear, the MCU is only seeing an SDI input from that camera (no processing that I'm aware).

Did anyone with HW 2.5 and FSD get the upgrade email yet even? I did not.

I have the “Coming Soon” email announcing the availability of the MCU2 upgrade, but not the invitation to actually do the upgrade. I have MCU1, FSD, and AP2.5 so am supposed to be on a priority list, and have not gotten the follow-up notice, nor a notice that they are ready to upgrade my AP2.5 to AP3.

I have the “Coming Soon” email announcing the availability of the MCU2 upgrade, but not the invitation to actually do the upgrade. I have MCU1, FSD, and AP2.5 so am supposed to be on a priority list, and have not gotten the follow-up notice, nor a notice that they are ready to upgrade my AP2.5 to AP3.

Fingers crossed they throw in the towel and decide it’s cheaper to upgrade the MCU’s in all AP2/2.5 vehicles versus the ongoing cost of developing and updating the software for MCU1’s. Maybe that’s the delay!?!? (It’s not, but I want to dream)

Fingers crossed they throw in the towel and decide it’s cheaper to upgrade the MCU’s in all AP2/2.5 vehicles versus the ongoing cost of developing and updating the software for MCU1’s. Maybe that’s the delay!?!? (It’s not, but I want to dream)

But that would leave non-AP/AP1s with MCU1s that would still need supported.

But that would leave non-AP/AP1s with MCU1s that would still need supported.

This. There's still going to be thousands of MCU1 cars (of all flavors) still on the road. Tesla isn't going to just upgrade everyone to retire MCU1. Or they'll EOL MCU1 entirely leaving all those owners twisting in the wind (or pay to upgrade), which I seriously doubt they would do, but hey, anything's possible.

Reactions: StarLog

I don’t believe that AP3 HW upgrade requires MCU2. Tesla has already made their position clear, that they will offer an upgrade to MCU2 for $2500 and will prioritize those with FSD and AP2.5 first, so that you can get the MCU2 upgrade at the same time if you wish. If you do not, all the FSD stuff works fine, you just don’t get the visualization eye candy part which only works on MCU2.

Reactions: captjoemcd
Not quite. At present they have not yet successfully made MCU1 work with AP3 hardware. It was apparently done to one customer car and the car wouldn't work. That is likely solvable with a software change, but at present we know of no cases where MCU1 works with HW33 hardware. We are told that this is an option for those who choose not to pay for the MCU upgrade, but that choice may well mean having to wait months or even years longer than those who do the MCU upgrade to have FSD functionality (whatever that is) while the other version of software is developed.

Not quite. At present they have not yet successfully made MCU1 work with AP3 hardware. It was apparently done to one customer car and the car wouldn't work. That is likely solvable with a software change, but at present we know of no cases where MCU1 works with HW33 hardware. We are told that this is an option for those who choose not to pay for the MCU upgrade, but that choice may well mean having to wait months or even years longer than those who do the MCU upgrade to have FSD functionality (whatever that is) while the other version of software is developed.

Do you have a source for any of this?

I would love to see them give me an MCU2 upgrade for free because it is easier than getting software to work ok with the AP3/MCU1 combination, but I still am skeptical about that being necessary for them.

About your comment “FSD functionality (whatever that is)”, I assume you are being sarcastic, but what it literally means is a list of current AP features that are only enabled if you pay for FSD, plus a list of features promised and yet to be delivered, and that if you have paid for FSD they owe you an upgrade to the AP3 hardware.

• Disagree
Reactions: scottf200
About your comment “FSD functionality (whatever that is)”, I assume you are being sarcastic, but what it literally means is a list of current AP features that are only enabled if you pay for FSD, plus a list of features promised and yet to be delivered

I can see one very good reason for being sarcastic about this;
There are still not anything FSD functionality delivered that wasn't already in EAP.
And the new list of FSD features are different from the original one.

I can see one very good reason for being sarcastic about this;
There are still not anything FSD functionality delivered that wasn't already in EAP.
And the new list of FSD features are different from the original one.

I am not perfectly clear on this, but as I understand it, “Enhanced Autopilot”, often abbreviated as EAP but not to be confused with the “Early Access Program” also abbreviated as EAP, was a option package that predated FSD or perhaps existed alongside it for a while. I purchased my car in Sept 2018 from inventory, it was manufactured in Feb 2018, and I purchased the FSD option. I don’t recall whether EAP (Enhanced Autopilot) was one of my other options.

I also understand that somewhere along the line, Enhanced Autopilot as an option available for purchase disappeared, but remained attached to the cars purchased with that option. And that it includes most of the features released so far under the FSD umbrella, I think “Smart Summon” being an exception. As more FSD features get released, the big one being city AP, the gap should widen.

Am I anywhere close? I assume your car was purchased with EAP? Was FSD an option at that time?

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia
I am not perfectly clear on this, but as I understand it, “Enhanced Autopilot”, often abbreviated as EAP but not to be confused with the “Early Access Program” also abbreviated as EAP, was a option package that predated FSD or perhaps existed alongside it for a while. I purchased my car in Sept 2018 from inventory, it was manufactured in Feb 2018, and I purchased the FSD option. I don’t recall whether EAP (Enhanced Autopilot) was one of my other options.

I also understand that somewhere along the line, Enhanced Autopilot as an option available for purchase disappeared, but remained attached to the cars purchased with that option. And that it includes most of the features released so far under the FSD umbrella, I think “Smart Summon” being an exception. As more FSD features get released, the big one being city AP, the gap should widen.

Am I anywhere close? I assume your car was purchased with EAP? Was FSD an option at that time?

FSD is an option purchased on top of EAP, so your car must have EAP.

Smart summon is part of the EAP package, so your car should be able to do that too.

Smart summon is not part of the current AP package though (which is standard equipment on most vehicles except SR 3).

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
FSD is an option purchased on top of EAP, so your car must have EAP.

Smart summon is part of the EAP package, so your car should be able to do that too.

Smart summon is not part of the current AP package though (which is standard equipment on most vehicles except SR 3).

EAP no longer appears on the website as an option to purchase with the car, and I believe it was removed some time ago. Only one AP option is available now, FSD.