Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got a SMS from my Service Center (Möhlin / Switzerland) telling that they already got instructions and some parts of the material for the HW3 retrofit. But based on the coronavirus situation the remaining materials should be there in about 3 weeks (or more !).

That was very good information, first time it's outside of USA that i know of.
Sounds really good for me in Norway:)

Do you have ap2.0 or ap2.5, and mcu1 or mcu2?

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
I got in touch with the Scottsdale AZ service center folks. They have not yet started doing AP3 upgrades for Model S, with or without MCU2 upgrade, and promised to let me know when.

Has anyone gotten an AP3 upgrade to a Model S via Tesla Mobil service? I have been told that it is feasible, unlike for the M3, because for the Model S there is no liquid coolant component, only fans. The Range/Mobile Service folks don’t do anything that involves liquids.

Thanks for the information about upgrade experiences on this thread - I am all in for paying the $2500 when it is my turn (I paid $3k for FSD when I purchased my Model S, it is a 2018 with AP2.5 and MCU1). I would be happy to sacrifice the AM/FM radio functionality, Tunein radio will be fine.

we have had four cars upgraded and all four had to be done at the dealership. I was told that at least on the M3’s were liquid cooled and must be done at the dealership. Just what I was told on the HW3 computer.

Signatures doesn't show up in the mobile view...
Unless you are actively pushing your nickname to view it, and I consider it useful information on your post for others than me to read inline with the rest of your post also.
They do in landscape mode, at least for iOS. Use it all the time when I want to check someone’s sig. :D

Edit and didn’t see the above post. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: HankLloydRight
Yeah, there seems to be a lot of SC misinformation. As I’ve posted way above, I got the general email, made an appointment the same day for my AP2.5 X with FSD, I didn’t get any ‘personal’ email, it auto-scheduled me an appt two weeks out. They contacted me a few days later say the actual date would depend on the ordered parts showing up (I assume they then order the HW3 computer for my VIN and probably the MCU also) and it all happened on the scheduled date.

No customized invite.

What will happen for AP2.0 and other combos is to be seen of course.

Website still says late March for AP2.
They have 3 days.. unless its late March 2021.
But that is “Tesla March” which we all know means around September in the Gregorian Calendar.
To be fair, this was written and posted well before we were in the midst of this coronavirus stuff, so one has to believe this is going to slip.
Let's get some perspective.
Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS
Xn9PvY4.jpg

When that came out I did wonder if they had the parts needed for AP2.0. Software? Hardware? Is anything needed except software? They are making the HW3 computer work with AP2.0 hardware and that was always a ‘next step’ beyond AP2.5 hardware. Anyone know what would be needed? Was it just a ‘we will do it next because it’s the logical progression’ or was something still needed to be developed, you think?