Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

jorobsand

Nov 12, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Do you have a screen shot of what that looks like?

All I did was send them the link to: Infotainment Upgrade and said that the website says the upgrade was available now for my configuration (AP2.5/MCU1/Pre-purchased FSD). Right after I sent the link they rescheduled my appt for a Service Center visit a month away (4/13) and said that the Service Center would have to comment on if I was eligible for the MCU2 upgrade without AP3 (since according to them I was not eligible for until May).

I immediately rescheduled my Service Center appointment for last Friday, and when the estimate came in, it had the MCU upgrade and AP upgrade all in there. Got it back same day.

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948 and Helmuth

bob_p

Apr 5, 2012
One possibility is that they haven't received the parts they had expected - the supply chain has been disrupted because many items are either manufactured in China or dependent upon critical components coming from China.

Our local service center appears to be operating - we recently received a notice for a recall on our X's Falcon doors and was able to get a mobile service appointment within a few days.

Our S had an appointment (not for the infotainment/FSD upgrades) that was scheduled the day before last week - and that appointment was moved back a few weeks, because they are waiting for parts.

At least for the next few months, we should expect some disruptions - and be pleasantly surprised if anything gets done, until the situation improves...

bollar

Disgruntled Member
May 1, 2013
Southlake, TX
I was thinking with manufacturing stopped, there is actually a substantial supply of MCU2 / AP3 components that were destined for new cars that are now available. Of course they're probably in Fremont, so not available to ship...

Silicon Desert

Oct 1, 2018
Sparks Nevada / GF 1
When I was at my Service Center this past Friday they said it has been as busy as ever. Lots of folks with nothing else to do than take care of some things on their list like getting service items done.
Well, just my opinion, but actually a bit disturbing to me that so many people ignore the best advice to stay at home in order to go get an update that isn't really that important to using the car. They just want the latest greatest think and don't care about the possibility of infecting themselves or others. And yes, they will come up with every excuse in the world as to why they think it is not a problem. Frankly, I would be ok to see Tesla NOT perform any unnecessary upgrades until after this virus situation has settled for awhile.

allhands

Apr 1, 2016
Wisconsin
I don't really care about any specifics of who the source is other than whether it was indeed someone in engineering or not. But who am I kidding, even then it might not tell us for sure that there will be an upgrade offered because they could change plans or scrap the project at any moment. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there will be an upgrade. I think I'd pay $2000-3000 for an upgrade.

Whelp... I was wrong. Scheduled an appointment in the app for one service center and was told they aren't doing upgrades there yet, but I heard from someone in my state's Tesla club that a different service center is starting to do them if you have AP2.5 and FSD. I have a 2017 Model S w/AP2.5 and FSD.

So I made another appointment, made the 160mi drive, and voila! Last Friday I picked er up! My car now has MCU2 and FSD. The difference in performance is night and day! Not to mention all the new cool features. An added bonus is that they replaced the center screen (and I think the cluster screen too?) so the "yellowing border" problem I was having with the center screen was also fixed.

Thank you Tesla for listening to early adopters and offering this upgrade!

Feb 1, 2018
Chantilly VA
Whelp... I was wrong. Scheduled an appointment in the app for one service center and was told they aren't doing upgrades there yet, but I heard from someone in my state's Tesla club that a different service center is starting to do them if you have AP2.5 and FSD. I have a 2017 Model S w/AP2.5 and FSD.

So I made another appointment, made the 160mi drive, and voila! Last Friday I picked er up! My car now has MCU2 and FSD. The difference in performance is night and day! Not to mention all the new cool features. An added bonus is that they replaced the center screen (and I think the cluster screen too?) so the "yellowing border" problem I was having with the center screen was also fixed.

Thank you Tesla for listening to early adopters and offering this upgrade!

Yes they replace both the IC and the center screen. My yellow screen is gone. Are you getting a lot of glare on your new IC? I keep getting glares off of mine.

Is anyone seeing Traffic reports? I'm no longer seeing traffic jambs, but it is a sign of the times with the virus.

Utahken

Mar 18, 2016
Michigan
Yes they replace both the IC and the center screen. My yellow screen is gone. Are you getting a lot of glare on your new IC? I keep getting glares off of mine.

Is anyone seeing Traffic reports? I'm no longer seeing traffic jambs, but it is a sign of the times with the virus.

The other nice thing is that the IC was developing burnin where the speed limit icon was... now it is gone since the screen has been replaced.

allhands

Apr 1, 2016
Wisconsin

Yes now that you mention it, there has been a little bit of glare but I attributed it to being a brand new screen. There seems to be an anti-glare coating on the screens too. It's similar to before and I really only notice it if I'm looking for it.

Trebek1762

Let's play jeopardy
Feb 6, 2018
Wisconsin
Yes now that you mention it, there has been a little bit of glare but I attributed it to being a brand new screen. There seems to be an anti-glare coating on the screens too. It's similar to before and I really only notice it if I'm looking for it.
Where did you have it done? Chicagoland or Eden Prairie?

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC