Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They should be letting any car with a total MCU1 failure "jump the line" and get the upgrade ASAP, since it is clearly possible. Why is that even a debatable priority internally??

I just can't understand why they'd offer this to newer cars first, other than it being yet another example of Tesla putting their oldest customers LAST on every priority list.
My two cents carries no weight. I do agree with you. MCU1 failures should be allowed the option to choose the MCU2 Upgrade - immediately. I am not on social media. Could be that Elon does not know this is an issue and could be/should be an owner's choice - and can't wait. Maybe those of you on social media should share with him?

Reactions: goRt and MIT_S60
Oh and to be clear, I don't know for a fact that plugging in RCCB cameras and updating the gateway will work at all. I suspect it might, and perhaps will try, but I don't know.

I'm getting old and don't remember everything that I have done or read. As I recall though, a couple of months ago, I or we were looking at the parts catalog for cameras. It appeared that there was no difference in part numbers between side repeater cameras be they AP2.0 or AP2.5 versions. Anyone else remember that?

And I was looking at the front camera, the three camera unit on both the parts catalog and on ebay. It does not look like an easy swap. Some sort of windshield/glass adhesive is necessary too. Replacing side repeater cameras would be very easy compared to the front camera. I wonder, if you can't replace the front camera because of degree of difficulty would it be worthwhile to change the side cameras at all?

I'm getting old and don't remember everything that I have done or read. As I recall though, a couple of months ago, I or we were looking at the parts catalog for cameras. It appeared that there was no difference in part numbers between side repeater cameras be they AP2.0 or AP2.5 versions. Anyone else remember that?

And I was looking at the front camera, the three camera unit on both the parts catalog and on ebay. It does not look like an easy swap. Some sort of windshield/glass adhesive is necessary too. Replacing side repeater cameras would be very easy compared to the front camera. I wonder, if you can't replace the front camera because of degree of difficulty would it be worthwhile to change the side cameras at all?
All cameras on 2.0 (except from backup cam) are indeed different on 2.5/3.0 vs 2.0. How easy to replace, I am not sure. If one were to swap them from RCCC to RCCB units, all cameras would need to be swapped out uniformly (again, not backup cam - that can be left alone).

For those of you attempting what @Akikiki is doing by physically installing a tuner and hoping to convince Tesla Service to change your car configuration to enable it (who knows if they even will or can - Toolbox may not even allow them to try), you could say something like this:

I would say :

Dear Tesla Technician -

I know that my MCU2 retrofit means that I will lose AM/FM/XM radio because part of the retrofit process does NOT include replacing the old analog tuner (for mcu1) with the new digital tuner (for mcu2).

However, I have replaced the tuner myself, and all the wiring is completed. I've even routed the single cable to the rear of the MCU so you can plug it I to mcu2 once your retrofit is complete.

However, mcu2 will not provision the new tuner unless you enable it in the gateway's internals.dat car configuration. It's my understanding that all that needs to happen is to change "ethernettunertype 1" to "ethernettunertype 0" (or just removing that line entirely" in the gateway and it'll start to work.

Would you mind doing this while Toolbox is connected?

Thank you

Has anyone here gotten the "info" upgrade from their HW 2.0?

I keep thinking my 2.0 Model S is part of the "Death List". Tesla waiting for 1.Me to die OR 2. Car to be totaled or 3. Car gets stolen/goes out of service for any other reason. I am getting information that Tesla is not wanting to do either the free retrofit for 2.0 FSD buyers OR do the $2500 upgrade for 2.0.

I think it has more to do with a slowdown for SIP, - not a "not wanting to" And if the part center at Tesla is on slowdown, then they are also slow to get the kits out. My SC told me that they are not permitted to "have a kit" in stock sitting on the shelf. They have to order it and push the upgrade date out so the parts are on site. That sounds like a supply issue, not - don't want to.

@Mobster - you know don't you? I got my upgrade. Happy as I can be too about it.

Thanks for keeping us posted. I signed up from inside the app, and then got a confirmation including a work order/invoice, then, unfortunately a few days later I got “the call“ saying that they forgot to check my configuration and I would not be able to get my upgrade on my MCU1-HW2 Car.

upload_2020-4-30_10-3-49.png

Text between my mobile service tech
seems promising... not sure, xm/fm tuner ordered.

Thanks for keeping us posted. I signed up from inside the app, and then got a confirmation including a work order/invoice, then, unfortunately a few days later I got “the call“ saying that they forgot to check my configuration and I would not be able to get my upgrade on my MCU1-HW2 Car.

My service center people said "You are not eligible". I asked what that meant and they said Tesla has NOT figured out how to get HW 2.0 to 3.0. Other posts here indicate now CAMERAS must be replaced. (to get progress to FSD paid for). Confusing and stressful. I pressed pretty hard on what "not eligible" and "not able" meant to get to the point where they claimed they do not know how yet.

For those of you attempting what @Akikiki is doing by physically installing a tuner and hoping to convince Tesla Service to change your car configuration to enable it (who knows if they even will or can - Toolbox may not even allow them to try), you could say something like this:

I would say :

Dear Tesla Technician -

I know that my MCU2 retrofit means that I will lose AM/FM/XM radio because part of the retrofit process does NOT include replacing the old analog tuner (for mcu1) with the new digital tuner (for mcu2).

However, I have replaced the tuner myself, and all the wiring is completed. I've even routed the single cable to the rear of the MCU so you can plug it I to mcu2 once your retrofit is complete.

However, mcu2 will not provision the new tuner unless you enable it in the gateway's internals.dat car configuration. It's my understanding that all that needs to happen is to change "ethernettunertype 1" to "ethernettunertype 0" (or just removing that line entirely" in the gateway and it'll start to work.

Would you mind doing this while Toolbox is connected?

Thank you
I don't have a tuner to install at this point but I am wondering if they could make this change whether or not you have one installed. If they would make this change during the swap of MCU then whenever I got one to install then it would be already setup. Or does this line of code require something to be installed?

I don't have a tuner to install at this point but I am wondering if they could make this change whether or not you have one installed. If they would make this change during the swap of MCU then whenever I got one to install then it would be already setup. Or does this line of code require something to be installed?
Software updates/deployments will fail if the new mcu2 tuner is “enabled” but isn’t connected. Don’t do this.

Ive read through much of the thread but still have a question that I hope someone can answer:
2017 90D with MCU1, HW2, and EAP.

Within my Tesla app, it offers upgrade to FSD for $4k usd.

My question: Does the $4k total include MCU2 and HW3 combined?

Nope. Those are 2 different upgrades. The former (MCU1 TO MCU2) has just been announced 1.5 month ago at $2500 while the latter is about autopilot FSD. since you already have EAP, you have a discounted price.