Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, cool, I actually got accepted for the upgrade(no email received at all, not even any notification any kind of upgrade was coming). Shows up a charge of $195 for labor(and $0.20 for some nuts); did we decide that’s normal?

View attachment 540821

Note: this is a Dec 2016 AP2.0 car.

As an owner of the same config still on the fence whether it is worth the money, mind sharing your experience pre/post upgrade? My car is a little over 3 years old and already over 60k miles.

I'm scheduled for a FSD v3 computer upgrade this Friday. No news yet on availability of MCU2 upgrades in my area.

Yes. I don’t want to lose my AM/FM radio. When my MCU 1 dies, I’ll upgrade, but not before.
It will be interesting if they do the upgrade (just FSD HW 3.0, no MCU upgrade) and it works. If so, I believe you will be the first car where Tesla has done that. I do recall that when HW 3.0 AP came out, an MCU1 car got the upgrade, but then it did not work and they had to revert him back to HW 2.0 (or 2.5, can't remember) and it was all documented on his Youtube channel. We do know that @verygreen has made it work with an MCU1, but I don't know of any car where Tesla has done the upgrade and it worked.

Please keep us informed on how it goes...it appears you are blazing the trail for many who don't want to do/pay for the MCU1 -> upgrade!

Received a confirmation today for Westmont IL towards end of the month.

July 2017 X100D _|_ Booked my MCU1->MCU2 upgrade ($2500) and AP2.0->FSD upgrade (prepaid Dec18).
Text: We are able to perform your infotainment upgrade. We have moved your appointment to the Westmont service center as the upgrade is not mobile capable. We will order the parts today and they should arrive in time for your appointment on May 26th. If the parts are delayed for any reason, we will reach out prior to your appointment to reschedule.

On Friday after seeing the "scheduling now" went up on the infotainment page for AP2.0 with FSD I put in a service request. They told me "At this time it has not been fully released for your vehicle. You will be contacted to schedule once it has been released."

May 2017 S75 with MCU1.
What option did you select in the app? We originally selected Other - Something else and got a message the next business day saying it wasn't our time yet and that they would contact us. They didn't cancel the appointment so I changed it to Accessories - Upgrades & Installations and the next business day, they said they could do it. Our appointment is scheduled for later this week...

What option did you select in the app? We originally selected Other - Something else and got a message the next business day saying it wasn't our time yet. They didn't cancel the appointment so I changed it to Accessories - Upgrades & Installations and the next business day, they said they could do it.

Interesting, I chose Interior - Touchscreen. Might try again with the Upgrades & Installations option...wasn't aware of that one. Though may give it another week or so...feel like I'm being pushy. Thanks!

FYI, I picked 'other' on the mobile app when I did mine.
Interesting, I chose Interior - Touchscreen. Might try again with the Upgrades & Installations option...wasn't aware of that one. Though may give it another week or so...feel like I'm being pushy. Thanks!
Totally get the pushy remark but I also figured they could use the revenue. Plus they updated the website intentionally and I booked toward the end of the month (ie. time to get parts plus more experience in them hopefully doing upgrades before mine!).
On Friday after seeing the "scheduling now" went up on the infotainment page for AP2.0 with FSD I put in a service request. They told me "At this time it has not been fully released for your vehicle. You will be contacted to schedule once it has been released."

May 2017 S75 with MCU1.
FYI, I initially got that response as well. I went back with these two and then it was confirmed ... I'm guessing they called the service center as I requested. I just assumed if others around the country could get it done that I could *and* that there was enough experience with the 'kits' to show that it is a solid upgrade.
Thx. Looks like it is being scheduled now per this site and I see various people online getting confirmation from their service center that they are ordering parts and booking the service? Did you check with Westmont service center? Infotainment Upgrade
Here is an example of one posted today from today (MCU1->2 and AP2.0 to FSD3.0). Can you check with Westmont IL service center please. Thanks much! [attached image]

Any 2016’s in CA told they are eligible for either HW3 or the MCU2 upgrade? I’ve tried to schedule it a few times but keep getting told it’s not available yet and to stop scheduling appointments.

Perhaps they're waiting for a sticker to notify us that this upgrade contains chemicals known to the state of CA to cause cancer. o_O

May 2017 S75 with MCU1.

I'm guessing we tried the same service center. (Burbank). That was my response for my January 2017 90d.

And, I didn't want to be too pushy either. I just replied to the text noting that the website said they were scheduling. (I received no response back).

I figure I'll try again this Friday.

May 2017 S75 with MCU1.
This might be a dumb question, but when you say “infotainment page” are you talking about in car? Or one on Tesla’s website?

I'm guessing we tried the same service center. (Burbank). That was my response for my January 2017 90d.

Ya, well can't choose a center since it's all Mobile until directed otherwise but Burbank is the SC I normally go to. In the spot where you can submit photos I sent this screenshot and still got that response.

image001.jpg

I went ahead and scheduled appointment for HW2 to HW3 upgrade as well as MCU2 upgrade. Got a text back saying they are still waiting for the HW2 to 3 upgrade package which includes new exterior cameras but I can still do the MCU2 upgrade if I want. I declined as I just want it all done at one time.

Has anyone else been told the cameras would be replaced? I have not seen that mentioned anywhere else but it would be nice to have new cameras for dashcam/sentry mode.

I went ahead and scheduled appointment for HW2 to HW3 upgrade as well as MCU2 upgrade. Got a text back saying they are still waiting for the HW2 to 3 upgrade package which includes new exterior cameras but I can still do the MCU2 upgrade if I want. I declined as I just want it all done at one time.

Has anyone else been told the cameras would be replaced? I have not seen that mentioned anywhere else but it would be nice to have new cameras for dashcam/sentry mode.

I was told they haven't figured out the exact HW2 to 3 process yet and had figured out MCU2 but needed some parts. Hence why I was offered potentially HW2 and MCU2 until HW3 was available.

They then failed at MCU2 and so I'm wondering what about MCU2 was any harder than MCU1 other than replacement of the IC.