Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had an appt for May 14, but:
"Unfortunately we have not received the 3.0 and infotainment upgrade hardware yet for your vehicle configuration. Due to COVID-19 we do not have an ETA, but anticipate seeing them within the next couple of months or so. "

March 2017 Model X.

A couple of months? Noooo...

That would be a real issue if it's not just computer swap. Cameras are unnecessary as compared to other hardware deviations.

You are right @croman. Tesla even started this on its Infotainment Upgrade website on the "Security" column of features, and I quote: DashCam and Sentry "...recordings may vary in color or tone based on your camera suite".

Additionally, @Akikiki's Model S has AP2.0 cameras and they are working perfectly with AP3.0 (FSD) and MCU2.

@HankLloydRight , have you tried this BT transmitter to confirm it works? I saw various transmitters tested in the Model 3 forum and the testers found that none would pair in TX mode and some would pair in RX mode. The assumption was there was a bug on Tesla's side.

Another comment said the XM receiver with BT transmitter works, so there is at least some notion that it's possible to make a transmitter that works.

I have not tested it. But I would be surprised if they didn't pair in TX mode. I might just buy one to test and report back "for science" (that is, for the remaining people who actually believe in science. :rolleyes:)

Reactions: bollar
Perhaps they're waiting for a sticker to notify us that this upgrade contains chemicals known to the state of CA to cause cancer. o_O
Or did California just discover that the stickers also contain chemicals known to the state to cause cancer, so they are waiting for stickers for stickers for sticker for stickers.... causing stack overflow and a crash of the California Department of Warnings. :p

You are right @croman. Tesla even started this on its Infotainment Upgrade website on the "Security" column of features, and I quote: DashCam and Sentry "...recordings may vary in color or tone based on your camera suite".

Additionally, @Akikiki's Model S has AP2.0 cameras and they are working perfectly with AP3.0 (FSD) and MCU2.
RCCC cameras work perfectly on my hw2.0 car with ape3(FSD) too.

So looks like after the wait is over ANY Model S and Model X no matter how old?
Oh yea, "after the wait is over" is the key here. We are still waiting for ability to upgrade HV batteries - we know it's technically possible, the hackers have done it, but it's only been 5 years since Elon said that's going to be available to owners, so I guess the wait is still not over for that one. There are many other things for which "then wait is not over", so this will just be another one of those things.

In this case, Tesla has no less incentive to upgrade non-FSD cars to MCU2 than they have to allow a customers to buy new batteries, since there is more profit in the latter and the effort involved should be much less since as you may remember, all our cars are designed (and Elon showed it working on stage) to have batteries swapped out faster than you can fill up a gas tank at a gas station - Tesla designed no such technology for a 5 minute MCU swap. Oh, and the battery swap station (beyond the one they built and shut down since) is another thing the wait is still not over, but it's only been 7 years, so customer should be patient. :p

Last edited:
RCCC cameras work perfectly on my hw2.0 car with ape3(FSD) too.

That's great to hear. I'm currently confirmed for next week Infotainment upgrade with HW3 retrofit on my MX (MCU1+AP2.0). I was planning on putting in the digital tuner prior to the tesla visit but thinking about forgoing that plan since the chances of success are slim from Tesla techs plugin the extra cable and re-initiating the firmware/software.

Now I'm curious if I need to start thinking about upgrading the cameras (RCCC->RCCB) if that would reap any added benefits in the FSD functionality delta. How has your experience been with the current camera suite in your car? Any thoughts when you'd start your camera suite upgrade? Thanks!

Reactions: Akikiki
Now I'm curious if I need to start thinking about upgrading the cameras (RCCC->RCCB) if that would reap any added benefits in the FSD functionality delta. How has your experience been with the current camera suite in your car? Any thoughts when you'd start your camera suite upgrade? Thanks!

You'd have the same problem with this as the tuner. It won't work unless you get Tesla to change the configuration file to match the new hardware configuration.

That's great to hear. I'm currently confirmed for next week Infotainment upgrade with HW3 retrofit on my MX (MCU1+AP2.0). I was planning on putting in the digital tuner prior to the tesla visit but thinking about forgoing that plan since the chances of success are slim from Tesla techs plugin the extra cable and re-initiating the firmware/software.

Don’t - it won’t work. You can’t change camera types nor add tuner without modifying the gateway car configuration, which requires root. It won’t just start working on its own(no amount of software reinstalling or redeployment will help).

Well, to be fair, a high % of posts here are baseless speculation. Including mine :)

More that it was baseless because we already know FSD was designed with RCCC in mind because it is an option to configure the gateway with HW3 per @kdday so it seemed especially baseless... But I also am also clueless and rely on information from more knowledgeable folks.

Just tried to schedule FSD3 upgrade without MCU2 upgrade in SF/Bay Area. Service sent a text back that they, nor any service center in the Bay Area, currently have FSD3 parts right now and I am now on a “list”

I wrote back and asked if it’s possible to get FSD3 upgrade with paid MCU2 upgrade and have not heard back...