Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the same boat as you. no way it's worth the 6500. I'm waiting to get my upgraded emmc back that will have read/write speeds 10-20x faster than the baseline hynix memory. To me it was better money spent (500 vs 6500), plus I get to keep my LH Amp. Whitex has said the emmc upgrade makes it fast enough to not need the MCU2 upgrade. I'll be sure to throw my 2 cents in when I get it re-installed later this week.

Don't buy into the FSD price increase....by the time it's actual FSD, you'll need / want a new car.
Mind telling me who you went through for the upgrade?
I was debating it. So you paid $500 it seems. So I would have to spend 2k more for the mcu 2. Debating what to do.

My car is getting super slow versus when I first got it it in Dec 2016.

That is a very good reminder to take several pictures of the area (trim, steering, etc) that will be worked on. Never thought of the steering wheel but will add that to my locations to photograph.

All done and it is fantastic!
I'm nervous about the trim too. About a year ago they replaced my screen due to the yellow band. The trim wasn't put back on right, the screen was tilted, and they cut the leather on my steering wheel. I rejected the repair so they kept it a few more days to do it right including replacing the steering wheel. I don't mind mistakes if folks fix them. Otherwise Tyson's has been great to work with and I'm sure this time it's either right or they will make it right. Either way, I'm driving an S 85 loaner with nowhere to go.

All done and it is fantastic! Tyson's Corner SC in Virginia finished my upgrade yesterday. Charged my card on file when I picked it up and I was on my way. The trim and everything install related is perfect. My firmware was downgraded to 2020.12.x but upgraded back to 2020.16.x overnight. I had to re-enter my WIFI password and re-do the garage door opener profile but that isn't a big deal. Overall I am very happy with the responsiveness of the screen. There is a lot of road construction going near me so I find the new cones on the display very distracting, but I'm sure I'll learn to ignore that.

Good luck to everyone trying to get an appointment! You won't regret it.

Mind telling me who you went through for the upgrade?
I was debating it. So you paid $500 it seems. So I would have to spend 2k more for the mcu 2. Debating what to do.

My car is getting super slow versus when I first got it it in Dec 2016.

$500 for eMMC vs $2500 for new MCU AND IC though. I think MCU and IC is much better value. You get a new computer with warranty, all the new features, and a much faster UI (which eMMC won’t fix on MCU 1). Also, I know not a lot of people talk about this, but finally having the ability to do 5 GHz WiFi is also big deal for me.

$500 for eMMC vs $2500 for new MCU AND IC though. I think MCU and IC is much better value. You get a new computer with warranty, all the new features, and a much faster UI (which eMMC won’t fix on MCU 1). Also, I know not a lot of people talk about this, but finally having the ability to do 5 GHz WiFi is also big deal for me.

I used to think this. Now as my car is nearing 49k miles, I realized I'd rather put the money towards an X-care extended warranty. I can get 6 more years of coverage to about 125k miles for about 5k. For me I plan on keeping my car a while and I know the MCU1 is a ticking time bomb. I probably have about 25% or less of life left on it. Let's say thats $2500 to replace when MCU1 dies, that leaves me 2500 in repair costs to make it worth it. I expect air suspension and door handles will fail on my S. I'm thinking eventually Tesla will just upgrade all failed MCU1s for MCU2 after a couple years anyway when stock for MCU1 dwindles.

Anyone updated AP2.0/MCU1 to AP3/MCU2 in Boston area (Watertown/Dedham/Peabody) yet?

Asking as I have an appointment in 2 weeks, but wanted to check how likely is it to get cancelled..

Watertown, two weeks ago.
Took about four scheduling attempts this sping, tried every two weeks.
Accepted appointment date was delayed for parts (MCU2) acquisition once, for about two weeks.
If they accepted your appointment, you should be good to go.

Quick update, my X is still at the Service Center. They installed MCU2+AP3 but are having firmware issues. They have escalated to Engineering and should hear back later today.

Happy to be in a 100D loaner so I’d rather they take their time and get it right.

That happened to me and they ripped out the new hardware and reinstalled my AP2 and a new MCU1. Hopefully Engineering is better at helping than they were 2 weeks ago.

I used to think this. Now as my car is nearing 49k miles, I realized I'd rather put the money towards an X-care extended warranty. I can get 6 more years of coverage to about 125k miles for about 5k. For me I plan on keeping my car a while and I know the MCU1 is a ticking time bomb. I probably have about 25% or less of life left on it. Let's say thats $2500 to replace when MCU1 dies, that leaves me 2500 in repair costs to make it worth it. I expect air suspension and door handles will fail on my S. I'm thinking eventually Tesla will just upgrade all failed MCU1s for MCU2 after a couple years anyway when stock for MCU1 dwindles.

Logical but you wait for a failure at a time of not your choosing and speculate MCU2 will be free. You could very well get a refurbed MCU1 that was somebody's who upgraded/failed.

Reactions: Akikiki

Funny thing, I’m using the exact logic for why I’m upgrading. My car has around 43k miles and we’ll be hitting 50k miles in the next 2 months. We decided a while ago that we’ll plan on driving this car for as long as possible so we find it easier to spend some money on upgrades like the MCU because it provides better functionality for a long time and it will last longer.

Think about it this way, if you get MCU2 now, you get to enjoy it longer. As opposed to if you get it at lets say 90k miles when MCU1 fails.

I’m also getting the X-Care warranty for 125k miles (plus free additional 25k miles for a total of 150k miles with the MCU2 upgrade). Getting both may be overkill but I’m willing to pay for the piece of mind for the rest of the components.

Anybody had MCU2/HW3 upgrades done by Scottsdale SvC yet?

May 12:

"Good Morning ******* - this is Tesla Service. We are reviewing your upcoming appointment and wanted to reach out for clarification. Unfortunately we have not received the 3.0 and infotainment upgrade hardware yet for your vehicle configuration. Due to COVID-19 we do not have an ETA, but anticipate seeing them within the next couple of months or so. Since we do not see a need for a service appointment at this time, with your permission we would like to go ahead and cancel this visit. Please reply here with approval to cancel at your earliest convenience. Thank you and have a great rest of your day!"

ETA: That's for the X, 3/2017 MCU1/AP2.0, Scottsdale Service Center.

I've worked with both the Torrance, CA and Buena Park, CA SCs to get my AP2 MCU1 upgrade to MCU2 upgrade scheduled. The first estimate I had was wrong (listed AP2.5). The second estimate was correct, but I'd save 2% sales tax by doing it in Orange rather than LA county. So I switched to Buena Park and got another wrong estimate (it included labor). Finally got a fourth estimate and am being told that it will take 4 weeks for the part to come into stock.

This hasn't been a problem-free experience thus far. I'm curious how the experience for @spentan goes. I'd be happy to switch to the Costa Mesa service center if his experience turns out to be a good one.

Thanks for sharing information everyone.