Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
eJonny - How did you select which Service Center you wanted?
When I try using the Tesla phone app, it tells me to enter my address (for the default Home Service) & if what I want done (HW2.5 to HW3 only) can't be done at home, THEN it will go to a SC.
How did you pick a SC without dealing with an at home service?

Quick update, my X is still at the Service Center. They installed MCU2+AP3 but are having firmware issues. They have escalated to Engineering and should hear back later today.

Happy to be in a 100D loaner so I’d rather they take their time and get it right.

They're keeping it one more day. Something about the Nav having issues. Let's see what happens tomorrow. As mentioned I am happy in X100D Loaner :) so I am not complaining at all.

I've worked with both the Torrance, CA and Buena Park, CA SCs to get my AP2 MCU1 upgrade to MCU2 upgrade scheduled. The first estimate I had was wrong (listed AP2.5). The second estimate was correct, but I'd save 2% sales tax by doing it in Orange rather than LA county. So I switched to Buena Park and got another wrong estimate (it included labor). Finally got a fourth estimate and am being told that it will take 4 weeks for the part to come into stock.

This hasn't been a problem-free experience thus far. I'm curious how the experience for @spentan goes. I'd be happy to switch to the Costa Mesa service center if his experience turns out to be a good one.

Thanks for sharing information everyone.
I’ve only used the Costa Mesa service center since I’ve had my car, but when I tried to get the upgrade after being denied a few times I was told it had been scheduled at Buena Park. Then I was told they wouldn’t have parts until first week of July. I’m not sure why I was switched from Costa Mesa to Buena Park, I’m also perfectly equal in distances from both, but have heard some negatives about Buena Park so I chose costa Mesa in the past.

eJonny - How did you select which Service Center you wanted?
When I try using the Tesla phone app, it tells me to enter my address (for the default Home Service) & if what I want done (HW2.5 to HW3 only) can't be done at home, THEN it will go to a SC.
How did you pick a SC without dealing with an at home service?

I originally scheduled the upgrade through the app and the app even routed me to mobile service. After a day, mobile service texted me indicating that they couldn't provide the service, so they routed me to the Torrance service center. After that, you can go into the app and edit the service center assigned to the service issue.

They're keeping it one more day. Something about the Nav having issues. Let's see what happens tomorrow. As mentioned I am happy in X100D Loaner :) so I am not complaining at all.

Please keep us updated. Good to know that Costa Mesa still has loaners. My car was originally delivered to the Costa Mesa service center. They are a good shop. I've been to Buena Park a few times and service there has been hit or miss.

I’ve only used the Costa Mesa service center since I’ve had my car, but when I tried to get the upgrade after being denied a few times I was told it had been scheduled at Buena Park. Then I was told they wouldn’t have parts until first week of July. I’m not sure why I was switched from Costa Mesa to Buena Park, I’m also perfectly equal in distances from both, but have heard some negatives about Buena Park so I chose costa Mesa in the past.

I've had so/so service from Buena Park. Have you approved your service estimate? Did you get an ETA for parts? Are you also doing a AP2/MCU1 upgrade?

I've worked with both the Torrance, CA and Buena Park, CA SCs to get my AP2 MCU1 upgrade to MCU2 upgrade scheduled. The first estimate I had was wrong (listed AP2.5). The second estimate was correct, but I'd save 2% sales tax by doing it in Orange rather than LA county. So I switched to Buena Park and got another wrong estimate (it included labor). Finally got a fourth estimate and am being told that it will take 4 weeks for the part to come into stock.

This hasn't been a problem-free experience thus far. I'm curious how the experience for @spentan goes. I'd be happy to switch to the Costa Mesa service center if his experience turns out to be a good one.

Thanks for sharing information everyone.
I had an appointment scheduled last week for Buena Park, but they pushed it to the middle of June due to parts availability. They still haven't actually sent me an invoice estimate. I tried texting them this week to see if there was an update on the parts availability (hoping I could move up the appointment if the parts got in), but they haven't responded yet.

I originally scheduled the upgrade through the app and the app even routed me to mobile service. After a day, mobile service texted me indicating that they couldn't provide the service, so they routed me to the Torrance service center. After that, you can go into the app and edit the service center assigned to the service issue.

Thanks. Pretty much the same scenario (via the phone app) as I went thru, except I never got routed to a different SC. Just the text indicating I would be scheduled some time in the future.

I've had so/so service from Buena Park. Have you approved your service estimate? Did you get an ETA for parts? Are you also doing a AP2/MCU1 upgrade?
Everything is still showing in the “preparation” stage. I have a Dec 16 car. Getting the MCU2 and HW3 update. I was supposed to go in on May 19 originally, then 3 days before the appointment they postponed to July 3. I had to reschedule to July 6 due to work. I’ve texted them 3 times asking on the status of the parts to no avail. And now I need to schedule another appointment(they replaced my drivers door handle, but the replacement sits flush to the body instead of inset like the other handles and I need that fixed) but not sure how because it won’t allow me to in the app.

I got it postponed my appointment 3rd time since end of March. First to the end of April then May. Now to the mid June. I have FSD and the HW3 is ready message came to the app. Also I saw an email about it being ordered. I crated the original appointment for MCU2 , I have FSD and HW 2.5. They told me no ETA but hope to have it by mid June. This is Miramar, San Diego SC.

I had my MCU1 -> MCU2 and HW2.5 -> HW3 upgrade scheduled for 5/11, then it was pushed back to 5/18, 5/26, 5/28, due to parts shipment delays. Then yesterday they notified me that it’s being rescheduled again, for 6/11. Another 2-week delay. No explanation given. :(
Never got any cost estimate either.

Last edited:
Just got the notice that my vehicle is ready. Likely picking it up in the next hour or so. Super Excited for MCU2 and AP3.0

just picked It up. So far, super snappy! Cameras were at about 90% calibration but with a 30 mi drive, they’re now fully calibrated.

will make some videos over the next couple days and advise

So... I assume those that have successfully upgraded have actually paid for the upgrade, right? Ever since picking up the car, the Tesla App has been stick at "Ready for Pickup" and "We're preparing your final invoice". I walked up to a member of the Watertown Tesla service center before going to my car to share this fact, and they said it should resolve "soon". So, over a day later, I'm enjoying the upgrade and have yet to be able to pay for it. :) I'll try to contact them eventually about this of course... not that they make it easy to do these days.

IMG_1578.PNG

IMG_1579.PNG

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911