Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have MCU1/AP2. I made an appointment for infotainment/FSD last week for June 9. I just had it moved to June 23 and approved the invoice. Only strange thing was a "minimum labor charge" of $39. Is that normal? I'm not sure it is worth arguing. I'm crossing my fingers they will have the parts needed for my appointment in 3 weeks.

Can Infotainment + FSD upgrades be done via mobile service? I have received the email for FSD and have decided I want to Infotainment upgrade as well.

I believe the HW3/FSD upgrade can be done at home, but the Infotainment Upgrade (MCU1 to MCU2) is done at a service center.
But, I have read some service centers requite the FSD/HW3 upgrade to be done at their service center (but not all).

• Informative
Reactions: 1speed
Also i get this line on the right side in youtube. Pretty annoying. Its like the screen shifted

Attachments

• 20200603_215714.jpg
    20200603_215714.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 93
I have MCU1/AP2. I made an appointment for infotainment/FSD last week for June 9. I just had it moved to June 23 and approved the invoice. Only strange thing was a "minimum labor charge" of $39. Is that normal? I'm not sure it is worth arguing. I'm crossing my fingers they will have the parts needed for my appointment in 3 weeks.

No labor. Should be 0.00.

Hey everybody - I ordered the FSD computer installed in my 2017 S and thought I would be paying $2500 and getting the MCU swap as well. But they only swapped the HW 2.0 to FSD. $0 charge. Of course I'm happy to have kept my money, and glad to have FM, but what's the skinny on what I can expect from the car? Why were they recommending the MCU change originally?
I didn't know it was an option not to have that done. Thx

Is there another thread about people trying to do the MCU1 -> MCU2 swap and getting Tesla to do the FM&XM radio provisioning? I saw the thread where someone hacked it together themselves, but I want to retain FM and XM (even if I have to pay Tesla additional).
Yes here (TD;LR it did not work out. Tesla will not do it.): Honolulu SC just completed my MCU2 Upgrade

Damn, it seems that the upgrade is still not available outside US... I went to the service center asking them to take my money, and they weren’t even aware of the thing.
FSD/HW3 is already available in Europe (at least in Switzerland !). I have an appointment on the 18th of June for FSD/HW3 upgrade confirmed and may be MCU2 upgrade as well (to be confirmed). Model S 12/2017 (HW2.5 / FSD).

that was before the wiring diagram existed or people started selling the needed cables. I plan on trying this, was curious if anyone else was as well.
That physical wiring wasn't the problem tho so you point doesn't make any sense as far as I can tell. It needs to be configured.

FM/XM Radio for the MCU2 Upgrade | TeslaTap
However, MCU2 does not provision the new tuner unless you enable it in the gateway’s internals.dat car configuration. It’s my understanding that all that needs to happen is to change ethernettunertype 1 to ethernettunertype 0 or you could removing that line entirely in the gateway and it’ll start to work.

Reactions: Akikiki
Can Infotainment + FSD upgrades be done via mobile service? I have received the email for FSD and have decided I want to Infotainment upgrade as well.

I was told today by the service center in KCMO that they are currently not doing AP upgrades via mobile service after having a bunch of failures. Must have changed in the last week because they were at my house last week attempting to upgrade mine (missing backup camera cable) and told me attempt #2 will have to be done at the SC.

Asked to just add the MCU2 upgrade into same appointment and now waiting on that part.

• Helpful
Reactions: 1speed