Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Art, I've seen a picture of it. It comes with wings to reach the mounting frame that Tuner1 and Tuner1's holes match.

I bought a Model 3 FM Tuner on ebay for less than $100. It uses just on antenna connection. So Teslatap found for me a cable on Amazon that un-splits the two to one Fakra antenna connection.

Awesome. Thanks @Akikiki!

I'm debating where to get my Tuner2 from, especially now that my Tuner1 is out of the car.

I fear Tesla is just going to sell me the tuner by itself and I might end up having to build the mounting bracket myself, (which I don't want to do). The other option is to source a Tuner2 from a wrecked Model S with MCU2 for less money, hoping the Tuner didn't get damaged on the accident or the removal process. Personally, I rather pay Tesla a bit more for the Tuner2 (considering it does come with its mounting bracket) than risk a bit more through the wrecked Model S route.

Decisions, decisions...

@Art_Vandelay - Not sure about your specific case, but if you did the MCU1-MCU2 upgrade, the old tuner is not out of your car. It is just no longer connected the MCU. When doing the MCU upgrade, Tesla doesn't even touch that part of the dashboard....they just disconnect all the wires, swap out the MCU and reconnect the wires that connect uo (leaving the analog Tuner wires disconnected.

S85D. I did. Three weeks after my MCU2 Upgrade, I had the M3 Tuner2 in, and connected. Teslatap made me a Ethernet twisted pair cable from Tuner2 to the MCU2 digital interface port. I removed my own MCU and connected it. Took the car down to the SC where I know the manager. She came out and I began to explain what I wanted/would pay for it. I didn't have to explain. They knew already. She said, Corporate knew of my effort, and had already decided no.

Art, my M3 Tuner2 did not have the wings. I found a simple method for mounting it in two places. One was an existing hole and an M3 existing tab. Then will a simple piece of metal stripping, attached it on a M3 Tuner2 side tab. See picture.
Tuner2 under dash 2.JPG

I'm definitely a data point for FSD computer upgrade hastening the MCU1 eMMC failing. Mine hadn't failed, but boy, it sure slowed down significantly and began crashing. I know it was on the fritz before the upgrade because it was literally taking 3-5 minutes just to reboot my MCU, and when they upgraded my firmware it failed a few times. I was also starting to get firmware failures prior to the upgrade... so I'm suspecting that it was on it's last leg. The final straw was the MCU going black on a drive the other day and it literally took 15 minutes for it to come back up.

I believe @TonyT has said that a firmware update (which is loaded alongside the hardware upgrade) doesn't cause it to go bad, but due to the massive eMMC access (read/write) it can certainly hasten the demise of it.

Correct, the issue is not the firmware. The issue is writing a lot of data on a bad failing chip is a bad idea. Continuing to use a bad failing chip is a bad idea. The old out of warranty eMMC's really should be replaced as soon as issues are noticed. Even if no issues many owners have reported in performance increase.

To expand on getting the afore mentioned hard core experts here (including Ingineer) to configure your gateway for the new tuner, my understanding is that getting root on the new firmware is tough. I am curious as to whether it can be done with physical access and/or desoldering the eMMC by a broader group.

I am also curious about whether the gateway changes survive a firmware update, and if you do the update yourself like kdday (and hence never had a tuner disabled config line) whether it would survive better. And finally, even if it survives firmware updates, under what other situations might the gateway configuration be re-updated from Tesla corporate.

Tesla has removed FSD from some cars due to audit. Any feature not sold from Tesla can be removed by them. Then it's up to the owner to fight them and get it back. This is living with a car that is not in your total ownership. Tesla is always connected....

Art, have you talked to the SC to see if they will plug in the digital FM Tuner cable and change the configuration so that the FM Tuner will work?

I have not. That is another reason why I might not buy the Tuner2 from Tesla. It may be easier to source it myself and just try to convince the tech guy/gal working on my car to enable the setting, than to purchase the tuner from Tesla, which would involve the parts guy, the service advisor, the tech, the receptionist, the policeman at the entrance, the building maintenance team, the landlord, the Uber credits dispatcher, the man who sweeps the floors, and especially the guy that just pressure washes the loaners. All of them are the weakest links in the equation to get my FM/XM radio working after my MCU2 upgrade.

Art, my M3 Tuner2 did not have the wings. I found a simple method for mounting it in two places. One was an existing hole and an M3 existing tab. Then will a simple piece of metal stripping, attached it on a M3 Tuner2 side tab. S

Thanks @Akikiki. That picture gave me a great sense of the size and orientation of the Tuner2 with regards to the Tuner1 bracket. You just may have given me the confidence boost I needed to give this route a shot!

I'll let you guys know how everything goes. #AllFingersCrossed

My two cents. Yes, those of us that bought and let Tesla install the MCU2 Upgrade - agreed/understood we would lose FM radio. But we figured out how to add it back since Tesla choose not to.

Right now, there's two groups. 1) That will DIY put the radio back. We just need a minor configuration change that actually matches the 2018+ cars. the configuration is nothing new. This is for Tesla to accommodate and could be done remotely. Cost is not an issue, because its up to the owner to figure out best path.

The second group, 2) need everything done, Tesla to install the radio, connect it, and change the configuration. I estimate cost to be at least $600 (Radio $228 + 1-2 hours of labor at $175.00 +tax). Currently Tesla is not making this an available option.

Those of us that want MCU2 are a large number. Those that didn't want to lose and want FM radio are currently a small number. But as more get MCU2, more are going to be vocal. I believe when that number gets large enough, it will also be loud enough to get some attention, and Tesla will change their position. It is going to be important to voice your opinion to get Tesla to change their position.

Awesome. Thanks @Akikiki!

I'm debating where to get my Tuner2 from, especially now that my Tuner1 is out of the car.

I fear Tesla is just going to sell me the tuner by itself and I might end up having to build the mounting bracket myself, (which I don't want to do). The other option is to source a Tuner2 from a wrecked Model S with MCU2 for less money, hoping the Tuner didn't get damaged on the accident or the removal process. Personally, I rather pay Tesla a bit more for the Tuner2 (considering it does come with its mounting bracket) than risk a bit more through the wrecked Model S route.

Decisions, decisions...

In Europe (not sure about the US but can’t see why it would be different?) the mounting bracket is physically part of tuner2 and I can’t see how the two could be separated as they’re (sort of) riveted together. If Tesla supply it over here, it is definitely one integrated part if that helps at all, and was a direct swap.

For anybody looking for it, the EU part number with DAB for tuner2 is 1143714-00-C.

No one is charting the time it takes for each SC to perform the work. Some are taking longer than others. I think most of those times its because they didn't get all the parts they needed maybe they didn't know what they needed and failed to order or they didn't get the right stuff when they ordered.

Remember part of this process is the same - swapping a MCU, other parts not so new. And until each SC and each MCU2 team at that SC has done a couple, they are going to be slower as they take their time getting it right. We heard already some are losing previous car settings and infuriating the owners. Others have figure out how to avoid that. Until they each has it, turn around is going to be more than a day. But I believe it will pickup through summer and will be a day at most. Labor is included, they don't want to spend a day on each car. That's a money loser.

Mine would have been a day if they had been able to do it at one time. They had a wrong part and had to order it. Getting the part took a week. It was done in a day if we compress all the time working. And that was the first one at my SC.

Its going to get better.

FM Radio DIYer's might want to look at this. If you are wondering what the connection to the back of the MCU2 digital port (J27) looks like, here's a pictures. It did not exists on MCU1. I had to disassemble my dash both sides, remove my MCU2 so I could get to the back of the MCU so that I could simply plug that white cable into that black J27 port. Its the connection between the MCU and the Model 3 Tuner2 that I am using.

6 - Back of MCU2.JPEG
Its the new port to the left of the green Fakra connector. One empty, one plugged in with the Teslatap custom cable.

5 - Back of MCU2.JPEG

DIYer's if you intend to add the FM Tuner2 to your car, you might want to get the Tuner2-MCU2 Ethernet twister-pair cable and get it routed to the bottom of your MCU1,behind the cubby before you take your car to the SC for MCU2 installation. Otherwise, you will need to do what I did - remove MCU2 just to plug the cable in to J27

If you look at this next picture, you will understand the tight-quarters we are working in. Use these pictures to get a reference point by noticing the RED and GREEN Fakra connectors plugged in. Notice next to the GREEN Fakra the square black hole. That's J27. (You can barely see the GREEN Fakra connector with it's purple spot.) This picture is taken from the far right side of my MCU, after I removed the right side dash trim and stood on my head to take the picture. I tried taping the new cable to a wooden 12" ruler, a long reach tool pickup, and long needle nose pliers trying to experiment with pushing the cable in without removing the MCU. Nothing came close.
Right side of MCU.JPEG

I encourage you to get a cable, or make one thread the path from about where the OBD II port is, to the underside of the MCU/cubby area, so its there and ready. Once you take your car in, make a special effort to get the tech to simply plug your new cable into the back of the MCU before they button up the dash. Maybe they will as its only a 15 second effort if the cable is loose at the bottom of the MCU. Otherwise, you are doing it yourself later. Even if you have not procured your Tuner2, its a good idea to have this done, while its easy. Else you are in for an 1-2 hour effort later.

Last edited:
Is this use case faster? MCU1/ap2. I note that oncoming traffic display on the IC is delayed. There is a quarter second latency. Car goes by, then image of car goes by. Kinda distracting like hearing dialog on a movie before lips move when out of sync. So, is this latency improved? Is this an unimportant visual thing (mcu/ic)? Or is this latency part of the AP system (AP hw).
I'm glad(?) that I'm not the only one that notices this. Do you also notice this latency when on NoA or AutoSteer? I do. There's nothing quite like having another car turn across in front of you and while it's entering the side street having your car react to the "stopped" car in the lane.

I'll know more on Monday, but:

(1) Speed, responsiveness and the immediate interactions of MCU2 vs. MCU1 is night and day.
(2) I think IC2 will also be quicker than IC1, but I don't know for sure. I too see the delays, but I'm guessing that's because the AP2.5 that I have right now takes longer to interpret video feeds before it can update the visuals on IC1... Hopefully HW3 that can process many more higher resolution frames (once the re-write occurs), will then update IC2 quicker.

Just a guess.
Have the delays you were seeing in the car's driving reactions with MCU1 been resolved with MCU2?
Fabulous that you see the delay too. We may not know where it is since we’re changing lots of parts (mcu/ic/AP), but I look forward to reading your opinion on overall effect once you get some drive time. Thanks.

IC2 is just a dumb screen driven by MCU. So yes you'll see improvements there.

nope. I see no measurable latency improvements switching between hw2.5 to hw3.
ic1->ic2 - there is.
Unfortunate in this case, but you are correct as usual.

I was pleasantly surprised when I dropped off my MS to have summer wheels/tires installed and I was told that they were going to install the FSD computer as well. Since others have replied to @BeesKnees that they have not observed any latency, I was slightly optimistic that it was just a "my car" issue and going from 2.5 to 3.0 would resolve the lag.

I realize that, for the most part, what we see on the car's screens are just a cleaned up version of what the car "sees". I say for the most part because last fall I had my car disengage NoA and go to AutoSteer with a warning on the I/C "Construction zone detected" even though we are all aware that MCU1 won't display cones. (no, I'm not a beta tester :( )

My two cents. Yes, those of us that bought and let Tesla install the MCU2 Upgrade - agreed/understood we would lose FM radio. But we figured out how to add it back since Tesla choose not to.

Right now, there's two groups. 1) That will DIY put the radio back. We just need a minor configuration change that actually matches the 2018+ cars. the configuration is nothing new. This is for Tesla to accommodate and could be done remotely. Cost is not an issue, because its up to the owner to figure out best path.

The second group, 2) need everything done, Tesla to install the radio, connect it, and change the configuration. I estimate cost to be at least $600 (Radio $228 + 1-2 hours of labor at $175.00 +tax). Currently Tesla is not making this an available option.

Those of us that want MCU2 are a large number. Those that didn't want to lose and want FM radio are currently a small number. But as more get MCU2, more are going to be vocal. I believe when that number gets large enough, it will also be loud enough to get some attention, and Tesla will change their position. It is going to be important to voice your opinion to get Tesla to change their position.

I agree... time for us to all tweet Elon again. :cool:

Last edited: