Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So impressions with the upgrade:

Long and short of it, definitely a great upgrade. Highly recommend it if you're planning on holding on to the car for a while. But if you do, make a checklist to make sure you're set after the upgrade

If some day you put your MCU2 car up for sale and there are other like year, optioned, FSD but MCU1 S's or X's for sale, which do you think will sell better and sooner? I believe our MCU2 cars will bring a better price than MCU1 cars. I don't think it will bring $2500 more, but we will get some of that $2500 back. Maybe not in trade to Tesla, but private sale - uh huh. :)

By the way, even though FM radio is gone, Tune In sounds much better than it did before with MCU2.

Got a call from Tesla. The upgrade is being delayed by another week. Parts are still missing (the FSD computer).

Another call from Tesla and another delay for my MCU/FSD upgrade. Originally scheduled for May 11. :(
They still haven’t received my FSD computer. They pushed the service appointment by another week, but honestly they have no idea when the parts will arrive. No ETA.

I've read no reports - honest - of MCU2 rebooting while driving.
My wife's 2018 Model S with MCU2 apparently reboots regularly enough while driving, that when I once drove my teenage daughter once and my MCU1 rebooted, she told me "mom's car does it all the time". I know my wife doesn't even know the two thumb salute reboot, so apparently MCU2 just reboots spontaneously. Oh, also, my wife stopped telling me about any such issues because she really doesn't want to go through the hassle of Tesla service, especially that most of the time they come back with "just wait for a new firmware upgrade", even for things like stupid folding mirror which was not unfolding all the way - it took 4 visits to SC to fix, and by the last one my wife told be to duct tape the freaking mirror because she had enough of wasting time going to the service center (not SC's fault btw, Tesla engineering released a bad design and took few months to correct it, we got 3 or 4 mirror assemblies swapped before getting a one which doesn't go limp while driving).

• Informative
Reactions: Akikiki
My wife's 2018 Model S with MCU2 apparently reboots regularly enough while driving, that when I once drove my teenage daughter once and my MCU1 rebooted, she told me "mom's car does it all the time". I know my wife doesn't even know the two thumb salute reboot, so apparently MCU2 just reboots spontaneously. Oh, also, my wife stopped telling me about any such issues because she really doesn't want to go through the hassle of Tesla service

Right. So your cars have issues and you complain about them rather than even try to get them fixed. I guess if you don't get them fixed it means you can keep complaining. Hasn't this been going on exactly this way for years? You should have your own YouTube channel.

Right. So your cars have issues and you complain about them rather than even try to get them fixed. I guess if you don't get them fixed it means you can keep complaining. Hasn't this been going on exactly this way for years? You should have your own YouTube channel.

My MCU1 freezes and needs reboots all the time. Should I complain to service about that

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka
Since FSD MCU1 is borderline unusable. I am not complaining about web browser but the default maps is so laggy that if you miss your exit and by the time nav reroutes will miss another exit.
I actually did factoy reset due to severe lag after FSD computer upgrade and noted old color maps prior to downloading new maps! Why is Tesla uploading new maps over old maps?

My wife's 2018 Model S with MCU2 apparently reboots regularly enough while driving
it should be noted that you don't know if you have a reboot or a UI restart unless you closely time it (and yes, hvac and music cuts and so on even on just the UI restart so cannot depend on it)

I've seen plenty of UI restarts, full node reboots are rather rare in my experience on the other hand.

it should be noted that you don't know if you have a reboot or a UI restart unless you closely time it (and yes, hvac and music cuts and so on even on just the UI restart so cannot depend on it)

I've seen plenty of UI restarts, full node reboots are rather rare in my experience on the other hand.

verygreen, How to identify a UI restart vs reboot? (when the screen(s) go blank while driving)

For people who've done the upgrade, how is listening to the radio only through streaming? Is it frustrating, or not a big deal? (I like to flip between channels while driving quite often I suppose)
Wait... can't you test this out already using your MCU1?
It is seriously stupid that Tesla won't install a new tuner to go along with it o_O
Personally I'm thrilled they are doing MCU1 to MCU2 upgrades at all. That was HUGE! Geez. They probably should have allowed another $500-600 option for those that can't live without their FM. I only used it at the Drive-In movies occasionally.

The MCU1 takes ages to buffer any of the streaming channels. I wanted to know if the performance on the MCU2 is better or still painfully slow to switch channels?

Wait... can't you test this out already using your MCU1?

Personally I'm thrilled they are doing MCU1 to MCU2 upgrades at all. That was HUGE! Geez. They probably should have allowed another $500-600 option for those that can't live without their FM. I only used it at the Drive-In movies occasionally.