Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, the side repeater cams on the HW2.0 are RCCC, so there could be difference in color between the rear and side repeater for the originally HW2.0 vesicles which is fine but I hope they don't leave this out for MCU1 + HW3.0 vehicles.

The more I think about the more I think MCU2+AP2.5 computer, not cameras, will be the minimum for this. The reason I'm thinking this is that MCU1 doesn't get the Dashcam/Sentry viewer does it? So it may be that MCU1 doesn't have the resources to play two streaming video feeds on the screen. (The rear camera is an overlay, so it isn't using significant computing resources to play it.)

Reactions: drklain
When I see video footage from my RCCC cameras compared to my rear camera, the image on the RCCC makes the video look like its an overcast or rainy day.
In some rural areas it is common to have one flashing signal with only one bulb, often continuously flashing yellow for say N-S traffic and continuously flashing red for say E-W traffic. Can the RCCC cameras handle such situations or do they depend on the typical stoplight with three bulbs of red-yellow-green in that order? My impression is RCCC somehow can handle my example even though the cameras are apparently more color blind than I am and I am unable to handle the single flashing light scenario without effort. (I can handle the typical stoplight much easier because I know the relative positions of the three colors — and also green always looks like dirty white and red is darker than yellow.)

Last edited:
Well, my car is finally at the service center for the MCU upgrade (Tesla did the FSD computer upgrade for my MCU1/AP2 2016 Model S a few weeks back). I'm really impressed with the service part ordering process that Tesla is putting in place. I received an email on Tuesday, June 9th that parts had been ordered and that they were expected to be delivered on June 12th. I received another email on Sunday, June 14th saying that the parts had shipped on June 11th and were expected to deliver on June 12th.

I never received confirmation that the parts delivered, but, I thought I might as well move my appointment up on Sunday night when I received the email that the parts had shipped and were expected to have been delivered on the 12th. I used the Tesla app to change my appointment date from July 3rd to today. I dropped off the car this morning and was told that if everything goes well I should have the car back this afternoon.

I did change from the Buena Park to Costa Mesa, CA service center because it seems like Costa Mesa is a bit more on top of things or maybe just does more of this type of work (they also did my FSD upgrade and proactively offered to do the FSD upgrade separate from the MCU). I did receive a 5th service estimate for the work which also had a labor charge but after a quick chat with my service advisor a 6th estimate was sent to me without the labor charge. Based on the great feedback from this thread, I asked for double checks on HomeLink settings migration, mobile access, and ensuring that the cellular antennae is securely attached.

I'll post about my after-pick up experience. Thanks again to everyone for the extremely helpful feedback.

Well, my car is finally at the service center for the MCU upgrade (Tesla did the FSD computer upgrade for my MCU1/AP2 2016 Model S a few weeks back). I'm really impressed with the service part ordering process that Tesla is putting in place. I received an email on Tuesday, June 9th that parts had been ordered and that they were expected to be delivered on June 12th. I received another email on Sunday, June 14th saying that the parts had shipped on June 11th and were expected to deliver on June 12th.

Yes, I have similar experience and sometimes it makes me wonder what is going on at a few service centers where some owners say they can't get any updates on their upgrade ability or never get any initial notification that their car is ready for an update. I've been getting emails for a month and phone calls from the service center to say they can do one of my cars. So far, I said give it to someone else that has ants in their pants. After you have done at least 20 of these things, give me a call. Well, they give me a call and again send emails TWICE a week to indicate the current status of ordering the parts and delivery of them. So, I guess I will finally be confident enough at the end of the month to go get the HW3 and MCU2 as I want it to be done at the same time.

Reactions: Gt1948
Yes, I have similar experience and sometimes it makes me wonder what is going on at a few service centers where some owners say they can't get any updates on their upgrade ability or never get any initial notification that their car is ready for an update. I've been getting emails for a month and phone calls from the service center to say they can do one of my cars. So far, I said give it to someone else that has ants in their pants. After you have done at least 20 of these things, give me a call. Well, they give me a call and again send emails TWICE a week to indicate the current status of ordering the parts and delivery of them. So, I guess I will finally be confident enough at the end of the month to go get the HW3 and MCU2 as I want it to be done at the same time.
My SC told me to call back in a couple of months for infotainment upgrade. Advised that Tesla only doing HW3/infotainment together not separately. I had HW3 installed several weeks ago. Tesla has problems.

Reactions: Akikiki
My SC told me to call back in a couple of months for infotainment upgrade. Advised that Tesla only doing HW3/infotainment together not separately. I had HW3 installed several weeks ago. Tesla has problems.
Hmmm, bummer. Infotainment seems readily available here. So maybe just problems at some locations. I don't think I am getting any special treatment. Hope you get yours soon :)

Humans, can't get some to do the same job that others do best/better - I guess. Not all SCs and personnel are created equal, - I guess. I'm lucky to have access to such a great SC at the Honolulu SC.

From my SC we have learned what's possible for a standard of service. When you drop off your car at your SC, I encourage you to ask if they are having great success in saving/retaining you current profile & car's settings with upgrades they have already done. And if that's important to you, - to not have to start over - maybe you wish to cancel your appointment and come back in a few weeks - after they have practiced the upgrade on other's cars.

A few people have reported that after the picked up their cars, they could not unlock/lock the car with the app. Check your app before you leave and let them fix it then. It will help them too, as they add that to their checklist for the next person.

When I picked up my S after the MCU2 upgrade, it was great. I lost one setting, WiFi, but that's understandable anyway. We get a new WiFi modem in the new MCU so that modem had not connected to my home WiFi before, and all I had to do was select the network and enter the password. Bingo, done.

When you drop off your car at your SC, I encourage you to ask if they are having great success in saving/retaining you current profile & car's settings with upgrades they have already done. And if that's important to you, - to not have to start over - maybe you wish to cancel your appointment and come back in a few weeks - after they have practiced the upgrade on other's cars.
Amen. Yes, exactly my thought. I don't want to be an experiment. I get to the service center for other business reasons about once a month and said hey, after you have done at least 20 of these updates, then give me a call o_O and I will get mine done. Some folks are so anxious to get the update that they don't mind being among the first, but then complain that things got screwed up :( Here's hoping that everyone has a pleasant upgrade experience.

Humans, can't get some to do the same job that others do best/better - I guess. Not all SCs and personnel are created equal, - I guess. I'm lucky to have access to such a great SC at the Honolulu SC..

It does seem like you were able to get your service center to upgrade your MCU1/AP2 car with a MCU1/AP2.5 upgrade kit. So there is everything to be said to being nice, appreciative, and kind to service center personnel. After all, they are just humans.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
My car (MCU1/AP FSD) will have to stay at the service center overnight. After 3 failed attempts at firmware updates, the service center is escalating to engineering. I was really hoping for a same day turn on my MCU upgrade, but I was told that it isn't uncommon for there to be issues with firmware updates after the MCU update, and apparently it isn't clear why these issues exist.

Maybe there are issues with the data migration to the new MCU that cause firmware updates to fail. It will be interesting to see if the HomeLink and mobile access work properly when I pick up tomorrow. I'll let everyone know how it turns out tomorrow.

Yes, I agree. I was fortunate. They at first did not know my kit was a AP2.5 kit. Once they realized it didn't match cable-wise, they had to order a cable. They called me and explained it would take a week, and the only differences between AP 2.0 and AP2.5 kits for the MCU2 side is one cable. They had the wrong one. Took a week to get it. I had a nice loaner, and didn't go anywhere but back to the SC a week later anyway to get my car, so being without my own was absolutely no inconvenience.

We like the folks that are at our SC. Many have been there a while and we get to know them. I take donuts or special local pastries every time I go. They are nice people. And that makes it easy to be nice to them.

My car (MCU1/AP FSD) will have to stay at the service center overnight. After 3 failed attempts at firmware updates, the service center is escalating to engineering. I was really hoping for a same day turn on my MCU upgrade, but I was told that it isn't uncommon for there to be issues with firmware updates after the MCU update, and apparently it isn't clear why these issues exist.

Maybe there are issues with the data migration to the new MCU that cause firmware updates to fail. It will be interesting to see if the HomeLink and mobile access work properly when I pick up tomorrow. I'll let everyone know how it turns out tomorrow.

There's more than 125,000 MCU1 cars in the fleet. If only half opt for the MCU2 upgrade, that's a lot of upgrades spread across the SCs. So although its going to take practice for the SC techs and for the engineers to figure out what makes the other 98% go smoothly, they are using us as guinea pigs to figure it out. Those of us going first are gonna pay the price for those that come after. Nothing new to us, right?

I changed my mind after the repeater cam feature isn't coming to MCU1. Getting MCU2 upgrade after all. Parts are there waiting. Somehow they thought I would want it since I was the first attempt and they failed so they ordered an extra MCU only kit to pair with the FSD they already ordered.

I'll post the part numbers in both threads tomorrow morning when I can access my work laptop with Adobe pro. $2700 really hurts but we decided we're keeping the car and we'll pay crazy prices for added safety and convenience, especially future bonus features like sentry and this rearview feed. I can see a 95% awesome 360 view coming maybe.

@croman, I don't think you will regret it. I makes my car feel like it was refreshed to within 95%ish of a new car. It doesn't do anything about the few rattles, but the responsiveness in the screen, the benefits of dashcam and sentry and those just keep getting better are worth the money. And I didn't "need" the added benefit of dashcam. I already had 4 dashcams on mine. (Two Blackvue DR900-2CHs) for coverage.

Mine is a '17, and I have a year left on my warranty. With my worldly luck, my MCU1 would have lasted 13 months, and I would have been paying 65-70% of this upgrade just to put it back like it was with MCU1. I think I got a bargain with MCU2, and I won't have to spend again like this for the next 4+ years. And I believe I will recover part of this expense down the road when I sell it vice those that opt not to upgrade.

I changed my mind after the repeater cam feature isn't coming to MCU1. Getting MCU2 upgrade after all. Parts are there waiting. Somehow they thought I would want it since I was the first attempt and they failed so they ordered an extra MCU only kit to pair with the FSD they already ordered.

I'll post the part numbers in both threads tomorrow morning when I can access my work laptop with Adobe pro. $2700 really hurts but we decided we're keeping the car and we'll pay crazy prices for added safety and convenience, especially future bonus features like sentry and this rearview feed. I can see a 95% awesome 360 view coming maybe.

I get the price is a tough pill I’ll to swallow, but seriously, if you’re planning on holding to the car for a while, I think you are really going to enjoy essentially a “new life” on an old (in Tesla years) car. You’ll also be happy to not play the guessing game of “will I get it?” when you see a new feature come out.

If you get the extended warranty through X-Care still, don’t forget to ask for the extra 25k mile free coverage now that you’ll have a new IC and MCU.

2. Mobile access is screwed up. I can't unlock the car using app (weirdly, I can lock and use keyless start), open trunk or frunk. Everything else on the app works. This was also part of my checklist based on another forum user’s experience.

Both these issues are being worked on remotely by Tesla. Highly doubt I'll get my settings back because they couldn't transfer it from my old MCU before they swapped in the new one (transfer failed). And it seems Tesla Paramus was using usb to transfer the settings as opposed to using the online toolbox Tesla provides.

Follow up to this, Tesla fixed this today. If anyone has this issue, the service center will need to get engineering or a level 5 tech to access garage in toolbox and reset the security keys.

Apparently there is a step at the end of the MCU upgrade that can be missed which requires the security key reset.

THANK YOU. @Red_DS. This will help many people - many more than you can imagine. Its already popped up several times. We've heard it before on a couple of MCU1 replacements - but years ago.

Now, with your help, we can use what you said here to point the SC guys to the right process to restore them right away. Good post. Thank you.

Let's not forget too. This is a replacement purchased from Tesla. Touchscreen warranty is four years and does not include a mileage limitation. Whether is MCU1 or MCU2, the Touchscreen warranty is four years. That's an added bonus regardless of which one you are doing.

Vehicle Warranty
Parts, Body and Paint Repair Limited Warranty

Repair or replacement of Tesla-branded parts purchased directly from Tesla, over-the-counter, online or purchased and installed by Tesla Service or a Tesla Body Shop, may be covered under the Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty.

This limited warranty covers the repair or replacement necessary to remedy any “failures” that are determined by Tesla to have occurred under normal use.

“Failure” means the complete failure or inability of a covered part to perform the function(s) for which it was designed, due to defects in material or workmanship of the part manufactured or supplied by Tesla, which occur under normal use. Failure does not include the gradual loss in operating performance due to normal wear and tear.

The Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty begins on the purchase date of the part(s), and coverage extends for a period of 12 months. Specific categories of parts have unique warranty coverage periods:
  • Sheet metal: Limited lifetime
  • Drive Unit: 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first
  • Vehicle High Voltage Battery: 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first
  • Wall Connectors: 4 years
  • Touchscreen and microcontroller unit: 4 years