Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's what my Service Center just ordered for me. This is my invoice work lines with part numbers. I think they are trying to use my old screen (which is actually pretty new I think since I got a new MCU). If that's the case, I hope they'll discount the job but they didn't mark that as such. Everyone else has been getting new touchscreens as part of the $2500 package.

The line item 2 last part is the no display part. I received a service parts email with the same part description as yours listed above but they share the same part number. I also ordered my FSD computer separately and this could be just them cobbling together a full kit without ordering a whole one.

View attachment 553607
Thank you for showing your service estimate. Between my original estimate (for FSD retrofit only) and the new part ordered for the MCU2 upgrade "without display", I now have every part number ordered that your estimate shows. This at least gives me confidence they are ordering the correct parts.

I just received the invoice for the work on my car and was charged $250 less than I anticipated. I promptly got a call saying I was charged for an MCU upgrade without a new screen, even though I received a new screen. So I was refunded and then charged again. It all happened on the app, so I don't have a copy of the old service invoice. But I think you are right and you shouldn't be paying the full amount if you aren't getting a new screen.
Well, this is an interesting development that I had not read about. I had no idea that the MCU screen could be separated from the computer itself. I thought it was one unit. Is there any difference between the new screens installed today and my 3.5-year-old screen? I have had no issues with yellowing borders or the like, so if it stays in the upgrade, I guess I'll be OK with that. But it better come with a discount off the $2500.

Good to know. Just out of curiosity, how long do you plan to keep your S or is that not even a factor in your decision?

I have a Dec 2016 and I’m debating to purchase FSD (before Jun 30) and do the MCU upgrade, which means I keep the car at least another 3+ years or do nothing now and trade it in within the next 12 months or so.

I'm definitely keeping my car for the near term. As long as the total cost of ownership makes sense for what it provides. It's our only car.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Just scheduled mine a few days ago. 10/16 HW2.0 MCU1 to HW3 MCU2 (lines 1 and 3 unrelated). Got a parts on order email for the harness but not for the other parts. Service appt pushed out to 7/3 for wait for parts.
upload_2020-6-19_13-33-9.png

upload_2020-6-19_13-33-24.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Art VandeIay
If Tesla stopped “stealing” them, they would run out of MCU1’s to rebuild for broken MCU1’s and then would have to replace MCU1’s with free MCU2’s. Imagine the hue and cry from those who paid $2500 for the upgrade.:D
Really? Amazing. That's really what you think would happen. My goodness. One might wonder if they would even work on your car when it needs something done the way you talk about them. If you dislike the way they do business, why are you driving one of these cars?

MCU1 to MCU2 and FSD computer AP 2.0

Dropped this morning at 9:30. Was done at 3pm. Dash and trim pieces were put in very nicely. They were replaced at my expense in graphite. Car was calibrated shortly and dashcam works. Verified as AP 2.0 as colors are not normal to most on viewer. IC had film removed. Overall positive experience.

Ok, so for the last time (probably not), the IC was definitely replaced as part of the MCU upgrade, correct?

Yes I am positive. While I didn't hit the previous one with a hammer so I could be sure. I can say it looks remarkably nicer in appearance.

Those previous reports I surmise were from yet to be informed employees on the process or the kit components.

Ok, so for the last time (probably not), the IC was definitely replaced as part of the MCU upgrade, correct?
The IC screen in MCU1 cars was connected to the MCU by a data cable because it had its own GPU for driving the display. The IC screen in MCU2 cars is connected via a video cable because it's just a secondary display that's controlled by the MCU. If you get your MCU upgraded, and the IC screen works, you may be positive that it is an upgraded replacement and not the original. If it were the original, it couldn't even be connected because of cable incompatibility.

Right now, the upgrade kits being received by the Service Centers include a brand new touchscreen, as well (already mounted on the new MCU2). I'm surprised at that because I thought the same touchscreen was compatible with both MCUs. Perhaps both displays, I've no real idea why the touchscreen gets replaced.

The IC screen in MCU1 cars was connected to the MCU by a data cable because it had its own GPU for driving the display. The IC screen in MCU2 cars is connected via a video cable because it's just a secondary display that's controlled by the MCU. If you get your MCU upgraded, and the IC screen works, you may be positive that it is an upgraded replacement and not the original. If it were the original, it couldn't even be connected because of cable incompatibility.

Right now, the upgrade kits being received by the Service Centers include a brand new touchscreen, as well (already mounted on the new MCU2). I'm surprised at that because I thought the same touchscreen was compatible with both MCUs. Perhaps both displays, I've no real idea why the touchscreen gets replaced.

there’s quite a bit of misinformation out there, a lot of it coming from SCs and service advisors saying that the IC isn’t replaced during the upgrade. This is the first I’ve heard of a different cable which makes it a lot more certain that it’d need to be changed.

There is also an option and part number to just replace the MCU without the touchscreen for $250 less (discussed above in this post: MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.0 - WITHOUT DISPLAY - NORTH AMERICA
Part #: 9874562-00-B)

Last edited:
Reactions: croman
there’s quite a bit of misinformation out there, a lot of it coming from SCs and service advisors saying that the IC isn’t replaced during the upgrade. This is the first I’ve heard of a different cable which makes it a lot more certain that it’d need to be changed.

There is also an option and part number to just replace the MCU without the touchscreen for $250 less (discussed over in another post)

Techs are not super knowledgeable about these kinds of very new upgrades. This is very easy hardware to install but it's the software that creates headaches. So techs hate this work too. Expect the lowest, greenest tech to be assigned primary work because it's a lot of settings and firmware deploys. That's my guess. Then again it might be the most profitable work since it's not warranty.

Actually both ICs use the same cable. It is just Ethernet on the MCU1 and LVDS on the MCU2.

Did the IC get replaced? This is what people are worrying about? I fail to understand what difference it makes if we don't fully know if the IC is replaced or not. I am confident that a new IC that's compatible with MCU2 is installed. But back to my first. I can tell because I recognize the difference. But most won't until they see it. So, what difference does it make, as long as it works? Owners are not signing up for a MCU2 Upgrade where the Infotainment page clearly states that it also includes a new IC2.

Reactions: HankLloydRight

There is also an option and part number to just replace the MCU without the touchscreen for $250 less (discussed above in this post: MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.0 - WITHOUT DISPLAY - NORTH AMERICA
Part #: 9874562-00-B)
I started to keep track of all the invoice options. It is a little hodgepodge. The one that saws 'Upgrad[e] wit Replacement Touchscre[e]n' seems hand entered with the 3 missing letters.

3FSYM8O.jpg

I'm surprised that the invoice without display shows a discount. Has no bearing on owner's car if they reuse his screen or not. He wasn't getting it back anyway. Its warranted the same whether they re-use his or not. Or is it? Maybe his actual touchscreen won't have the same 4 year warranty the rest of the MCU will have.

So a discount on the upgrade of $250 since Tesla re-used the owner's screen. Hmm, I wonder if that screen fails before the rest of the MCU fails and has to be replaced, if the cost to replace including labor will be only $250? Hmm. I'd be finding out before I proceeded.

Incidentally, I just heard today there's a shortage of screens.