Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
croman - I'm very curious about your experience with Dash Cam "stuttering" videos and MCU1/MCU2 you mentioned in an earlier post.
Did you find that after your MCU2 upgrade that the pixelation/stuttering went away?
I've been testing mine with various USB sticks (all formatted with exFat), but so far all I can determine is some of my older Dash Cam videos worked fine, while newer videos have the pixelation/stuttering issue.
Can you explain a little what you've found?

I ordered my Tesla FM Radio to MCU2 Cable | eBay cable on Friday. Frank said that the remaining 9 cables he is building should be on eBay by this weekend.

I saw the cable for sale on E-Bay and was going to buy it also, but then I read that even with the cable, there is no current way that anyone knows of to "activate" the new tuner even if it is physically all installed. Do you know of a way to get this done? I'm all in if someone has found a way to do the activation in software.

I saw the cable for sale on E-Bay and was going to buy it also, but then I read that even with the cable, there is no current way that anyone knows of to "activate" the new tuner even if it is physically all installed. Do you know of a way to get this done? I'm all in if someone has found a way to do the activation in software.
One would need root access to change the configuration file in the gateway. Few people have such skill, especially on the new, most encrypted, firmware releases.

This is exactly my understanding. So then what's the point of getting the cable?
Hope. Pure and simple.

Hope that Tesla would allow owners to alter their cars, especially if the vehicles are out of warranty, and work with those owners in a friendly manner to support the long term ownership of those vehicles. What other car manufacturers refuse to allow aftermarket tinkering with their vehicles, and not allow you to pay them to help in the maintenance? Charge for the service. Charge for the service to fix the vehicle if the owner screws it up. Or at least allow 3rd party repair shops access to the configuration of vehicles and charge those shops for that software access. If the radio change would not allow the software to work with the vehicle, then say so. But this is a radio connection. If that breaks their software, then they have very poor software engineers.

I'd not worry too much. The upgrade kit is shipped to the SC marked with your VIN, and it cannot be used on anyone else's car, at least that's the way it's done at my SC in Ohio.

Well not exactly, but close :). As you say, maybe that is just how your SC did does it. Parts came in for my car many weeks ago and I told the service center I did not want to get it done yet. He said they will give it to another customer with the same configuration. Now I am ready to do it, so they ordered the parts a couple weeks ago and they came in 2 days later.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
One our posts started describing some specific things for people to check when they pickup their cars after the upgrade. But its going to get lost to those that follow if they don't know to go back and read old stuff. Simply not a good way to keep a new list current. Even creating a new thread, we lost editing ability of the first posts.

The length of this thread is unreal. This topic maybe deserves a separate forum section to allow for posts specifically addressing different aspects of this upgrade

One our posts started describing some specific things for people to check when they pickup their cars after the upgrade. But its going to get lost to those that follow if they don't know to go back and read old stuff. Simply not a good way to keep a new list current. Even creating a new thread, we lost editing ability of the first posts.
yes, agree, and the reason why I usually copy the contents of such posts to a word document on my computer. I can never seem to go back and find them when I need them.

Reactions: Akikiki
Anyone with MCU2 upgrade notice USB Drive speed increase or test the USB power output?

My 2016 AP2.0 USB ports would put about .5 amps out through the front ports and slightly more through the rears.

Well, I have no way to measure it but YES, there does appear to be more amperage at least in the two facing forward. I can tell because I had made and printed a 3D slide-in wireless charger for my LG phone:

MS wireless chargerLG.jpg

and had to buy a USB cigarette lighter adapter to power it - when I had plugged it into the USB slots before it would not work. I just tried it - and it works. I then checked the phone's wireless time to fully charge when plugged into the USB slot and when plugged into the cigarette USB adapter. Both showed the same time so both are putting out the same amperage (although I don't know how much - this adapter was a freebie without any specs).

Thanks for the question - I now know I can get rid of that adapter :)

Thanks Red_DS. The SC texted me and told me that the technician found that my profile hadn't completely restored preventing the vehicle form communicating properly with the app. The technician restored the profile and verified all systems are now working properly. Said I can come up and pickup.
Looking forward to it!

EDIT: Somehow I am not able to quote the Red_DS original message.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red_DS
Come to think of it, you're probably right. I don't think they're changing the USB harness so we're probably still limited to USB 2 speed. I wish there was a way to test USB speed in the car

I am happy the power has been increased for previously-stated reasons. As for speed, I now have TeslaCam, use a Samsung FIT Plus 128G flash drive and it 'records/plays back' fine, so speed is also adequate. What do you need "fast" speed for?