Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s the same part on my invoice. I received a new IC and MCU screen though not listed on the paperwork.View attachment 566030
@blodg1 First I've heard of a bluetooth antenna being run (which presumably supports bluetooth unlocking of the car?). Or was there an issue with your bluetooth antenna for phone to interface with MCU? I saw no mention of those parts on my MCU2/AP3 upgrade paperwork.

My car has been in the service center since Friday. today I got a text saying they ran into firmware upgrade issues and will need additional day. I thought I read something on here before where someone else experienced the same thing but I cannot seem to find the thread.

2017 Model S Ap2 Upgrading to HW3 and MCU2.

Reactions: Gt1948
My car has been in the service center since Friday. today I got a text saying they ran into firmware upgrade issues and will need additional day. I thought I read something on here before where someone else experienced the same thing but I cannot seem to find the thread.

2017 Model S Ap2 Upgrading to HW3 and MCU2.
Tell them to make sure they set

Dashw 4
AutopilotCameraType 1

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors
Are you the original owner, and/or do you know if the screen has been replaced once already?

Given the age of your car I suspect the original screen lost its magic goo and was replaced with one that yellowed.
I purchased the car from Tesla this year with 30k miles on it. The IC had bubbles at delivery and they have since replaced it. Considering that, your are probably correct in assuming Tesla replaced the MCU screen in the past.

That’s the same part on my invoice. I received a new IC and MCU screen though not listed on the paperwork.View attachment 566030
Buddy of mine with an AP1 car is being told by the SC in Rockville that they can't do an MCU2 upgrade for his car, which just had it's original MCU die.

This is despite his providing the "MCU2 for AP1" part #'s from this thread. I'm wondering if it's due to his VIN having a wiring harness that there isn't yet a retrofit for as referred to on this invoice.

Oh, and

Dashw is "DAS HARDWARE" (driver assistance system) - the Autopilot computer. 0 is nothing, 1 is ap1, 2 is AP2.0, 3 is ap2.5, 4 is the FSD computer.

AutopilotCameraType 1 is for the 2.0 RCCC cameras. AutopilotCameraType 2 is the RCCB 2.5/3.0 cameras.

Thus for a 2.0 > 3.0 fsd computer retrofit you need

Dashw 4
AutopilotCameraType 1

Looks like my car is now in Engineering hold. I gave them your suggestion, who knows if the service center tried it. Let's hope I get my car back this week :(

yes sir, and I am one of them that it would not work for me.
As a side note, there was a time when Tesla would come pick up my car, put it in a covered van, take it to the service center, do their thing, and then bring it back the same day. That was great, but no longer.

You'd rather have uber credits than a SR model 3?

Just dropped off my S. Uber credits for the next 2 weeks. Smh

Looks like my car is now in Engineering hold. I gave them your suggestion, who knows if the service center tried it. Let's hope I get my car back this week :(

My car has been in now for many days - I suspect a similar issue. They say that the hardware updates are done, but that they are having trouble with the firmware upgrade. They pushed my completion date from Friday -> Saturday -> today -> tomorrow. We’ll see.

My car has been in now for many days - I suspect a similar issue. They say that the hardware updates are done, but that they are having trouble with the firmware upgrade. They pushed my completion date from Friday -> Saturday -> today -> tomorrow. We’ll see.
Sounds familiar. Although my car was updated before noon, they had to keep it over night to get the firmware working.

"Parts Outstanding
  1. MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.0 - NORTH AMERICA
    Part #: 9874562-00-A
    Order Date: June 2, 2020
    Ship Date: Pending"
Just got this... My appt for Jul 31st is still scheduled.

The best part is there is an entire month before that where they kept telling me they didnt have the parts until they finally said yes and "ordered" them on June 2.

Has anyone at all seen this Ship Date be anything other than pending / or did it ever change for them??

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911