Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car was finished ahead of schedule ( took only 2 days instead of 6 ).....Darn, didn't get a chance to use my $700 in uber credits....it would be awesome if the uber credits stayed in your account, hehehe

* Compared to other car dealers that offer u a lame shuttle ride to a train station, I think what Tesla offers is awesome but their app only service appointment system leaves much to be desired.

I just found this plug on the floor of the car. I am very impressed that the SC would change an MCU plug rather than adding an adaptor. Unless this was on the new MCU and discarded.
IMG_2116.jpeg

Reactions: TSchaefer
I'm curious - what are they charging you and why make the jump? I've got a 2016 P90D with AP1...just curious if this is something I should be looking at or not.

i was going to do it no matter what. I wanted faster everything. Faster to every touch, faster/better maps, Netflix and other fun screen stuff. It’s $2500 plus tax.

but my main screen has been glitchy for forever. I have 127k miles and lately it has even taken up to 10 mins for my main screen and AC to come on. Needed this ASAP before mcu dies. I also have major bubbles in IC screen and i hear i will get a new one so free solution there.

i mean it’s gonna feel like a 2020 model S on the inside as far as tech goes. Worth $2500 easy and a must to ever sell the car. Why not enjoy it?! Shall i go on... haha

I just found this plug on the floor of the car. I am very impressed that the SC would change an MCU plug rather than adding an adaptor. Unless this was on the new MCU and discarded.View attachment 566771

I watched step by step on my MCU being replaced. They didn't have any wiring harnesses that looked like this. The existing harnesses were just plug and play. They did however add one harness but it was a small harness with plugs on both ends that was about 12 inches long. The back of the screen had a few plugs that looked this. Could of been off of your old unit. They use the existing mounting brackets between the screens and the MCU units.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Buddy of mine with an AP1 car is being told by the SC in Rockville that they can't do an MCU2 upgrade for his car, which just had it's original MCU die.

This is despite his providing the "MCU2 for AP1" part #'s from this thread. I'm wondering if it's due to his VIN having a wiring harness that there isn't yet a retrofit for as referred to on this invoice.

Do you know what the manufacture date of your buddy's AP1 car is? I was able to at least schedule an appointment with Owings Mills for an AP1.0 upgrade to MCU2 (March 2015 S85) though I haven't heard anything past the estimate of repairs. I will note that the part number I had in my estimate ended in -A vs the -B we've been seeing. I figure your referencing plural part #s means you were already tracking that, though.

The only other oddity I can think of is what was referenced a few posts back about the power liftgate. I have it (along with all the other Tech Pkg goodies that came during that era of options reshuffling) and appear to be moving forward with the service visit at the end of the month but if your friend does not, then perhaps there are other nuances that will keep them from being eligible. I seem to remember the progression of power liftgate inclusion had more than a few different names and co-technologies after finally being made a standard inclusion some time after our purchases.

Definite fingers crossed for me as this is my only car and I sorta need it for all those car things it does. Tesla had my address wrong in the estimate, but since the resent it again today (still wrong address) I went ahead and accepted it. Not sure that has any bearing on any timelines.

Good luck to your friend!

Do you know what the manufacture date of your buddy's AP1 car is? I was able to at least schedule an appointment with Owings Mills for an AP1.0 upgrade to MCU2 (March 2015 S85) though I haven't heard anything past the estimate of repairs. I will note that the part number I had in my estimate ended in -A vs the -B we've been seeing. I figure your referencing plural part #s means you were already tracking that, though.

The only other oddity I can think of is what was referenced a few posts back about the power liftgate. I have it (along with all the other Tech Pkg goodies that came during that era of options reshuffling) and appear to be moving forward with the service visit at the end of the month but if your friend does not, then perhaps there are other nuances that will keep them from being eligible. I seem to remember the progression of power liftgate inclusion had more than a few different names and co-technologies after finally being made a standard inclusion some time after our purchases.

Definite fingers crossed for me as this is my only car and I sorta need it for all those car things it does. Tesla had my address wrong in the estimate, but since the resent it again today (still wrong address) I went ahead and accepted it. Not sure that has any bearing on any timelines.

Good luck to your friend!
Thanks... I'm not sure.. I'll ask him.

The wiring harness possibility jumped out at me because when he installed his sub, it appears that he had some changes in his harness that were "in between" a couple of the wiring diagrams he found...

I'll ask him about the tailgate too.

Thanks for chiming in.

i was going to do it no matter what. I wanted faster everything. Faster to every touch, faster/better maps, Netflix and other fun screen stuff. It’s $2500 plus tax.

but my main screen has been glitchy for forever. I have 127k miles and lately it has even taken up to 10 mins for my main screen and AC to come on. Needed this ASAP before mcu dies. I also have major bubbles in IC screen and i hear i will get a new one so free solution there.

i mean it’s gonna feel like a 2020 model S on the inside as far as tech goes. Worth $2500 easy and a must to ever sell the car. Why not enjoy it?! Shall i go on... haha

Gotcha. This doesn’t allow for an upgrade to AP2 or AP3, right?

Another happy customer with the MCU 2 upgrade. 2017 Model X with FSD computer. Repeating what the others are saying - faster overall performance, newer screen (hopefully yellow proof), better audio for some reason (not sure why this is the case - i was skeptical when others were saying this). Feels like a new car. I guess till MCU 3 comes out. Like the camera viewer functionality, as well as the side repeater camera views.

Lucky. I showed them videos of mine blacking out and crashing. They refused to replace and said its fine just double wheel scroll reset

I had been reporting issues for almost a year. I took it in 3 times for freezing and random reboot issue. They did factory restart 2 times and scroll wheel reboot also. I have been super upset with SC. I am super lucky and glad it finally went out completely before my warranty ran out. Hopefully this wont happen again for a while, and I can plan for it better, maybe MCU3 will be out by then and it may have a more permanent fix. I am also now very scared to enable PIN to drive and charging schedule because I basically got locked out of the car and couldn't charge. Lastly,